[Question] Swim-Speed Infusions

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> Use the speed boost if you like traveling more quickly, but otherwise, I strongly discourage anyone from spending time or money on getting ascended breathers.

I have a feeling that some day (soon?) you will regret that statement. ;)

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > Use the speed boost if you like traveling more quickly, but otherwise, I strongly discourage anyone from spending time or money on getting ascended breathers.

>

> I have a feeling that some day (soon?) you will regret that statement. ;)

I can't think of any possible reason to regret discouraging people from spending on something that won't impact their game play today, tomorrow, or for the foreseeable future. At worst, the circumstances will change and I'll update my recommendation accordingly.

In the meantime, there's only one place in the game that is both underwater and for which agony matters. Suppose they overhaul it completely and add a second fractal, then with 13 other infusion slots, it still won't be necessary to spend an extra 50g on ascended breathers, because we'll still be able to hit AR150 without it.

So can people confirm that the swimming speed boost from the new infusion DOES stack with speed buffs like Swiftness? It sounds overpowered if it does, but at the same time, if it doesn't then why would you bother with the infusion when some builds can have permanent Swiftness even underwater?

> @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> Further, needing 1,048,576 +10 Swim-Speed Infusions to get the max +30 seems WAY out there. I cannot imagine a speed boost being **that** useful.

Sure, that's a *humongous* number, but 1,024 for +20 doesn't seem that out of line.

Since it starts at a noticeable +10 rather than +1, I consider anything above say +15 a long term goal.

> @"Kumouta.4985" said:

> so, can you put all the maxed out ones on all your gear and get +540% swimming speed?

Take a wild guess, does that sound like something they would allow? Or would it be more probable that the thing is usable only on aquabreather like it says in the first one? :)

> I can't think of any possible reason to regret discouraging people from spending on something that won't impact their game play today, tomorrow, or for the foreseeable future.

That is a bit short-sighted. I am certain there will be some significant underwater content in the (near) future.

> At worst, the circumstances will change and I'll update my recommendation accordingly.

"At worst"? Okay, now I see where you are coming from: you are obviously not a fan of underwater content and combat. ;)

> @"Kumouta.4985" said:

> so, can you put all the maxed out ones on all your gear and get +540% swimming speed?

I already posted that these infusions can _only_ (as in "exclusively") be applied to ascended aquatic headgear.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > I can't think of any possible reason to regret discouraging people from spending on something that won't impact their game play today, tomorrow, or for the foreseeable future.

>

> That is a bit short-sighted. I am certain there will be some significant underwater content in the (near) future.

Then I'll change my recommendation. For now, and for the last six years, there's no reason to spend time or resources on ascended breathers or swim infusions, except as something to do.

>

> > At worst, the circumstances will change and I'll update my recommendation accordingly.

>

> "At worst"? Okay, now I see where you are coming from: you are obviously not a fan of underwater content and combat. ;)

I really like underwater combat and always have. I'm really glad ANet updated skills; it's even more fun now.

The reason I said "at worst," was in response to the OP who said I'd regret my recommendation and I can't see how that could possibly be the case. If things change, then I'll change my suggestion; given the current underwater content, I stand by my comments: it's an unnecessary expense.

> > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > I can't think of any possible reason to regret discouraging people from spending on something that won't impact their game play today, tomorrow, or for the foreseeable future.

> >

> > That is a bit short-sighted. I am certain there will be some significant underwater content in the (near) future.

> Then I'll change my recommendation. For now, and for the last six years, there's no reason to spend time or resources on ascended breathers or swim infusions, except as something to do.

Back when Lake Doric came out, and people were upset about the relative lack of "lake", ANet said they they never expected to do something that was focused on, or significantly involved, underwater content. It would be, in essence, a cosmetic and/or interest addon that could be completely ignored. It just ... wasn't something that players enjoyed enough, basically, even if some players were super-enthused by it.

I see nothing that has changed since then, and while I have an ascended hat and a +10 infusion plugged in, that is only because it was essentially free for me to acquire those. I do not expect this to be anything other than, finally, a balance pass being done on underwater skills, just like they focus on various other weapon skills for classes.

• 3 weeks later...

I sell the infusions everyday Anet will never ever turn me into an infusion addict and for what so I can swim 2 miles and hour faster!

I can still fight the good fight slower and get the reward, on most of my characters I still have a green breather.

As a friend of mine said am I gonna have to do this for all my 9 characters.

I'll use my speedy skimmer to get there and after that it's turtle speed ahead. B)