[Request] Category selection for Unique Item Sounds setting in sound options menu

Having just bought the cosmic mining and logging tools, I was confused when no sound effect played when using them. Then I realised I have my unique item sound effects switched off in the sound options menu.

However this is a problem for me - I switched this setting to off because it allows me to not be disturbed by the very irritating ticking sound of the counterweight moving on the sextant of astralaria... I cannot enjoy the game while hearing that sound.

I request the Sound Options menu have a few separate categories for unique sound effects that can be individually set with the same drop down menu as the current blanket category of all unique item sound effects:

- Legendary weapon sounds

- Mount sounds

- Glider sounds

- Gathering tool sounds

- any more?

While this doesn't offer the full range of granularity within categories (ie I might like the sound effect of one legendary weapon but hate the sound effect of another, while wanting to use both for their visual effects), it at least allows some further customisation for the player.

I really like the sound of the cosmic mining tool, but don't want to hear that ticking sound of astralaria. I hope implementing this solution is possible in the near future so I can enjoy both items separately for the sound and visual effects. For the time being I will have to play without unique sound for the gathering tools.

> @"SmirkDog.3160" said:

> Doesn't the queen bee aura have a buzzing sound? I'd like to be without that as well.

Dunno, never used/heard it, but sure maybe auras/infusion could be a separate category.

Ideally it would be great if we could toggle on/off unique sounds on each individual item/glider/mount/etc, but I imagine that level of customisation might not be possible.

> @"joneirikb.7506" said:

> Another solution would be to turn off all sounds from other characters, while still hearing your own.

>

> (Personally very happy with tuning all those sounds off!)

That doesn't help this situation though, because for one item category I'd want to hear unique sounds on my character (gathering tools) but for another item (legendary weapons) I'd want to turn off unique sounds on my character. Currently the only option is a blanket off/on for everything that's an item.

For everyone who is interested: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/502036

> @"joneirikb.7506" said:

> Another solution would be to turn off all sounds from other characters, while still hearing your own.

"Other characters" have nothing to do with it. You can turn off those sounds for other players. The problem is that you can't, for instance, turn off your own legendary weapons' sounds without also turning off all your other unique item sounds, including those of your gathering tools and mounts (silent gathering is kinda awful).

**Packing all those sounds into one category is a terrible idea.**

Now if I want to be able to hear all my other unique item sounds, I cannot silence the electric buzzing from Bolt; that forced me to transmute Bolt into another sword skin. That is the exact opposite of a QoL update - this particular change came with the gathering tools update; that's when _all_ item sounds that are considered "unique" were packed into a single "sound channel" (i.e., sound category in the game's sound settings).

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> For everyone who is interested: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/502036

>

> > @"joneirikb.7506" said:

> > Another solution would be to turn off all sounds from other characters, while still hearing your own.

>

> "Other characters" have nothing to do with it. You can turn off those sounds for other players. The problem is that you can't, for instance, turn off your own legendary weapons' sounds without also turning off all your other unique item sounds, including those of your gathering tools and mounts (silent gathering is kinda awful).

>

> **Packing all those sounds into one category is a terrible idea.**

>

> Now if I want to be able to hear all my other unique item sounds, I cannot silence the electric buzzing from Bolt; that forced me to transmute Bolt into another sword skin. That is the exact opposite of a QoL update - this particular change came with the gathering tools update; that's when _all_ item sounds that are considered "unique" were packed into a single "sound channel" (i.e., sound category in the game's sound settings).

I'm curious regarding mounts, because I have unique item sounds off which silences legendary weapons and gathering tools, but my stardrift skimmer mount still plays its unique sound effects such as the glitter on "jump" and deep echoing sounds compared with the normal skimmer. Which mounts does it affect for you?

Also on a related note I have no idea whether it also affects gliders as I don't yet own any glider skins beyond the basic one. Anyone with unique glider skins able to test this?

• 3 weeks later...

Please, ANet, make this happen! :o

I am currently being sound-tortured again while standing on the upper platform of the Royal Terrace, because there are several rangers who have their [Jacaranda pets](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/40488/solved-royal-terrace-strange-buzzing-sound-w-video "Jacaranda pets") out, and it's unbearable! :scream: It makes me want to stop spending time there, as it gets quite annoying to constantly have to mute the effects sound volume while being there. :/

**The game _needs_ more separated sound options, badly.** (Instead, you [combined](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/35894/gathering-tools-legendaries-now-all-connected-to-my-unique-item-sounds-channel "combined") the sounds of legendaries and gatheering tools under "unique sound items" in your last big update, which is the opposite of QoL.)

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> Please, ANet, make this happen! :o

>

> I am currently being sound-tortured again while standing on the upper platform of the Royal Terrace, because there are several rangers who have their [Jacaranda pets](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/40488/solved-royal-terrace-strange-buzzing-sound-w-video "Jacaranda pets") out, and it's unbearable! :scream: It makes me want to stop spending time there, as it gets quite annoying to constantly have to mute the effects sound volume while being there. :/

>

> **The game _needs_ more separated sound options, badly.** (Instead, you [combined](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/35894/gathering-tools-legendaries-now-all-connected-to-my-unique-item-sounds-channel "combined") the sounds of legendaries and gatheering tools under "unique sound items" in your last big update, which is the opposite of QoL.)

Many of us on EU have the same problem in Mistlock Sanctuary with a user that parks near the bank area for extended periods with EIGHT Queen Bee infusions buzzing in our ears, despite knowing it bothers others, and that sound isn't mute-togglable with other unique player items sounds either. Some people use this lack of control to grief others:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/36646/queen-bee-aura-stacking

> @"Onex.2590" said:

> [...] and that sound isn't mute-togglable with other unique player items sounds either. Some people use this lack of control to grief others:

> https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/36646/queen-bee-aura-stacking

Unfortunately, that's true (the same goes for ppl who leave on their giant wings during daily JPs).

One more reason why ANet should do something about the currently available sound options (and QoL options in general). :+1: