Rollerbeetle outside of Kourna?

> @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > @"Arioch.6507" said:

> > > @"Taurid.1753" said:

> > > > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > > Wasting tons of dev work on a mount designed for a single map? Really unlikely.

> > >

> > > While the scale is much smaller than a mount, that didn't stop them from locking LW3 masteries to the maps they are used on and no where else.

> >

> > except for that gliding everywhere else.

>

> Gliding is a HoT mastery, not LS3.

> LS3 masteries were

> * Counter Magic special action: small use outside LS3 maps.

> * Thermal Tubes: Only LS3

> * Koda's Flame: Only *that map*.

> * Spectral Agony: All PvE

> * Oakheart's Reach: Only that map **And Guild Halls**

> * Siren's Harmony (or whatever it was called) Only that map.

>

> So 3 map-locked, 1 over several maps, 1 semi-wide and 1 gamewide.

Just adding a slight correction in bold. :)

> @"Endless Soul.5178" said:

> > @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > Gliding is a HoT mastery, not LS3.

> > LS3 masteries were

> > * Counter Magic special action: small use outside LS3 maps.

> > * Thermal Tubes: Only LS3

> > * Koda's Flame: Only *that map*.

> > * Spectral Agony: All PvE

> > * Oakheart's Reach: Only that map **And Guild Halls**

> > * Siren's Harmony (or whatever it was called) Only that map.

> >

> > So 3 map-locked, 1 over several maps, 1 semi-wide and 1 gamewide.

>

> Just adding a slight correction in bold. :)

/doh! I even got it myself for my guild!

I expect it to be only on the new map and will be hoping to be suprised when it's available everywhere.

It's a LS4 thing, just as much as the gliding skills, thermal tubes, koda's Flame etc. were LS3 things. As sad as it is, I think this has to happen to keep releases somewhat sepparated, so players will have to get all if they want all. Also from the footage I assume that it's faster than the raptor and I doubt they want to devalue their mounts so soon, i.e. before Exp3. Third point are the skins and skinpacks they already sold. Sure, they can sell more or have packs now contain 6 skins but also cost 2.4k gems

The only way I would see the beetle rolling everywhere would be if 1) Speed is the same or less that raptor 2) Wallbreaking is the LS4 thing that happens only on maps in this season. So it would be super useful in this season and more of a cosmetic choice everywhere else.

> @"Tasida.4085" said:

> > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > > @"Tasida.4085" said:

> > > Guess which new mount I'll never be using. I guess someone has to like it so I'll leave it to them that do. I didn't like the mini or the races I sure don't like the mount LOL. Just.....YUCK #mammalsFTW

> >

> > Mammals, huh?

> >

> > I guess you don't like the Raptor (Lizard? Reptile?), Skimmer (???), Griffon (they lay eggs) or Jackal (magic sand) either. :wink:

>

> You'll be one of those that likes the bug. Right on, to each their own. You enjoy the insect and I'll piddle around on the other mounts and the gaming world is a happy place :) And PS....mammals are warm blooded vertebrates so jackals and griffons (shame they never existed) do fall into that class...ijs. The only bug I rock is a VW lol

Sorry... My OCD kicking in... But Mammals are called such because they have mammary glands... Things like Birds, lizards, amphibians (frogs), marsupials (such as kangaroos, koalas, opossums, etc.) don't quite qualify, I don't believe... Unless you have mammary glands, you can't be considered a mammal...

The jackal, if it were not made of sand, might have qualified. But since it is just magic sand, it doesn't quite fit the classification either...

Sorry again for the OCD fit... LoL

> @"smsarasin.3468" said:

> > @"Tasida.4085" said:

> > > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > > > @"Tasida.4085" said:

> > > > Guess which new mount I'll never be using. I guess someone has to like it so I'll leave it to them that do. I didn't like the mini or the races I sure don't like the mount LOL. Just.....YUCK #mammalsFTW

> > >

> > > Mammals, huh?

> > >

> > > I guess you don't like the Raptor (Lizard? Reptile?), Skimmer (???), Griffon (they lay eggs) or Jackal (magic sand) either. :wink:

> >

> > You'll be one of those that likes the bug. Right on, to each their own. You enjoy the insect and I'll piddle around on the other mounts and the gaming world is a happy place :) And PS....mammals are warm blooded vertebrates so jackals and griffons (shame they never existed) do fall into that class...ijs. The only bug I rock is a VW lol

>

> Sorry... My OCD kicking in... But Mammals are called such because they have mammary glands... Things like Birds, lizards, amphibians (frogs), marsupials (such as kangaroos, koalas, opossums, etc.) don't quite qualify, I don't believe... Unless you have mammary glands, you can't be considered a mammal...

>

> The jackal, if it were not made of sand, might have qualified. But since it is just magic sand, it doesn't quite fit the classification either...

>

> Sorry again for the OCD fit... LoL

>

Marsupials are, in fact, mammals.

> @"HazyDaisy.4107" said:

> I'm hoping it's the lead in to mounts in wvw. I can think of only a couple of objectives that have "ramp like" structures/gullies on the outside which could probably be jumped (depending on how far it flies through the air) with this mount allowing access to the inside. But for the potential payoff of new abilities and possible increased movement across what many describe as sluggish land, I think any problem areas could be quickly addressed and overall players would enjoy it.

I don't believe we will ever see mounts in WvW, and rightly so. They will never get added to existing WvW maps. It would make fortifications worthless. And if they tried something like they did with gliders, in that they are disabled in enemy controlled zones, it would give a HUGE, possibly insurmountable, defender's advantage.

The only way we could possibly see mounts in WvW is in a new map specifically designed with mounts in mind, and I don't even thing that would happen, because they would probably have to somehow rebalance siege as well. If you make a keep wall too high for a Springer to jump, then how does that affect siege placement, or the ability of teams to hit each other (or placed siege) with normal weapon skills.

> @"JDub.1530" said:

> > @"HazyDaisy.4107" said:

> I don't believe we will ever see mounts in WvW, and rightly so. They will never get added to existing WvW maps. It would make fortifications worthless.

It probably depends on the mount. If they just added a single mount type to WvW (even something entirely new and unique to WvW), with a particular use case that is well-designed, it could be a positive change.

Another option would be to do mounts differently from PvE -- instead of pressing X to mount anywhere, you could be limited to only mounting from specific points, e.g. some supply camps with stables. You could further balance it by ensuring that those locations only produce a finite number of mounts, so you can't just have a springer-mounted zerg hop a wall and storm a fort, but you might be able to put together a small team of really fast roamers.

Presumably if they add mounts, they will also add some counter-mount gameplay (like the various dismounting traps found in PvE areas)

> @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > @"lokh.2695" said:

> > I expect it to be only on the new map

>

> Do you want to bet 50g on that? :p

> If Roller Beetles are usable only in Kourna I give you 50g.

> If Roller Beetles are usable on other maps you give me 50g.

I don't bet. But we can meet here next week and see who's right anyway. Also, as I hope the beetle to be available in all of tyria, I would be beting against my own interests and who would want that ;)

To each their own.......there will be bug fans (same as that dreadful peacock raptor) and then griffon/jackal fans as well. And 9 tails fox I'm quite sure has mammary glands and I'm willing to bet the griffon (lower half lion) is like a platypus if could actually be proven so it's mammal LOL. You lot just need to accept not everyone is a bug mount fan.

You see problems where don't have and you complicate the easy. I imagine that the function of the raptor is not just to be quick, he can also make a big leap forward, and surely the beetle won't be able to do that. If we are to follow this line of thought then the Jackal should not be available outside the Crystal Desert.