New player

> @"TamX.1870" said:

> > @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > So, yeah, I initially picked Guardian because I enjoy Paladin style things in most games, and a bunch of 'em call it Guardian, or whatever. It was ... not what I enjoy. Not bad, don't get me wrong, just not for me. That was a big surprise.

>

> Yeah, it is something different you have used to in other games. But I think it is closest equivalent to traditional Paladin class the game has.

Off topic, but it absolutely is. Guardian is the same archtype, and the skills and themes fit it really well. Like, they did a great job capturing the fantasy.

I *like* the Guardian fantasy, even. I just don't click with the class mechanically. Which is cool and all, like, not everything has to be about me, y'know. :)

> @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> I'd also say that the biggest surprise to me, coming directly from WoW, and indirectly from a pile of other MMOs, was that GW2 classes are actually **unique**.

>

> That is: a GW2 warrior is *not* the same as a warrior in literally every other MMO in existence, where they all play basically the same. Ranger is not the same cardboard cutout. Necro is wildly different. Mesmer has basically no comparison in most.

>

> So, yeah, I initially picked Guardian because I enjoy Paladin style things in most games, and a bunch of 'em call it Guardian, or whatever. It was ... not what I enjoy. Not bad, don't get me wrong, just not for me. That was a big surprise.

After playing GW2 for years and being comfortable with a few professions, I challenged myself to try out others. The overall gameplay and game concepts were no longer foreign so I was better able to focus on profession builds and mechanics. I grabbed a few builds posted here and elsewhere and tweaked them to the point I was able to understand and work with them. Initially, I despised mesmer because I couldn't get it to work, but now it is my 2nd profession (ranger is my main) because I found ways to enjoy it.

So, my advice is to find a profession that is comfortable and get used to the game; then, branch out and try other professions that you earlier discarded. You may find them more fun, then.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> After playing GW2 for years and being comfortable with a few professions, I challenged myself to try out others. The overall gameplay and game concepts were no longer foreign so I was better able to focus on profession builds and mechanics. I grabbed a few builds posted here and elsewhere and tweaked them to the point I was able to understand and work with them. Initially, I despised mesmer because I couldn't get it to work, but now it is my 2nd profession (ranger is my main) because I found ways to enjoy it.

Entertainingly, I don't find mesmer a ridiculously squishy pain to play now. I'm not certain exactly how much is core mesmer vs mirage, and how much is "I don't suck any longer", but I'm pretty sure it is heavily weighted to the later.

So, yeah, mastery of the game is also a big differentiator in your experience with the classes. Who knows, maybe I would even like guardian if I tried it again.