Idea: Open World, Group designed, "Dungeons"

I am using the term Dungeons in the context of the MMO term not literal meaning here.

But some people may remember back in Vanilla World of Warcraft a place called Stromgarde Keep. It has elites and all that stuff, and when leveling up we had to ask to form teams to traverse the keep like some sort of Open World Dungeon. There was another one of these, it was a Troll Temple called Jintha'Alor with lots of Elite NPC. Back then Elites were more dangerous, But thats my point. I would like something like that in GW2 in the open world. A place that is a no mount area, and has lots of NPC that cant be soloed and must group up to traverse to the end. You can team up with as many people as you can find or as little if you have the skill to make up for it. Similar to Ingame dungeons currently, but Open World instead of instanced. I would like a few of these. maybe 2 or 3 total all over the game world. Dont need to be many. Vanilla WoW had both these and traditional instanced dungeons, so I know this concept can coexist. I think older MMOs like Everquest also had this if I am not mistaken. This not to replace Instances. That I want to make clear. This just another element of gameplay in the open world, like metas and bounties.

I like the idea, personally, of having some areas that are a step up in challenge level compared to the rest of the open world. The relatively flat difficulty across zones is convenient, but sometimes makes it hard to feel like it is a living world, not a game.

That said, I'd expect they would have to be excluded from map completion POIs and so forth, or else they would become a real blocker to fun for a bunch of people. Especially if there were not significant, HoT meta style, rewards for participating in the area. The existence of which meta might also usefully tie into the general increased difficulty of the zone...

> @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> I am using the term Dungeons in the context of the MMO term not literal meaning here.

>

> But some people may remember back in Vanilla World of Warcraft a place called Stromgarde Keep. It has elites and all that stuff, and when leveling up we had to ask to form teams to traverse the keep like some sort of Open World Dungeon. There was another one of these, it was a Troll Temple called Jintha'Alor with lots of Elite NPC. Back then Elites were more dangerous, But thats my point. I would like something like that in GW2 in the open world. A place that is a no mount area, and has lots of NPC that cant be soloed and must group up to traverse to the end. You can team up with as many people as you can find or as little if you have the skill to make up for it. Similar to Ingame dungeons currently, but Open World instead of instanced. I would like a few of these. maybe 2 or 3 total all over the game world. Dont need to be many. Vanilla WoW had both these and traditional instanced dungeons, so I know this concept can coexist. I think older MMOs like Everquest also had this if I am not mistaken. This not to replace Instances. That I want to make clear. This just another element of gameplay in the open world, like metas and bounties.

It would have been really cool if something like this had ended up in Path of Fire.

They should have put it in the northwestern corner of Desert Highlands where that open world dungeon they made is.

Yeah that would have been really awesome.

I think the existing mini dungeon concept is a good starting base for the idea. Font of Rhand is a really good example, which could then be developed further. The desert highlands one is one of my favs, but yeah could also be expanded upon.

It would have to not interfere with the rest of the map though - ie no vistas, poi, hps etc. The only issue i foresee is how to stop it being trivialised by zergs. Perhaps using similar mechanics to guild challenges might work. Or perhaps they could just make a load more of those.

Certainly there is some scope to adapt on build in what they already have to produce this kind of content.

> @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> I am using the term Dungeons in the context of the MMO term not literal meaning here.

>

> But some people may remember back in Vanilla World of Warcraft a place called Stromgarde Keep. It has elites and all that stuff, and when leveling up we had to ask to form teams to traverse the keep like some sort of Open World Dungeon. There was another one of these, it was a Troll Temple called Jintha'Alor with lots of Elite NPC. Back then Elites were more dangerous, But thats my point. I would like something like that in GW2 in the open world. A place that is a no mount area, and has lots of NPC that cant be soloed and must group up to traverse to the end. You can team up with as many people as you can find or as little if you have the skill to make up for it. Similar to Ingame dungeons currently, but Open World instead of instanced. I would like a few of these. maybe 2 or 3 total all over the game world. Dont need to be many. Vanilla WoW had both these and traditional instanced dungeons, so I know this concept can coexist. I think older MMOs like Everquest also had this if I am not mistaken. This not to replace Instances. That I want to make clear. This just another element of gameplay in the open world, like metas and bounties.

I got my first trinket from that.