Suggestion: add weapon and backpack recolours to the game...

Like many people, I'd love to be able to dye backpacks and weapons, to enhance my overall look. I also know that this is enormously difficult to add, so isn't going to happen.

It'd be nice, then, if y'all would consider adding recolours of items. For example, a green recolour of the Touch of Madness would be wonderful. I'd grind out the painful gold to buy one of those too! There is already some precedent in the game for this: the Spinal Blades backpacks have the three colours, red, green, and blue, that you can add.

I'd also hope that, unlike reworking everything including the engine and the artwork to handle dye channels, recolours of gear would be relatively inexpensive -- but would also be interesting enough to me, at least, to be an exciting bit of new content.

> @"Last Crysis.1934" said:

> I am all for the back piece being dyeable. I got the moth wing back pack/glider set and only the glide can be dyed.

As I said, this would be an enormously expensive technical undertaking: get the artists to add dye channels to all backs, get the developers to implement support in literally every single aspect of the system -- server, client, save files, etc -- for an additional dye channel, test it all, deal with the inevitable bugs, etc.

That isn't, realistically, going to happen, which we could know even if ANet had not explicitly told us so in previous discussions on the subject.

So, yeah, it'd be great, but I'm asking for something simpler, involving only adding one new item definition per colour, and the artists to recolor items to a new scheme on the existing design. My hope would be that by being radically simpler, it might actually happen.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > Why would they allow you to dye weapons or backpacks when they can sell you recoloured skins seperately?

>

> That is what the op is suggesting

I'm neither suggesting they should be sold, or freely changeable: I'd prefer the later, and can dream up ways it could be implemented or whatever, but ...

...I'm not ANet. I have no idea how they would handle the economics of this work, or where they would put it. I'm interested in having the recolours, I'll deal with whatever path they choose.