Allow us to instantly switch from one mount to another

> @"JDub.1530" said:

> > @"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:

> > > @"JDub.1530" said:

> > > Not consistent? I assume you mean remounting goes on cooldown? How are you dismounting? If you're using the engage skill, that (usually) puts remounting on cooldown. But if you use the default mount key or the mount specific hotkeys to dismount, you should be able to instantly remount. Which could be why you can't just seamlessly switch mounts, because it would remove the functionality of dismounting without using the engage skill.

> >

> > ?

> >

> > How it works for me is I use, for example, my Jackal hotkey to mount up. I then use my Raptor hotkey, but instead of instantly changing to Raptor, I simply dismount.

> >

>

> Then how would you dismount? I'd rather not add ANOTHER hotkey to the game just for dismounting.

You don't have to. Hitting any of the mount hotkeys, including the one you're currently on, will dismount you.

I've mentioned in other discussions on this topic that this behavior already exists in the game when going from a player mount to a training mount, but appears to be restricted from being instant for player mount to player mount switching.

If you go to the Djinn area where you acquire the Jackal mount, you can instantly switch between your current mount (e.g. Raptor) onto the 'training' Jackal without any kind of dismounting animation or transition. It is literally instantaneous; mount disappears and is instantly replaced with the training Jackal.

As this semi-frequently requested behavior is already in the game, player mounts having a forced dismount limitation would seem to be an intentional design choice. As altering player mount swap behavior to also function this way would likely require little more than simply disabling the limitation on player mounts, the entire mount swap behavior would not need to be completely reworked to alter it - it would just take someone at ArenaNet to change their mind on this forced behavior and give the go-ahead to disable the required dismount to swap limitation.

Why not also remove weapon swap cooldown because it is so annoying that you have to wait 10s?

But seriously, I think it is perfect the way it is. Changing mounts without getting off of them makes totally no sense. If you don't have a spare second to change your mount then maybe you shouldn't be playing at all.

> @"JDub.1530" said:

> > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > > @"JDub.1530" said:

> > > > @"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:

> > > > > @"JDub.1530" said:

> > > > > Not consistent? I assume you mean remounting goes on cooldown? How are you dismounting? If you're using the engage skill, that (usually) puts remounting on cooldown. But if you use the default mount key or the mount specific hotkeys to dismount, you should be able to instantly remount. Which could be why you can't just seamlessly switch mounts, because it would remove the functionality of dismounting without using the engage skill.

> > > >

> > > > ?

> > > >

> > > > How it works for me is I use, for example, my Jackal hotkey to mount up. I then use my Raptor hotkey, but instead of instantly changing to Raptor, I simply dismount.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Then how would you dismount? I'd rather not add ANOTHER hotkey to the game just for dismounting.

> >

> > The obvious one is by switching to the mount you're on. (Use "Jackal" key to get on the jackal, then use "Raptor" key to switch to Raptor, then use "Raptor" key again to dismount, that sort of thing.)

>

> That may be A solution, but in my opinion, not a great one. I can foresee myself stumbling around swapping mounts trying to remember which of the 5 (or 6) hotkeys is the right one to dismount with.

It doesn't matter, you dismount with every bound mount hotkey. I. e. you are on a raptor and want to mount the jackal, you press any dismount key - let's say here the jackal , then press the jackal hotkey again to mount. Wow... that some people never found that out?

> @"Biff.5312" said:

>

> > Here's how to imagine it:

> >

> > First tap doesn't dismount you.

>

> I think everyone gets what you mean - you want to switch without dismounting. It's not going to happen. You have to dismount as a deliberate step. Not only does this make logical sense, but the game designers want you to have to make the decision to risk aggro etc. before you get to mount the new choice. Also, it's not enough of a problem to warrant any attention.

While being logical what is the gain in fun and game experience that you have 'to make decision'? In the end it's just annoying and you just run away til you de-aggro and then you mount the new mount. It's the same with the 'in combat' mechanic. To incentivise fighting, but 99% run away anyways.

People are so much stuck in their typical gaming/MMO tropes that they _think_ it has to be how it is. But imo Anet is a company that made exactly a lot of those obsolete and ancient mechanics unnecessary and they showed it does work differently. Here it's the same.

> @"ProtoGunner.4953" said:

> > @"JDub.1530" said:

> > > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > > > @"JDub.1530" said:

> > > > > @"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:

> > > > > > @"JDub.1530" said:

> > > > > > Not consistent? I assume you mean remounting goes on cooldown? How are you dismounting? If you're using the engage skill, that (usually) puts remounting on cooldown. But if you use the default mount key or the mount specific hotkeys to dismount, you should be able to instantly remount. Which could be why you can't just seamlessly switch mounts, because it would remove the functionality of dismounting without using the engage skill.

> > > > >

> > > > > ?

> > > > >

> > > > > How it works for me is I use, for example, my Jackal hotkey to mount up. I then use my Raptor hotkey, but instead of instantly changing to Raptor, I simply dismount.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Then how would you dismount? I'd rather not add ANOTHER hotkey to the game just for dismounting.

> > >

> > > The obvious one is by switching to the mount you're on. (Use "Jackal" key to get on the jackal, then use "Raptor" key to switch to Raptor, then use "Raptor" key again to dismount, that sort of thing.)

> >

> > That may be A solution, but in my opinion, not a great one. I can foresee myself stumbling around swapping mounts trying to remember which of the 5 (or 6) hotkeys is the right one to dismount with.

>

> It doesn't matter, you dismount with every bound mount hotkey. I. e. you are on a raptor and want to mount the jackal, you press any dismount key - let's say here the jackal , then press the jackal hotkey again to mount. Wow... that some people never found that out?

I know this, but if the change went through that you could swap between mounts without dismounting, this functionality would be overwritten.

> @"JDub.1530" said:

> > @"ProtoGunner.4953" said:

> > > @"JDub.1530" said:

> > > > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > > > > @"JDub.1530" said:

> > > > > > @"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:

> > > > > > > @"JDub.1530" said:

> > > > > > > Not consistent? I assume you mean remounting goes on cooldown? How are you dismounting? If you're using the engage skill, that (usually) puts remounting on cooldown. But if you use the default mount key or the mount specific hotkeys to dismount, you should be able to instantly remount. Which could be why you can't just seamlessly switch mounts, because it would remove the functionality of dismounting without using the engage skill.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > ?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > How it works for me is I use, for example, my Jackal hotkey to mount up. I then use my Raptor hotkey, but instead of instantly changing to Raptor, I simply dismount.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Then how would you dismount? I'd rather not add ANOTHER hotkey to the game just for dismounting.

> > > >

> > > > The obvious one is by switching to the mount you're on. (Use "Jackal" key to get on the jackal, then use "Raptor" key to switch to Raptor, then use "Raptor" key again to dismount, that sort of thing.)

> > >

> > > That may be A solution, but in my opinion, not a great one. I can foresee myself stumbling around swapping mounts trying to remember which of the 5 (or 6) hotkeys is the right one to dismount with.

> >

> > It doesn't matter, you dismount with every bound mount hotkey. I. e. you are on a raptor and want to mount the jackal, you press any dismount key - let's say here the jackal , then press the jackal hotkey again to mount. Wow... that some people never found that out?

>

> I know this, but if the change went through that you could swap between mounts without dismounting, this functionality would be overwritten.

So?

You would just use your current mount hotkey to dismount, and any other mount hotkey would insta-switch. Also player incompetence isn't an excuse not to implement a feature...

> @"JDub.1530" said:

> > @"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:

> > > @"JDub.1530" said:

> > > Not consistent? I assume you mean remounting goes on cooldown? How are you dismounting? If you're using the engage skill, that (usually) puts remounting on cooldown. But if you use the default mount key or the mount specific hotkeys to dismount, you should be able to instantly remount. Which could be why you can't just seamlessly switch mounts, because it would remove the functionality of dismounting without using the engage skill.

> >

> > ?

> >

> > How it works for me is I use, for example, my Jackal hotkey to mount up. I then use my Raptor hotkey, but instead of instantly changing to Raptor, I simply dismount.

> >

>

> Then how would you dismount? I'd rather not add ANOTHER hotkey to the game just for dismounting.

There is a basic key already for "current mount" called "mount". It lets you mount and dismount the mount you already have selected. There is no need to change this.