New Race Suggestion

> @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > @"Tom Hsiao.9705" said:

> > > @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > > > @"Tom Hsiao.9705" said:

> > > > > @"Elspereth.1280" said:

> > > > > > @"Tom Hsiao.9705" said:

> > > > > > Of course they bring something another race doesn't already offer: **immortality **!! (and MORE attractiveness yes) perhaps special racial skill sets that reflex elf abilities.

> > > > > > They're known for their knowledge, magic power, eternal youth ...the list can go on and on you can do some research on google on your own.

> > > > > > If vast majority of people doesn't want it then it wouldn't have been brought up by "different" people **numerous **times. Just because the people who likes elf are not as active on the forum as the ones that's oppose to it doesn't mean vast majority of people doesn't want it.

> > > > >

> > > > > Who is to say that the sylvari aren't immortal (or at least have tree length life spans)

> > > >

> > > > If sylvari have immortality or tree length life spam I’m sure it would have been mentioned somewhere in the game. I’m not sure what yours point and why you have to bring up sylvari when I’m talking about elf. They’re totally different race.

> > > >

> > > The point is you want to introduce a race totally stranger to Tyria without even knowing the most basic about the lore of the games, only to get pointy ears on a human.

> >

> > You sound like the people who commented “we don’t need mounts because it doesn’t fit the lore of the game” prior to POF when people were asking for mounts in the forum, but guess what?? We still got mounts and I bet you those people are enjoying the mount now!!! So the whole lore of the game is just not a legit excuse. Oh and what makes you think it’s totally stranger to Tyria? Do you have all the upcoming storylines??? If not what makes you think it’s stranger to Tyria? Unless you’re development team I don’t think whatever you’re saying is legit.

>

> I was opposed to mounts in GW2 because gameplay and visual clutter issues. IMO, Anet solved my major concerns quite well by making awesome mounts that behave totally different from the basic concept of mount present in every other MMORPG, which I keep despising today. I still think Mounts in GW2 are detrimental to the administration of speed boons and the linked cost opportunity for exploring-builds vs pure-combat-builds, but my worries were mostly covered. They did an incredible job.

>

> That being said, I was never contrary to Mounts for Lore reasons. Lore reasons were NEVER a strong or logical basis against mounts. There were almost 0 Lore previously established about mounts on Tyria, so Anet had a perfect Tabula Rasa to develop the concept. While it is still a bit farfetched they haven't explained why isn't there a more widespread use of mounts in the world aside from Elona and the commander; current mounts are perfectly Lore friendly, matching the world without any problem and adding incredibly original and interesting elements to it. Most game breaking stuff come from some gemstore skins, which are supposed to be non canon anyway.

> However, Mounts are still more in the side of game mechanics than in the lore side.

>

> This is totally different with a new playable Race. The devs themselves have said it: the reason why adding a New Race is seen as a major and hard to prioritize project is because they have little mechanical impact, but require a HUGE work from the Story and History sides. Playable races are the most literal embodiment of the Lore of the game.

>

> Elves simply doesn't exist in Tyria at all. AFAIK, there are not one mention of them anywhere in the game or in the wiki or in the devs's comments (aside from that one about making sylvari less similar to elves). They don't have a past in Tyria, don't have a role to fulfill, don't have anything to add that is not covered already by humans, sylvari or by ancient entities like the exalted or the mursaat. They don't have anything to do with the development of the current events, and they don't have any relation with the overarching theme of the game, which is the conflict around mega powerful, force of nature like, dragons.

>

> In short, they don't make sense.

>

> The writers for GW2 would have to directly make elves appear from nowhere without any reason, create a whole culture without any antecedent to it, build some physical place where they could stay, connect them to the game's story on the fly, without any previous hook, all just to have a new race that only add redundancy over things we already have. And all of this, just so you can have a human with pointy ears.

>

> Do you want to play with a magical immortal? Ask Anet to make Exalted playable. I'll backup it, it could be interesting.

> Do you want cosmetic ears for your human? Ok, I can support that. It is somewhat reasonable as long as is just gemstore stuff.

> Do you want Anet to add an entire new race that doesn't make sense and will make them copy a tired cliche almost every other game already have? Please develop some self criticism.

So...I was right about you and the mounts...pfft I’m glad we have mounts now!!!

Personally I don’t think it would be that difficult to introduce the elf. I remembere how they first introduced the norn and asura back in GW1. They Just popped out of nowhere from some cave/tunnel thing because some destroyers were after them. (It would have been against the lore according to your standard because they were not mentioned ANYWHERE prior to eye of the north expansion) so all I’m saying is if they have done it before I don’t see why they can’t do it now. It can easily be done with some rift opened up an unknown portal and connected the 2 world or the same old trick they did with norn and asura or they can even have asura create this super human with elf look alike race...(if they do take my ideas they better give me elf not something else...) Elf doesn’t need to be mentioned if it is from an unknown world/place people from Tyria had NEVER been/seen before. I think people needs to be more open minded when playing MMORPG.

The story doesn’t need to tie to ONLY in Tyria and elder dragons it can expend to another world/zones too that’s all I’m saying so stop fixating on only thing you have seen or heard.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Tom Hsiao.9705" said:

> > @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > > @"Tom Hsiao.9705" said:

> > > > @"Elspereth.1280" said:

> > > > > @"Tom Hsiao.9705" said:

> > > > > Of course they bring something another race doesn't already offer: **immortality **!! (and MORE attractiveness yes) perhaps special racial skill sets that reflex elf abilities.

> > > > > They're known for their knowledge, magic power, eternal youth ...the list can go on and on you can do some research on google on your own.

> > > > > If vast majority of people doesn't want it then it wouldn't have been brought up by "different" people **numerous **times. Just because the people who likes elf are not as active on the forum as the ones that's oppose to it doesn't mean vast majority of people doesn't want it.

> > > >

> > > > Who is to say that the sylvari aren't immortal (or at least have tree length life spans)

> > >

> > > If sylvari have immortality or tree length life spam I’m sure it would have been mentioned somewhere in the game. I’m not sure what yours point and why you have to bring up sylvari when I’m talking about elf. They’re totally different race.

> > >

> > The point is you want to introduce a race totally stranger to Tyria without even knowing the most basic about the lore of the games, only to get pointy ears on a human.

>

> You sound like the people who commented “we don’t need mounts because it doesn’t fit the lore of the game” prior to POF when people were asking for mounts in the forum, but guess what?? We still got mounts and I bet you those people are enjoying the mount now!!! So the whole lore of the game is just not a legit excuse. Oh and what makes you think it’s totally stranger to Tyria? Do you have all the upcoming storylines??? If not what makes you think it’s stranger to Tyria? Unless you’re development team I don’t think whatever you’re saying is legit.

Mounts and new races aren't comparable because they have completly diffrent issues.

Ppl had *mechanical* issues with mounts, more specificly standard mmo mounts would cause issues with gw2's design. Anet adressed this issue by designing a completly new mount system. Anet didn't ignore their problems as so many ppl seem to think as they didn't introduce a standard mmo mount system. the only thing anet disagreed on with the anti-mount crowed was that they couldn't make a new system that adresed their problems.

The issue with a new race is a *development* issue. The amount of work that goes into a new race that lives up to anet's standards can't be justified by what it gives players or anet (an issue mounts never sufferd from)

This issue needs to be adressed but it's clear anet doesn't know how and all suggestions from the playerbase are either to lower their standards or do something else that's guaranteed to piss off the majority of the playerbase