[Suggestion] Bring Back Tattoo Armor

> @"Xenon.4537" said:

> > @"Talindra.4958" said:

> > Dont want to upset you ... But it will likely be in black lion chest as outfit or gemstore outfit

>

> Yeah I've come to expect that. Personally I would happily buy it from the gem store.

My monk is wearing this too in gw1 if it is outfit likely that I won't be getting it ?

I'm hoping for armour pieces.

> @"Xenon.4537" said:

> >Regina B

> >Armor is one of the most expensive things in the game to create. Armor is complicated and needs to be created with many considerations in mind, and these considerations may not be easily apparent or describable to fan armor designers (snip)

>

> As I said earlier, I know exactly the reasons she is referring to. It's called Rigging. More specifically, painting skin weights. And again, swapping a texture does not require any of that.

>

> >with all the costs that come with armor

>

> Again wrong, for the same reasons I keep repeating... It's a texture swap, not a full fledged pipeline ordeal.

Well then if it’s as easy as you say then I’m sure ANet will leap right on it. After all it’s something that’s been requested a number of times over the years so they know there’s interest.

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> I suspect it’s not as easy as you think considering ANet has already said that armor is complex and expensive to create in this game. I doubt the game is set up to have textures on the skin that can also have stats and runes. Even the invisible boots are pieces of armor, they’ve just been made transparent.

>

> /shrug. But good luck in your quest.

The Tribal Armour has tattoos as part of the armour pieces, as do some female versions of Winged Armour, so I don't really understand this objection. Surely tattoo armour pieces could work in a similar way?

> @"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > I suspect it’s not as easy as you think considering ANet has already said that armor is complex and expensive to create in this game. I doubt the game is set up to have textures on the skin that can also have stats and runes. Even the invisible boots are pieces of armor, they’ve just been made transparent.

> >

> > /shrug. But good luck in your quest.

>

> The Tribal Armour has tattoos as part of the armour pieces, as do some female versions of Winged Armour, so I don't really understand this objection. Surely tattoo armour pieces could work in a similar way?

That's what I was going to say. :) The Zodiac armour is very similar too - large parts of that replace or cover your characters skin with a blue glow effect.

It also answers the question of how it would work with norn tattoos: the tribal tattoos are over-layed onto the norn ones (it can look a mess but if you plan for it when picking tattoos it can look great).

So it's definitely something Anet can do, because they've done it before. I'm not convinced it would be that much easier than making any other armour set, but I certainly don't think it would be harder.

> @"DarthFurby.3970" said:

> these were only available as special rune armor for some classes, think monk and necromancer specifically.

BIG, FAT YES for profession-specific armor. I loved this so much in GW1, every profession had it's unique style and distinct look.

Specialization collections are a step in the right way, maybe add collections for the new armors?

> @"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > I suspect it’s not as easy as you think considering ANet has already said that armor is complex and expensive to create in this game. I doubt the game is set up to have textures on the skin that can also have stats and runes. Even the invisible boots are pieces of armor, they’ve just been made transparent.

> >

> > /shrug. But good luck in your quest.

>

> The Tribal Armour has tattoos as part of the armour pieces, as do some female versions of Winged Armour, so I don't really understand this objection. Surely tattoo armour pieces could work in a similar way?

Exactly. You take existing polygons, and apply a new texture to it. Games have been doing this for decades.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:

> > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > I suspect it’s not as easy as you think considering ANet has already said that armor is complex and expensive to create in this game. I doubt the game is set up to have textures on the skin that can also have stats and runes. Even the invisible boots are pieces of armor, they’ve just been made transparent.

> > >

> > > /shrug. But good luck in your quest.

> >

> > The Tribal Armour has tattoos as part of the armour pieces, as do some female versions of Winged Armour, so I don't really understand this objection. Surely tattoo armour pieces could work in a similar way?

>

> That's what I was going to say. :) The Zodiac armour is very similar too - large parts of that replace or cover your characters skin with a blue glow effect.

>

> It also answers the question of how it would work with norn tattoos: the tribal tattoos are over-layed onto the norn ones (it can look a mess but if you plan for it when picking tattoos it can look great).

>

> So it's definitely something Anet can do, because they've done it before. I'm not convinced it would be that much easier than making any other armour set, but I certainly don't think it would be harder.

Skim over the videos I linked (you don't need to watch them, just take note of the topics). Those are key steps on the production pipeline that can basically be skipped because this is just a reskin.

1. Concept - drawings, sketches, etc

2. Zbrush sculpt - This is where the modeller sculpts the character/armor in super high-detail (millions of polygons, way too much for game engines)

3. Retopologize - This is a crucial step where the modeller draws new polygons on top of the high-poly sculpture. This creates a low-poly model that can function in-engine.

4. Texturing/baking - Here is where our artist paints on top of the model using Substance Painter or Photoshop something similar. The textures are then baked onto the model.

5. Rigging - This is a very poorly understood part of the process for laymen. This is where a tech artist creates a skeleton and controls which define how the model can move for animation. Even when a character has already been rigged, if a new armor is physically different, it must have its skin weights cleaned up, or else the polygons wont move correctly.

6. Animation - Pretty straight forward, this is when the animator takes the rig and starts setting key frames and making things come to life.

So because this is a reskin you can eliminate steps 2, 3, 5, and 6.

2. We already have the sculpts of each of the 5 races bodies in both sexes.

3. We already have the low poly of those bodies.

5. We already have them rigged.

6. We already have them animated.

4 out of 6 steps eliminated. Yes it would be *easier*. I've never once said it would be literally zero work, but it would be *easier* than making a full set of new armor from scratch.