This game is not dead, but it sure feels like it.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Martimus.6027" said:

> > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > Discord is a pox on the game, everyone seems obsessed with it. Some of us like to write chat ingame instead of using an external client. I always refuse to join guilds using discord.

>

> This. Discord is a pox, period.

>

> People using it as a substitute for paying attention to messages or guild chat in game. Guilds that demand I be on discord because their own GMs ignore chat messages are just lazy and I don't have time for it. Plus, ingame chat can be screenshotted and people can be held accountable for things they say and do, versus on Discord where it's verbal and can be denied after the fact.

>

> Discord is also being used just as a hangout for people who aren't really interested in playing the game, but rather acting like those folks on Discord are their real friends (who live 2000 miles away - ok. If you're such good friends, then will they bring food over to your house if your mom dies? They gonna come get you and take you to your doctor's appointment or drop you off at the airport?) I'm old fashioned, I suppose, but my friends are people I can call on the phone and talk to who can come over and hang out.

>

> I have guild members in my own guild who totally ignore all chat and anything said unless they hear it on Discord.

Discord voice chat reminds me of the olden days when we used to talk to each other instead of typing out things like "nyes" and "hamburger pls". In fact, ever since my grandchildren tossed me in the retirement home because I couldn't make poo poo in the toilet the right way, Discord is the closest thing I have to regular human interaction. I'm old fashioned, I suppose, but I think all text chat should be removed and the secret government microphones in our bedrooms should sync to Discord.

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > @"Martimus.6027" said:

> > > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > > Discord is a pox on the game, everyone seems obsessed with it. Some of us like to write chat ingame instead of using an external client. I always refuse to join guilds using discord.

> >

> > This. Discord is a pox, period.

> >

> > People using it as a substitute for paying attention to messages or guild chat in game. Guilds that demand I be on discord because their own GMs ignore chat messages are just lazy and I don't have time for it. Plus, ingame chat can be screenshotted and people can be held accountable for things they say and do, versus on Discord where it's verbal and can be denied after the fact.

> >

> > Discord is also being used just as a hangout for people who aren't really interested in playing the game, but rather acting like those folks on Discord are their real friends (who live 2000 miles away - ok. If you're such good friends, then will they bring food over to your house if your mom dies? They gonna come get you and take you to your doctor's appointment or drop you off at the airport?) I'm old fashioned, I suppose, but my friends are people I can call on the phone and talk to who can come over and hang out.

> >

> > I have guild members in my own guild who totally ignore all chat and anything said unless they hear it on Discord.

>

> This comment is really disgusting.

>

> "Hehe you can't be friends with people on the Internet because you can't see them physically!!!"

>

> What kind of logic is that? People have made friends over the Internet ever since it existed. It connects people. Sure, it's nothing like a night out, but what you're saying sounds like you're a really bitter person. I feel bad for you, not being able to see things like that. Are you even human?

>

> And to say that people "ignore all chat" because of Discord, how does that make any sense? There's a reason people differentiate between irl and online friends, but both are friends nonetheless if that feeling is mutual. Please don't invalidate other people's experiences like that.

>

> That said, what the hell does Discord have to do with the game at all? It's a god kitten chat program. If people stay in contact over it or simply use the voice chat function FOR CONVENIENCE? Are you saying all chats are garbage because haha, these people are meaningless? Maybe an MMO is not for you.

Take a step back. Chill. It's just a different opinion than yours and has no effect on your life.

There are several inaccuracies in your statement: I said I have GMs in (one of) my guilds that ignore chat totally despite people trying to message them with problems as they blah blah blah away on Discord. I didn't say people couldn't make friends over the internet, but I personally know people who think that those people are someone who can be relied upon and take things entirely too seriously with those online personalities and ignore actual real life interaction. That opinion is really so threatening to you? Wow. It happens. It's going on. I pointed that out. You don't seem to be able to handle that.

At what point did I say all chats are garbage? At what point did I say people are meaningless? Take. a. step. back. Stop putting words in the mouth of people you angrily disagree with.

....I'm not the one that sounds bitter, my friend. If something like what I said made you this clearly upset from a random anonymous person on an internet forum for a video game, then I hate to tell you that life is going to hit you really, really hard someday.

> @"Martimus.6027" said:

> Discord is also being used just as a hangout for people who aren't really interested in playing the game, but rather acting like those folks on Discord are their real friends (who live 2000 miles away - ok. If you're such good friends, then will they bring food over to your house if your mom dies? They gonna come get you and take you to your doctor's appointment or drop you off at the airport?) I'm old fashioned, I suppose, but my friends are people I can call on the phone and talk to who can come over and hang out.

Yes, believe it or not, people do make actual friends via the internet. Sometimes, it stays only on the internet or via text. But sometimes they even meet up with those friends to hang out in person. Sometimes they even end up in relationships together or end up married. That may not be your style, but it is how many people today connect with others. No need to be so hostile towards the concept.

> @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > @"Martimus.6027" said:

> > Discord is also being used just as a hangout for people who aren't really interested in playing the game, but rather acting like those folks on Discord are their real friends (who live 2000 miles away - ok. If you're such good friends, then will they bring food over to your house if your mom dies? They gonna come get you and take you to your doctor's appointment or drop you off at the airport?) I'm old fashioned, I suppose, but my friends are people I can call on the phone and talk to who can come over and hang out.

>

> Yes, believe it or not, people do make actual friends via the internet. Sometimes, it stays only on the internet or via text. But sometimes they even meet up with those friends to hang out in person. Sometimes they even end up in relationships together or end up married. That may not be your style, but it is how many people today connect with others. No need to be so hostile towards the concept.

>

>

I'm not hostile towards it. I just question the validity towards it. If you think disagreeing politely with something is hostile, then.....*shrug* I get your point though, and agree to a certain extent.

> @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > @"Oldirtbeard.9834" said:

> > > @"chrisjfinlay.5614" said:

> > > I think really the biggest change is in terms of HOW we interact with others, and how people have their systems set up.

> > >

> > > Back in the early days of WoW for example, it was a common setup for everyone to just have 1 screen. Yes, many dedicated gamers had multiple, but it wasn't uncommon for everyone to have 1. So external chat programs were a bit of a headache because it meant minimising to chat. And voice chat apps were kinda... not good.

> > >

> > > But now with the majority of players having multiple screens, and VOIP apps being pretty kitten good these days, most people hang out on Discord or Skype with their buddies, even if said buddies aren't playing the same game. The era of using map chat as a social tool is kinda out, sadly.

> > >

> > > I also don't use map chat that often because I have a very loud mechanical keyboard and when I'm on Discord I have to mute myself when I type, less I deafen my friends with the thunderous clacking.

> >

> > One screen for me, no Discord unless I have to use it (the program never shuts down).

>

> Right click the Discord icon in the tray, choose "exit", and it's gone.

That would take way too much effort.

I trully think I need to dissagree, yes it is true many times the map is pretty much silent. But conversations normally appear at random and they pile up, or you stsrt one, people get interested, talk and piles up. But, it is understandable and true that some times it is completly silent and eh... In my personal opinion, if you feel you want fire on that chat, you need to also be part of the sparks.

> > @"Oldirtbeard.9834" said:

> > > @"chrisjfinlay.5614" said:

> > > I think really the biggest change is in terms of HOW we interact with others, and how people have their systems set up.

> > >

> > > Back in the early days of WoW for example, it was a common setup for everyone to just have 1 screen. Yes, many dedicated gamers had multiple, but it wasn't uncommon for everyone to have 1. So external chat programs were a bit of a headache because it meant minimising to chat. And voice chat apps were kinda... not good.

> > >

> > > But now with the majority of players having multiple screens, and VOIP apps being pretty kitten good these days, most people hang out on Discord or Skype with their buddies, even if said buddies aren't playing the same game. The era of using map chat as a social tool is kinda out, sadly.

> > >

> > > I also don't use map chat that often because I have a very loud mechanical keyboard and when I'm on Discord I have to mute myself when I type, less I deafen my friends with the thunderous clacking.

> >

> > One screen for me, no Discord unless I have to use it (the program never shuts down).

>

> Right click the Discord icon in the tray, choose "exit", and it's gone.

My Discord refuses to show up in the task tray for some weird reason, so on the rare occasions I do use that program I've made it a habit to kill the main task via windows task manager afterwards.

> @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > > @"Oldirtbeard.9834" said:

> > > > @"chrisjfinlay.5614" said:

> > > > I think really the biggest change is in terms of HOW we interact with others, and how people have their systems set up.

> > > >

> > > > Back in the early days of WoW for example, it was a common setup for everyone to just have 1 screen. Yes, many dedicated gamers had multiple, but it wasn't uncommon for everyone to have 1. So external chat programs were a bit of a headache because it meant minimising to chat. And voice chat apps were kinda... not good.

> > > >

> > > > But now with the majority of players having multiple screens, and VOIP apps being pretty kitten good these days, most people hang out on Discord or Skype with their buddies, even if said buddies aren't playing the same game. The era of using map chat as a social tool is kinda out, sadly.

> > > >

> > > > I also don't use map chat that often because I have a very loud mechanical keyboard and when I'm on Discord I have to mute myself when I type, less I deafen my friends with the thunderous clacking.

> > >

> > > One screen for me, no Discord unless I have to use it (the program never shuts down).

> >

> > Right click the Discord icon in the tray, choose "exit", and it's gone.

> My Discord refuses to show up in the task tray for some weird reason, so on the rare occasions I do use that program I've made it a habit to kill the main task via windows task manager afterwards.

It has a new icon if you're in a voice chat, it's a green circle.

> @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > > @"Oldirtbeard.9834" said:

> > > > @"chrisjfinlay.5614" said:

> > > > I think really the biggest change is in terms of HOW we interact with others, and how people have their systems set up.

> > > >

> > > > Back in the early days of WoW for example, it was a common setup for everyone to just have 1 screen. Yes, many dedicated gamers had multiple, but it wasn't uncommon for everyone to have 1. So external chat programs were a bit of a headache because it meant minimising to chat. And voice chat apps were kinda... not good.

> > > >

> > > > But now with the majority of players having multiple screens, and VOIP apps being pretty kitten good these days, most people hang out on Discord or Skype with their buddies, even if said buddies aren't playing the same game. The era of using map chat as a social tool is kinda out, sadly.

> > > >

> > > > I also don't use map chat that often because I have a very loud mechanical keyboard and when I'm on Discord I have to mute myself when I type, less I deafen my friends with the thunderous clacking.

> > >

> > > One screen for me, no Discord unless I have to use it (the program never shuts down).

> >

> > Right click the Discord icon in the tray, choose "exit", and it's gone.

> My Discord refuses to show up in the task tray for some weird reason, so on the rare occasions I do use that program I've made it a habit to kill the main task via windows task manager afterwards.

Does it show up in the little group of icons hidden in the "up arrow" at the left end of the tray? (By default, on Win10 for sure, and maybe Win7, new things the tray hasn't seen before end up in there.)

But killing it with Task Manager works as well.

> @"chrisjfinlay.5614" said:

> > @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > > > @"Oldirtbeard.9834" said:

> > > > > @"chrisjfinlay.5614" said:

> > > > > I think really the biggest change is in terms of HOW we interact with others, and how people have their systems set up.

> > > > >

> > > > > Back in the early days of WoW for example, it was a common setup for everyone to just have 1 screen. Yes, many dedicated gamers had multiple, but it wasn't uncommon for everyone to have 1. So external chat programs were a bit of a headache because it meant minimising to chat. And voice chat apps were kinda... not good.

> > > > >

> > > > > But now with the majority of players having multiple screens, and VOIP apps being pretty kitten good these days, most people hang out on Discord or Skype with their buddies, even if said buddies aren't playing the same game. The era of using map chat as a social tool is kinda out, sadly.

> > > > >

> > > > > I also don't use map chat that often because I have a very loud mechanical keyboard and when I'm on Discord I have to mute myself when I type, less I deafen my friends with the thunderous clacking.

> > > >

> > > > One screen for me, no Discord unless I have to use it (the program never shuts down).

> > >

> > > Right click the Discord icon in the tray, choose "exit", and it's gone.

> > My Discord refuses to show up in the task tray for some weird reason, so on the rare occasions I do use that program I've made it a habit to kill the main task via windows task manager afterwards.

>

> It has a new icon if you're in a voice chat, it's a green circle.

I've gone through every single icon in my task tray, but as soon as I close the discord client, the icon isn't in the tray any more, even though the voice connection is still active. Killing the task via task manager is ok for now though, since I rarely use Discord at all anyway.

> Does it show up in the little group of icons hidden in the "up arrow" at the left end of the tray? (By default, on Win10 for sure, and maybe Win7, new things the tray hasn't seen before end up in there.)

>

> But killing it with Task Manager works as well.

No, it isn't in there either, but like I said, it doesn't worry me all that much. I might just be too old to get comfortable with Discord, but most likely I'll eventually give in, if only to quiet my daughter who keeps nagging me to create a discord server for our casual pve guild (with a lot of members in the 40+ age range that don't easily give up their tried and tested team speak for this "newfangled" piece of tech called discord ;) ).

Wow, didn't expect such reaction, I must say that this thred have more life than the chat i had experienced in the game.

Yes, I will admit that it might be just me having a bad luck. Tho its just seems to be on the extreme side.

And to answer the common queston, I do try to strike the conversations but i rarely get any response.

Sometimes I get on to a map that have a few people active on chat, but the conversation happens with the pacing of 30-45 minutes in between the idvidual coversation instances.

Oh right, I should propably also add this, in the title of the tread I think I rather clearly stated "This game is not dead..." its just that the silence in chat and general lack of any reaction from other players make me feel like im playing a empty mmo.

So i would rathe like if people didn't put me in the same basket as all the "This mmo is dead" kind of people.

> @"Cold Hearted Person.6154" said:

> Wow, didn't expect such reaction, I must say that this thred have more life than the chat i had experienced in the game.

You might consider your own active hours. As of your post it's almost ~6AM EST. Even a very active community is going to have quiet hours. A lot of the US is sleeping right now or getting up and ready for work/school.

> Wow, didn't expect such reaction, I must say that this thred have more life than the chat i had experienced in the game.

> Yes, I will admit that it might be just me having a bad luck. Tho its just seems to be on the extreme side.

> And to answer the common queston, I do try to strike the conversations but i rarely get any response.

> Sometimes I get on to a map that have a few people active on chat, but the conversation happens with the pacing of 30-45 minutes in between the idvidual coversation instances.

>

> Oh right, I should propably also add this, in the title of the tread I think I rather clearly stated "This game is not dead..." its just that the silence in chat and general lack of any reaction from other players make me feel like im playing a empty mmo.

> So i would rathe like if people didn't put me in the same basket as all the "This mmo is dead" kind of people.

Just curious, what do you say to initiate conversation?

I've seen a few conversation-starter attempts in various games that always seem to fail horribly. People still use them to abundance despite that.

My favorite is, "Hello." Nothing else. You see a couple of sporadic hi or hellos in return but that's it. There's nothing for other players to work with, so the silence seems even more deafening than if it had remained undisturbed in the first place.

The other thing I've seen a lot is, "It's so quiet in here," or "Is anyone here?" These are akin to one of my least favorite "conversation starters" talkative people like to pull on me and my fellow introverts. What are you supposed to say to that? If I'm annoyed enough, I'll muster up a deadpan, "Yes." Then I'll be pointedly extra silent. From the receiving end, it feels like an unwarranted critique. I've seen that used a lot on the Fleet in SWTOR, and beyond a "shut up" or two nothing good comes of the attempt. Definitely not the kind of conversation the starter wants to happen, anyway.

As far as what might start a conversation, heck if I know. I'm better at ending them inadvertently, TBH. I wish I had some real tips or insight.

> Did everyone forgot how to write? Map chat or even local chat seems so silent. Even LA is silent despite being full of players.

> I spent few hours in few starting maps, meet a lot of players but none utered a word, even when I rezed them or helped them wining a fight that would have killed them otherwise.

> This is also the case with high level map, no one have any will to talk.

> In the first 2-3 years chats were full of life, now it feels like playing single player game full of NPCs, tho even NPC are more talcative these days.

>

> I guess ArenaNet in their pursuit of making GW2 convininet for players they completly removed any need to comunicate.

>

This game is dead yes. Djust try to find what content added in game. "Great looking outfits" - thats all. I play gw2 from start. about 1 year ago i stop playing & today i try to find what new in this game.....oh dear....great new outfits......Game dead because there is no content.

im 99% in TS. talking to my guildies. No need to write in Chat.

We are abput4-7 active in TS. About the same are not, but lot of them group up on pairs.

And talking for what? Blubbering nonsene?

When playing f.e. fracs with randoms, people need to play, and not to write stuff in chat. And in these 10min of playtime, why do i need to chat with them and what?

If people one the map have questions they normally get an answer. Most people i rez thank me.

Also 90% of Chats in MMOs besides trading (TP), Groupsearch (theres is the Lfg tool) consists of stupid conversations, often lead by trolls.

> @"Flaming.1763" said:

> im 99% in TS. talking to my guildies. No need to write in Chat.

> We are abput4-7 active in TS. About the same are not, but lot of them group up on pairs.

> And talking for what? Blubbering nonsene?

> When playing f.e. fracs with randoms, people need to play, and not to write stuff in chat. And in these 10min of playtime, why do i need to chat with them and what?

> If people one the map have questions they normally get an answer. Most people i rez thank me.

> Also 90% of Chats in MMOs besides trading (TP), Groupsearch (theres is the Lfg tool) consists of stupid conversations, often lead by trolls.

try to see in chats fortnite/lineage/wow/gw2 about 2 years ago. for now its dead game

> @"maidens.1973" said:

> > @"Flaming.1763" said:

> > im 99% in TS. talking to my guildies. No need to write in Chat.

> > We are abput4-7 active in TS. About the same are not, but lot of them group up on pairs.

> > And talking for what? Blubbering nonsene?

> > When playing f.e. fracs with randoms, people need to play, and not to write stuff in chat. And in these 10min of playtime, why do i need to chat with them and what?

> > If people one the map have questions they normally get an answer. Most people i rez thank me.

> > Also 90% of Chats in MMOs besides trading (TP), Groupsearch (theres is the Lfg tool) consists of stupid conversations, often lead by trolls.

>

> try to see in chats fortnite/lineage/wow/gw2 about 2 years ago. for now its dead game

If by "for now" you mean a few short hours compared to prime time hour activity, sure. It's like you forget it's a weekday in the early AM hours in the US. Several EU players are saying it's just fine on their servers.

Not that you have a horse in this race. You don't play the game. The in-game chat is a moot point for you, so it's curious how you're trying to inform others about it.

still open question, what should the chatting be about?

WvW has its own, an at least on our maps, theres quite a lot talking, tactical stuff and nonsense political and funny stuff. PvP has its own, not playing so dont know.

Is F2P cant chat on Map ok. And the others are most Guilds or twinks. If have no need to chat there if not for help. Maps with event ofen have some chat, still, lot is in squad (like Worldboss or headhunters).

I know MMO is about lots of people, but no where is written, u have to talk to everyone except your mates in group.

The "problem" is, ingame stuff worth talking about is solved by looking up Wiki and the others sites. If u would "delete" them, playes would be forced to talk and ask about Lore, Trade, Crafts and so on.

> @"maidens.1973" said:

> > @"CETheLucid.3964" said:

>

> > If by "for now" you mean a few short hours compared to prime time hour activity, sure.

>

> For now i mean this year vs 2016. When you stay in Q at every evening about 1 hour or even more.

Glad to hear your server is doing so well. Unless you meant PvP after not playing for a year? Then golly I just can't imagine why you're having such a hard time finding a game all these nights you've certainly played! And all that chat in the PvP lobby you're certainly not seeing any of!

Truly tragic. My heart bleeds for you. I have no doubt you're a very honest and knowledgeable person about these things.