3 thoughts on Long Live The Lich

> @"lokh.2695" said:

> > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > There are a few existing enemies which use the same model as the black widow spider - the [Toxic Spider Queen](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Champion_Toxic_Spider_Queen "Toxic Spider Queen") for example.

> > >

> > > The one in the video is just a spider standing there, there's nothing to suggest it's a new pet so I think it's far more likely to be an enemy.

> >

> > Which will be great for those players whose fears came to light during the threads asking for a spider mount.

>

> There are people with terrifying fears for all sorts of things, dogs, birds, crowds, gravity...at least in my headcannon, ANet didn't give us the Spidermount because it was too difficult to code, but beeing thoughtful about ppl suffering from arachnophobia sounds better. Remember, we care ;)

Whilst it's true people are scared of all kinds of things arachnophobia is often reported to be one of the most common phobias in the world. (And there's a lot of other people who aren't technically phobic but don't like spiders and will try to avoid them.)

I don't find it at all difficult to believe that concerns about driving away large numbers of people was a factor in the decision. Even players who are currently able to cope with the spider enemies and ranger pets may not want to play a game where spiders large enough for a player character to sit on can run through (almost) any area at any time. Or even worse having to use a spider mount themselves (which would be the case in GW2 since all the mounts have unique abilities) - putting a massive spider front and centre with your character on top of it.

Although at the same time I assume if they really thought the game needed a spider mount and would be worse off without it they'd go ahead and put it in.