Fun, all-around profession

I have a lvl 80 Thief and a lvl 80 Spellbreaker. I love Thief, but seems it's only good in PvP and somewhat in WvW. PvE seems to be a no go. Still getting used to Spellbreaker though.

But I was thinking of making another profession, so what profession is viable in all game modes and is fun (I know this is subjective, e.g. I find mobility, damage and classes that require at least some skill fun)

> @"Patkus.9178" said:

> I have a lvl 80 Thief and a lvl 80 Spellbreaker. I love Thief, but seems it's only good in PvP and somewhat in WvW. PvE seems to be a no go. Still getting used to Spellbreaker though.

Daredevil and core thief were both very much viable for open world content; heck, DD was somewhat easier than some other professions **cough** elementalist **cough** when I was running around in HoT and so on, and doing personal story missions, including the painfully challenging ones.

> But I was thinking of making another profession, so what profession is viable in all game modes and is fun (I know this is subjective, e.g. I find mobility, damage and classes that require at least some skill fun)

Warrior is probably a good choice, but it has quirky healing (IMO), which may pose a challenge if you are finding the problem is that you die too much on your thief in the open world.

Mesmer is absolutely viable everywhere, and highly desired in all content, though the specifics of the role they are wanted for vary, and "support" roles are popular in raids. It has high mobility, good damage options, can be power or condition, and generally ticks your boxes. It has somewhat straightforward basic damage stuff, but a high skill cap.

Engineer definitely qualifies for the "skill required" part, and the mobility, but I'm not sure you would enjoy because ... of something. I'm not sure why I have that impression.

You might like Ranger, where your pet can do a bunch of tanking, making a lot of PvE content vastly more trivial. With Soulbeast you can also return a dead pet to life in what feels like a cheating fashion, by merging and unmerging a couple seconds later, making your pets effectively immortal.

I'm pretty confident you do not want elementalist (if thief is not open-world viable, ele definitely isn't for you), or necro (it's pretty solid, but unloved in popular opinion, and lacks good mobility options).

> @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > @"Patkus.9178" said:

> > I have a lvl 80 Thief and a lvl 80 Spellbreaker. I love Thief, but seems it's only good in PvP and somewhat in WvW. PvE seems to be a no go. Still getting used to Spellbreaker though.

>

> Daredevil and core thief were both very much viable for open world content; heck, DD was somewhat easier than some other professions **cough** elementalist **cough** when I was running around in HoT and so on, and doing personal story missions, including the painfully challenging ones.

>

> > But I was thinking of making another profession, so what profession is viable in all game modes and is fun (I know this is subjective, e.g. I find mobility, damage and classes that require at least some skill fun)

>

> Warrior is probably a good choice, but it has quirky healing (IMO), which may pose a challenge if you are finding the problem is that you die too much on your thief in the open world.

>

> Mesmer is absolutely viable everywhere, and highly desired in all content, though the specifics of the role they are wanted for vary, and "support" roles are popular in raids. It has high mobility, good damage options, can be power or condition, and generally ticks your boxes. It has somewhat straightforward basic damage stuff, but a high skill cap.

>

> Engineer definitely qualifies for the "skill required" part, and the mobility, but I'm not sure you would enjoy because ... of something. I'm not sure why I have that impression.

>

> You might like Ranger, where your pet can do a bunch of tanking, making a lot of PvE content vastly more trivial. With Soulbeast you can also return a dead pet to life in what feels like a cheating fashion, by merging and unmerging a couple seconds later, making your pets effectively immortal.

>

> I'm pretty confident you do not want elementalist (if thief is not open-world viable, ele definitely isn't for you), or necro (it's pretty solid, but unloved in popular opinion, and lacks good mobility options).

Didn't mean that Thief wasn't viable in Open World (maybe I shoul've specified that :P), I was thinking more about raids, dungeons, fractals etc.

Mesmer and Engineer sound nice, gonna check them out. Ty

Ele's have useful build in all areas of the game aside from Spvp

guardians are also useful, firebrands are great for WvW support and do decent condi damage on the PvE side

Warriors are great but I dont want to be bias'd

Mesmers have crucial roles in PvE content, not so much in WvW but are still useful

> @"Patkus.9178" said:

> Didn't mean that Thief wasn't viable in Open World (maybe I shoul've specified that :P), I was thinking more about raids, dungeons, fractals etc.

> Mesmer and Engineer sound nice, gonna check them out. Ty

Ah. Then I withdraw the comment about elementalist: they are desirable DPS, and quite flexible, but they are the glassiest cannon in the game. You probably still don't want necro, even though I love them, based on their position in the "meta" at the moment. (Which is to say, not wildly popular, though IMO undeservedly.)

I enjoy playing power trap **Dragonhunter** (guardian elite spec) in PvE. It's great for dungeons, has mobility with GS #3 leap and the F2 wings leap... or you could just swap out a trap for the _"Retreat!"_ swiftness skill when you're out of combat. :) Good sustain with blocks/blinds whilst also dealing big damage. As for WvW guardian/Firebrand is a MUST, period. They are always welcome in any zerg.

Otherwise you could play any ranger elite spec and let your pet facetank everything whilst pew pew'ing from afar. Decent group buffs, can initiate mob aggro in dungeons if used correctly and is very easy to play overall. As for WvW you'll see most rangers roaming/picking off single targets in zergs and can be fairly annoying to fight if they're playing tanky Druid builds with high mobility/escape/heal potential.

Hope that helps!