So....about pvp....

gw2 is a great game. Its pve is decent. There are fractals, dungeons, world events, living world. The gem store is always active. However, there's ONE glaring weakness in gw2....pvp. I feel that this is that one elephant in the room that we need to discuss. gw2 and its flourishing pve in contrast with its languishing pvp in need of repair, well...it doesn't look good! lol

Now, I pvped since release and I've witnessed the dumbing-down of it over the years. Powercreep and one-shot gameplay have infested this game mode. Current profession design and elite specs are simply _faceroll_ and don't take much skill, if any, to play. Scourge, mirage, firebrand, holosmith and deadeye are the most un-fun, egregious nonsense I've ever seen in a game. Also, there are only balance patches once every three months. How quarterly patches are supposed to balance this game is beyond me. There is also still only one game mode: conquest. I would say zerg the lord(stronghold) and that one-thing-hidden-in-custom-maps (courtyard), but they don't count because NOBODY PLAYS THEM. The failure of "esports" is also not a surprise to me because, again, pvp is only balanced every three months. It's neglect!

Now, I ask people, with such a flourishing pve environment and a languishing pvp environment: Does that seem fair? I mean, with the way pvp has been handled over the years there is OBVIOUS negligence and favoritism towards pve. I honestly want to know why. Is this how typical MMOs operate? That they don't think that pvp can make money and be successful? That pve is the be-all-end-all to MMORPGs.

I dont have much to add to this discussion, just wanted to jump in and say that i fully agree. Pvp in its current state is extremely boring, i dont find it fun to be one shotted or to one shot people in these types of games. This is an mmorpg not an fps. And deadeye is just a joke, actually the whole thief class is a joke and in need of a huge overhaul, just my two cents.

sigh---yeah I know what you mean about deadeye. All I see in pvp is p/p deadeyes. I mean it's just...braindead! lol. Just spam 3 for 20-25k damage, I mean it's NONSENSE. I agree with you as well, thief is pretty much a gimmick at this point.

Also, even in shooters, skill with the mouse is needed to control the cursor. This...this is just....lol. Just spam keys for faceroll rotation and you're good to go!

not here to start anything. yes pvpers are a fickle bunch. hard to satisfy and please. most of the money in all my research does come from the pve side in mmo's and most of it from casual players. pvp in most mmo's are just thrown in the game to get a little more money from that community. but in the long run end game bottom line, pvp really does not matter to the companies basically because of the pvper . pvper's are their on worst enemy. the company can spend xyz dollars on pvp improvement for a very small if any return at all or the same amount of money on pve for a much larger return. its all about the dollar boys, and pvp does not bring in the dollar like pve does.

> @"Galaa.8475" said:

> not here to start anything. yes pvpers are a fickle bunch. hard to satisfy and please. most of the money in all my research does come from the pve side in mmo's and most of it from casual players. pvp in most mmo's are just thrown in the game to get a little more money from that community. but in the long run end game bottom line, pvp really does not matter to the companies basically because of the pvper . pvper's are their on worst enemy. the company can spend xyz dollars on pvp improvement for a very small if any return at all or the same amount of money on pve for a much larger return. its all about the dollar boys, and pvp does not bring in the dollar like pve does.

nah, pvp'ers spend money on gems too.

how many streamers are dressed like a potato**?**

fashion wars matters everywhere

pvp hard to satisfy? Come on. In 6 years of GW they've had to spend the first 4 years without any actual leaderboard, without game stats (dmg, healing, etc) and without a legit ranked mode on 5 maps of which Anet even removed one (capricorn). I have nothing but respect for any pvp'er that's mainly been playing that game mode since launch because over all these years they've played through horrible meta's and buggy shit. Balance is wank atm, but it's better than ever so that should say a lot. Also pvp gets 1 map every 3 YEARS on average. PvPers really dont ask for much or are greedy and spoiled by nature. It's just that Anet has given them the ABSOLUTE minimum in terms of what they could have done. The current state of pvp is entirely on Anet.

Ps. also, 6 years in, still no shareable ingame build templates (something that made the GW1 pvp community thrive. & more build diversity obviously)

> @"Galaa.8475" said:

> not here to start anything. yes pvpers are a fickle bunch. hard to satisfy and please. most of the money in all my research does come from the pve side in mmo's and most of it from casual players. pvp in most mmo's are just thrown in the game to get a little more money from that community. but in the long run end game bottom line, pvp really does not matter to the companies basically because of the pvper . pvper's are their on worst enemy. the company can spend xyz dollars on pvp improvement for a very small if any return at all or the same amount of money on pve for a much larger return. its all about the dollar boys, and pvp does not bring in the dollar like pve does.

I disagree that PVPers are a fickle bunch. PVP players just want a few things: 1) a good skill based fight against an enemy you have an emotional attachment to and 2) recognition/glory. Companies fuck it up when they start adding bullshit PVE stuff to the mode that attracts all the PVErs who have no interest in PVPing. Why do companies do this? Because they have no clue what drives PVPers and how to create a business from it so they go with what they know, which is to treat everything as PVE.

PVP fails because no company has done it right yet, not because of the players. GW2 PVP is NOT PVP; its just a mode designed to fool PVErs into thinking they are participating in PVP. Do most people think win/trading their way up a leaderboard is PVP? Is that how people view PVP now?

Edit: A properly done PVP model is a self-generating cash cow that requires little-to-no inputs from the developers as the model is based on the emotional and mental stimulation provided by players interacting with one another. This model is the opposite of the PVE model which requires constant content updates from the developers.

> @"Galaa.8475" said:

I've put nearly 5+ thousand dollars into this game as a PvP player....

And that was before I lost faith in our PvP, roughly around the time they scrapped 5 man queues and extended The Year Of Ascension indefinitely rather than making new ones each year as we were promised.

> @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > @"Galaa.8475" said:

> > not here to start anything. yes pvpers are a fickle bunch. hard to satisfy and please. most of the money in all my research does come from the pve side in mmo's and most of it from casual players. pvp in most mmo's are just thrown in the game to get a little more money from that community. but in the long run end game bottom line, pvp really does not matter to the companies basically because of the pvper . pvper's are their on worst enemy. the company can spend xyz dollars on pvp improvement for a very small if any return at all or the same amount of money on pve for a much larger return. its all about the dollar boys, and pvp does not bring in the dollar like pve does.

>

> I've put nearly 5-7 thousand dollars into this game as a PvP player....

>

> And you're going to sit there and say it's not enough?

> > @"Galaa.8475" said:

> > not here to start anything. yes pvpers are a fickle bunch. hard to satisfy and please. most of the money in all my research does come from the pve side in mmo's and most of it from casual players. pvp in most mmo's are just thrown in the game to get a little more money from that community. but in the long run end game bottom line, pvp really does not matter to the companies basically because of the pvper . pvper's are their on worst enemy. the company can spend xyz dollars on pvp improvement for a very small if any return at all or the same amount of money on pve for a much larger return. its all about the dollar boys, and pvp does not bring in the dollar like pve does.

>

> I've put nearly 5-7 thousand dollars into this game as a PvP player....

>

> And you're going to sit there and say it's not enough?

Are you kidding me right now? 5-7 thousand is child's play.

> @"mortrialus.3062" said:

> > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > @"Galaa.8475" said:

> > > not here to start anything. yes pvpers are a fickle bunch. hard to satisfy and please. most of the money in all my research does come from the pve side in mmo's and most of it from casual players. pvp in most mmo's are just thrown in the game to get a little more money from that community. but in the long run end game bottom line, pvp really does not matter to the companies basically because of the pvper . pvper's are their on worst enemy. the company can spend xyz dollars on pvp improvement for a very small if any return at all or the same amount of money on pve for a much larger return. its all about the dollar boys, and pvp does not bring in the dollar like pve does.

> >

> > I've put nearly 5-7 thousand dollars into this game as a PvP player....

> >

> > And you're going to sit there and say it's not enough?

>

> > > not here to start anything. yes pvpers are a fickle bunch. hard to satisfy and please. most of the money in all my research does come from the pve side in mmo's and most of it from casual players. pvp in most mmo's are just thrown in the game to get a little more money from that community. but in the long run end game bottom line, pvp really does not matter to the companies basically because of the pvper . pvper's are their on worst enemy. the company can spend xyz dollars on pvp improvement for a very small if any return at all or the same amount of money on pve for a much larger return. its all about the dollar boys, and pvp does not bring in the dollar like pve does.

> >

> >

>

> Are you kidding me right now? 5-7 thousand is child's play.

Dam I edited while you were quoting me lmao

But yea, the notion that only PvE players put money into the game is silly.... I've always believed PvP players spend more because we don't grind enough... PvE players earn thousands of gold and convert to gems, no need to spend money at all while PvP players are almost broke and tend to get that credit card out faster, the thought of grinding is daunting to some of us.

> > @"mortrialus.3062" said:

> > > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > > @"Galaa.8475" said:

> > > > not here to start anything. yes pvpers are a fickle bunch. hard to satisfy and please. most of the money in all my research does come from the pve side in mmo's and most of it from casual players. pvp in most mmo's are just thrown in the game to get a little more money from that community. but in the long run end game bottom line, pvp really does not matter to the companies basically because of the pvper . pvper's are their on worst enemy. the company can spend xyz dollars on pvp improvement for a very small if any return at all or the same amount of money on pve for a much larger return. its all about the dollar boys, and pvp does not bring in the dollar like pve does.

> > >

> > > I've put nearly 5-7 thousand dollars into this game as a PvP player....

> > >

> > > And you're going to sit there and say it's not enough?

> >

> > > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > > @"Galaa.8475" said:

> > > > not here to start anything. yes pvpers are a fickle bunch. hard to satisfy and please. most of the money in all my research does come from the pve side in mmo's and most of it from casual players. pvp in most mmo's are just thrown in the game to get a little more money from that community. but in the long run end game bottom line, pvp really does not matter to the companies basically because of the pvper . pvper's are their on worst enemy. the company can spend xyz dollars on pvp improvement for a very small if any return at all or the same amount of money on pve for a much larger return. its all about the dollar boys, and pvp does not bring in the dollar like pve does.

> > >

> > > I've put nearly 5-7 thousand dollars into this game as a PvP player....

> > >

> > > And you're going to sit there and say it's not enough?

> >

> > Are you kidding me right now? 5-7 thousand is child's play.

>

> Dam I edited while you were quoting me lmao

>

> But yea, the notion that only PvE players put money into the game is silly.... I've always believed PvP players spend more because we don't grind enough... PvE players earn thousands of gold and convert to gems, no need to spend money at all while PvP players are almost broke and tend to get that credit card out faster, the thought of grinding is daunting to some of us.

Oh yeah, this!

• 2 weeks later...

> @"mortrialus.3062" said:

> >

> >

>

> >

> >

>

> Are you kidding me right now? 5-7 thousand is child's play.

Yup, I think he's sitting there and saying it's not enough rofl.

sigh--I mean COME ON lol.

Best PVE game , but one of the worst in pvp atm. Killing Guardian in 2-3 secs .... that guardian means tank,heavy armor and etc , come on. What is the fun to one shot someone in light armor even. I prefer longer fights with less dmg and long sustain than 3-4 skills spam and kill someone. I am old GW1 player , and buy GW2 instantly after release played some time and stop, but i am back now to playing again but, pvp in this state i only going pvp for the daily rewards and thats it. Its not fun at all. They seriously rework dmg in pvp.

Peace.

> @"ACiD.2713" said:

> Best PVE game , but one of the worst in pvp atm. Killing Guardian in 2-3 secs .... that guardian means tank,heavy armor and etc , come on. What is the fun to one shot someone in light armor even. I prefer longer fights with less dmg and long sustain than 3-4 skills spam and kill someone. I am old GW1 player , and buy GW2 instantly after release played some time and stop, but i am back now to playing again but, pvp in this state i only going pvp for the daily rewards and thats it. Its not fun at all. They seriously rework dmg in pvp.

> Peace.

Given that literally every single class is capable of preventing damage for 2-3 seconds with any build whatsoever, do you think maybe you're doing something wrong if your guardian is dead in 2-3 seconds? I mean it sounds quick and all, but 2-3 seconds is an eternity if all you need to do in that time is defend yourself. Dodge, block, use some mobility skills, CC, counter-pressure. You aren't supposed to stand there and eat the damage. That's not how any class works in PvP.

Suffice it to say I've fought some very survivable guardians out there who were still able to bring the damage and/or team support. I'm not saying PvP is perfect, but I prefer faster, high-damage combat to the bunker style. It's not a chess match just because it lasts as long as one. PvP should be quicker than that!

> @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> > @"ACiD.2713" said:

> > Best PVE game , but one of the worst in pvp atm. Killing Guardian in 2-3 secs .... that guardian means tank,heavy armor and etc , come on. What is the fun to one shot someone in light armor even. I prefer longer fights with less dmg and long sustain than 3-4 skills spam and kill someone. I am old GW1 player , and buy GW2 instantly after release played some time and stop, but i am back now to playing again but, pvp in this state i only going pvp for the daily rewards and thats it. Its not fun at all. They seriously rework dmg in pvp.

> > Peace.

>

> Given that literally every single class is capable of preventing damage for 2-3 seconds with any build whatsoever, do you think maybe you're doing something wrong if your guardian is dead in 2-3 seconds? I mean it sounds quick and all, but 2-3 seconds is an eternity if all you need to do in that time is defend yourself. Dodge, block, use some mobility skills, CC, counter-pressure. You aren't supposed to stand there and eat the damage. That's not how any class works in PvP.

>

> Suffice it to say I've fought some very survivable guardians out there who were still able to bring the damage and/or team support. I'm not saying PvP is perfect, but I prefer faster, high-damage combat to the bunker style. It's not a chess match just because it lasts as long as one. PvP should be quicker than that!

I mean after i use all my condi cleaners and etc i die so fast, no matter witch build :) yeah maybe i do something wrong i dont know :) and sometimes rangers just cant touch them... they dray me so fast. Maybe my gear is not good dont know but its not fun at all for me :) maybe need some more practice but...still looks to much dmg for my understandings. Especialy mesmers and rangers.

Combine unranked and ranked (i.e., abolish ranked). Let everybody farm pips with their friends without the toxicity that any ladder system creates. Let people who want to compete join a team and do ATs or Swiss when it comes.

Then, add "brawls" to the mix (like Blizzard does so well) to focus more on fun instead of the small percentage who care about their title.

Also, more game modes would be GREAT.

1. Get more people to play PvP.

2. Focus on fun.

3. Profit.

> @"ACiD.2713" said:

> > @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> > > @"ACiD.2713" said:

> > > Best PVE game , but one of the worst in pvp atm. Killing Guardian in 2-3 secs .... that guardian means tank,heavy armor and etc , come on. What is the fun to one shot someone in light armor even. I prefer longer fights with less dmg and long sustain than 3-4 skills spam and kill someone. I am old GW1 player , and buy GW2 instantly after release played some time and stop, but i am back now to playing again but, pvp in this state i only going pvp for the daily rewards and thats it. Its not fun at all. They seriously rework dmg in pvp.

> > > Peace.

> >

> > Given that literally every single class is capable of preventing damage for 2-3 seconds with any build whatsoever, do you think maybe you're doing something wrong if your guardian is dead in 2-3 seconds? I mean it sounds quick and all, but 2-3 seconds is an eternity if all you need to do in that time is defend yourself. Dodge, block, use some mobility skills, CC, counter-pressure. You aren't supposed to stand there and eat the damage. That's not how any class works in PvP.

> >

> > Suffice it to say I've fought some very survivable guardians out there who were still able to bring the damage and/or team support. I'm not saying PvP is perfect, but I prefer faster, high-damage combat to the bunker style. It's not a chess match just because it lasts as long as one. PvP should be quicker than that!

>

> I mean after i use all my condi cleaners and etc i die so fast, no matter witch build :) yeah maybe i do something wrong i dont know :) and sometimes rangers just cant touch them... they dray me so fast. Maybe my gear is not good dont know but its not fun at all for me :) maybe need some more practice but...still looks to much dmg for my understandings. Especialy mesmers and rangers.

Well, damage is undoubtedly higher than it's ever been. But power creep also happens for defenses. You can definitely see this when you compare core to expansion content. Stun breaks? Who needs them in core? So, naturally, there weren't so many easy defenses against CC. But HoT designed enemies with tons of CC, so the elite specs were designed to counter that.

Of course, if you're new or just not the quickest with your skills, the window to use these defenses becomes smaller. The fact that these defenses exists means little if you aren't able to use them! I expect we could afford to tone down the damage a bit, but the concern is that if you turn it down just a little too much we'll end up with the snoozefest bunker meta where nobody can kill anyone and the goal is simply to sit your butt on points for as long as possible!

> @"pah.4931" said:

> Combine unranked and ranked (i.e., abolish ranked). Let everybody farm pips with their friends without the toxicity that any ladder system creates. Let people who want to compete join a team and do ATs or Swiss when it comes.

>

> Then, add "brawls" to the mix (like Blizzard does so well) to focus more on fun instead of the small percentage who care about their title.

>

> Also, more game modes would be GREAT.

>

> 1. Get more people to play PvP.

> 2. Focus on fun.

> 3. Profit.

I loved WoW PvP and all of the fun game modes it offered. I wasn't there for the "brawls", but they look like more of the same great content I knew when I played years ago. One of my biggest complaints about GW2 PvP is ONLY ONE GAME MODE!? So I'm right there with you.

But getting rid of ranked? You're nuts if you think that wouldn't have a severely negative impact on the game. WoW has ranked arena along with all that other stuff, right? Let's just get some more game modes to mix things up for casual PvPers and tailor ranked to the hardcore scene. I think that's the way to go, personally.

Ok , my response ability is not as fast like before 10 years :) i am now 30+ sooo :) its to hard core pvp for me :) too fast pace :) Maybe another of the problems for me is random teams, maybe if it was with my friends and communication with will be much better :)

But cant understand another thing... how class with leather armor and class with heavy armor have almost the same amount of HP, around 20k (if tart new char and go to pvp), i think heavy classes must be a lot more health or am i wrong? Like leather classes 20k and heavy classes 30k or something.

> @"ACiD.2713" said:

> Ok , my response ability is not as fast like before 10 years :) i am now 30+ sooo :) its to hard core pvp for me :) too fast pace :) Maybe another of the problems for me is random teams, maybe if it was with my friends and communication with will be much better :)

> But cant understand another thing... how class with leather armor and class with heavy armor have almost the same amount of HP, around 20k (if tart new char and go to pvp), i think heavy classes must be a lot more health or am i wrong? Like leather classes 20k and heavy classes 30k or something.

The professions have different base health pools. Warrior and necro have 19,212 base, revenant, engi, ranger and mesmer have base 15,922 health, and guardian, thief and ele have a base health of 11,645.

> @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> > @"pah.4931" said:

> > Combine unranked and ranked (i.e., abolish ranked). Let everybody farm pips with their friends without the toxicity that any ladder system creates. Let people who want to compete join a team and do ATs or Swiss when it comes.

> >

> > Then, add "brawls" to the mix (like Blizzard does so well) to focus more on fun instead of the small percentage who care about their title.

> >

> > Also, more game modes would be GREAT.

> >

> > 1. Get more people to play PvP.

> > 2. Focus on fun.

> > 3. Profit.

>

> I loved WoW PvP and all of the fun game modes it offered. I wasn't there for the "brawls", but they look like more of the same great content I knew when I played years ago. One of my biggest complaints about GW2 PvP is ONLY ONE GAME MODE!? So I'm right there with you.

>

> But getting rid of ranked? You're nuts if you think that wouldn't have a severely negative impact on the game. WoW has ranked arena along with all that other stuff, right? Let's just get some more game modes to mix things up for casual PvPers and tailor ranked to the hardcore scene. I think that's the way to go, personally.

WoW doesn't (at least they didn't when I played) have any sort of solo-q ranked system for arena. These solo-q ladder-based games that just care about Wins/Losses do nothing but breed toxicity and anger and bitterness. Not to mention exploits from win-trading and people purposefully NOT playing during off-peak hours (seriously... you are penalized for playing off peak times lol). It's a terrible, terrible system... and I can almost guarantee you that if people still got pips and chests, very few would care in the least about the missing "ranks" (as long as matchmaking still tried to make matches fair) ... in fact, I'd wager that you'd see more people playing PvP during all hours of the day.

No "competitive" team-based game should ever be solo-q ranked. It's absurd. It's been pointed out how terrible it is ad nauseam.

I think they should have tourneys and rankings based on pre-made teams only -- versus other premade teams only (like WoW's Arena or premade battlegrounds, as you pointed out).

> @"ACiD.2713" said:

> Ok , my response ability is not as fast like before 10 years :) i am now 30+ sooo :) its to hard core pvp for me :) too fast pace :) Maybe another of the problems for me is random teams, maybe if it was with my friends and communication with will be much better :)

> But cant understand another thing... how class with leather armor and class with heavy armor have almost the same amount of HP, around 20k (if tart new char and go to pvp), i think heavy classes must be a lot more health or am i wrong? Like leather classes 20k and heavy classes 30k or something.

LoL Cmon, man. You're talking like 30 is the new 80 here. I've been gaming since I was kid and playing MMOs for most of my adult life. I'm almost 40. There is undoubtedly a gradient upon which reaction time declines as we age. However, my own experience indicates that the far more important factor is _practice_. I didn't jump into ranked PvP with no prior PvP experience and finish the season in platinum because I'm aging more gracefully than you are!

I credit a solid performance to the way I typically PvE. I'm a solo player and I play one class at a time. I practice and evolve my build by soloing champions/legendaries. While this isn't exactly the same as PvP, it frequently forces me to recover quickly from mistakes or lose the fight the same way you do in PvP.

It seems like you must be new to the game. Give it some time before you decide it's too fast for you. You can't expect to compete with people who have put in hundreds or even thousands of hours on this game when you're just learning the basics! Practice!

> @"pah.4931" said:

> > @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> > > @"pah.4931" said:

> > > Combine unranked and ranked (i.e., abolish ranked). Let everybody farm pips with their friends without the toxicity that any ladder system creates. Let people who want to compete join a team and do ATs or Swiss when it comes.

> > >

> > > Then, add "brawls" to the mix (like Blizzard does so well) to focus more on fun instead of the small percentage who care about their title.

> > >

> > > Also, more game modes would be GREAT.

> > >

> > > 1. Get more people to play PvP.

> > > 2. Focus on fun.

> > > 3. Profit.

> >

> > I loved WoW PvP and all of the fun game modes it offered. I wasn't there for the "brawls", but they look like more of the same great content I knew when I played years ago. One of my biggest complaints about GW2 PvP is ONLY ONE GAME MODE!? So I'm right there with you.

> >

> > But getting rid of ranked? You're nuts if you think that wouldn't have a severely negative impact on the game. WoW has ranked arena along with all that other stuff, right? Let's just get some more game modes to mix things up for casual PvPers and tailor ranked to the hardcore scene. I think that's the way to go, personally.

>

> WoW doesn't (at least they didn't when I played) have any sort of solo-q ranked system for arena. These solo-q ladder-based games that just care about Wins/Losses do nothing but breed toxicity and anger and bitterness. Not to mention exploits from win-trading and people purposefully NOT playing during off-peak hours (seriously... you are penalized for playing off peak times lol). It's a terrible, terrible system... and I can almost guarantee you that if people still got pips and chests, very few would care in the least about the missing "ranks" (as long as matchmaking still tried to make matches fair) ... in fact, I'd wager that you'd see more people playing PvP during all hours of the day.

>

> No "competitive" team-based game should ever be solo-q ranked. It's absurd. It's been pointed out how terrible it is ad nauseam.

>

> I think they should have tourneys and rankings based on pre-made teams only -- versus other premade teams only (like WoW's Arena or premade battlegrounds, as you pointed out).

Ahh, okay. I see what you mean.

> @"ACiD.2713" said:

> Best PVE game , but one of the worst in pvp atm. Killing Guardian in 2-3 secs .... that guardian means tank,heavy armor and etc , come on. What is the fun to one shot someone in light armor even. I prefer longer fights with less dmg and long sustain than 3-4 skills spam and kill someone. I am old GW1 player , and buy GW2 instantly after release played some time and stop, but i am back now to playing again but, pvp in this state i only going pvp for the daily rewards and thats it. Its not fun at all. They seriously rework dmg in pvp.

> Peace.

Just the constant spam builds and op elite specs like scourge and mirage piss me off. Yeah, ok you can "deal" with them but THEYRE NOT FUN TO PLAY AGAINST. THIS IS WHY PVPERS LEAVE.