Suggestion - The Beetle mount Endurance Bar needs some adjustment.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not useful for everything. And that's a good thing.

Get better and riding.

Stop hitting things.

Learn how to use the terrain for air --> tricks --> Endurance.

Don't use it if you need to start/stop (gathering) often.

Keep it as is, though Endurance gain on drifting would be welcomed. But not essential.

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> think about it, that would put the raptor out of business. The beetle is a situational mount for long and big stretches.

It wouldn't put the raptor out of business. The raptor will always have superior turning radius and control. The beetle can't turn easily and loses tons of speed when you touch a vertical surface.

I'm in the camp of just make it start at full endurance. It won't invalidate the other mounts. The other mounts still have superior control, they don't lose speed going uphill, they turn on a dime, etc. The beetle has plenty of drawbacks that other mounts make up for regardless of the endurance bar.

However, I have another idea. Maybe make the boost usable at any time? When the bar is only 10% full let me use it to get a 1 second boost just to get moving. It's obnoxious to wait 10 seconds while moving slower than walking speed. My mesmer can outrun unboosted beetle on foot using jaunt and blink...

Currently it has a very long waiting time, you mostly don't even want to use it. The first version before the nerf was perfect.

I think the handling/turning problem is its downside already, all other mounts have a full endurance bar.

> @"Blackwaltz.7156" said:

> > @"runeblade.7514" said:

> > > @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> > > > @"runeblade.7514" said:

> > > > > @"Blackwaltz.7156" said:

> > > > > > @"runeblade.7514" said:

> > > > > > > @"Blackwaltz.7156" said:

> > > > > > > > @"runeblade.7514" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Blackwaltz.7156" said:

> > > > > > > > > Another idea.

> > > > > > > > > Since last mastery trait is endurance-oriented, add the following effect to it: "Mastery over the beetle riding allows you to start with full endurance when mounting up."

> > > > > > > > > Problem solved. Band aid though, not full fix to the core issues of the mount, but it would help keep it's niche (straight flat grounds or ramps) better. Meanwhile Jackal and Raptor leap like crazy and could be faster in certain terrains.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > You solved one problem and you make more problems. Why should I use raptor or Jackal now?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > You would use the raptor for the reason it was designed, leaping over chasms, but yea leaping overall.

> > > > > > > You would use the jackal for the reason it was designed, going into sand portals (shortcuts) and its general maneuverability and teleports.

> > > > > > > The beetle is meant for speed- but only on FLAT terrain or ramps! It's useless anywhere else - or hard to use at least.

> > > > > > > It feels so bad for few seconds after mounting to go at the speed of what feels like slower than walking.

> > > > > > > For as I see it, this would be a QoL upgrade.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > So what you are suggesting is that you want Raptors and Jackals to be used as niches only, while Rollerbeetles are to be used as a main mount. Frankly, I disagree with that suggestion because it will make future mounts either useless or the mounts have to keep up with the speedcreep.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Rollerbeetles are fine as it is because they are balanced compared to other mounts.

> > > > >

> > > > > Nowhere I mention I want the Roller Beetle as main mount. That would be the griffon.

> > > >

> > > > It doesn't matter what you mention or didn't mention. What will happen with beetles having full endurance when mounted is that it will replace Jackals and Raptors.

> > > >

> > > > > Also, do not forget how groundbreaking a mount is by itself. The bunny hops so far up its gamebreaking by itself, the raptor leaps such long distances (obsolete mostly by griffon), the manta ray makes you go crazy fast over water.

> > > >

> > > > And beetles with no endurance would make all of them useless.

> > > >

> > > > > The roller beetle, even starting with full endurance, would still suck at: leaping, rocky terrain, water, corridors or narrow paths.

> > > >

> > > > and thus reducing the other mounts as niche.

> > >

> > > Griffon makes raptor obsolete? Really? I'm sorry, but that's an objectively false claim. The raptor is clearly faster over short distances and over any terrain where the griffon's superior ability to cover more vertical terrain (e.g. stepped cliffs) doesn't come into play. The raptor also has arguably the most useful engage ability, while the griffon's might as well not exist. Thus, in practice, players with access to both end up using both on a regular basis.

> > >

> >

> > Can you tell me where I say griffon makes raptor obsolete? The other person said it, not me. I also agree that griffon doesn't make raptor obsolete because they need a high terrain to function at max speed.

> >

> > > Now, on to the beetle. If you want to talk overlap, why are we not talking about how the beetle is overlapped by every other mount? Yeah, it can move faster than all but the griffon, and the griffon's max speed boost is far more limited by terrain than even the beetle. However, the beetle CAN'T JUMP! It also has no lower speed boost option such as the griffon has. Combined with its other limitations (looooong charge up, susceptibility to speed loss going uphill, no access to evade), its niche is so small as to be non-existent.

> >

> > The beetle can jump. You have to set up keybinds so that your accelerate key is not the jump key.

> >

> > While beetles have some downsides, it is balanced around the fact that Beetle has super fast speed that makes Sonic jealous, get a speed increase going downhill, has the ability to get back endurance when flying through the air, and has speed so fast that enemies can't attack more than once even **if** they could manage to land a hit.

> >

> > > The question you should be asking yourself is why the beetle is overlapped in nearly every type of terrain, even the sort that should be conducive to using the beetle.

> >

> > Except, beetles are not overlapped in every type of terrain except tiny corridors, underwater maps, and vertical maps.

>

> No I did not say that griffons make raptors obsolte. And yes, it matters what I mention.

> That's slander and lies.

>

[All I know is that I didn't write this.](https://imgur.com/a/Ti5qdCQ "All I know is that I didn't write this.")

> On point, we have a bettle mount that's supposed to be the speed king mount, only on flat terrain, but its not. It is absolutely the SLOWEST mount for short distances.

And Beetle is fastest mount at medium/long distance. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

> By making it start with full endurance it fulfills its purpose as the fast ground mount -for straight or downhill terrain- while the others maintain their advantages.

By making it start with full endurance, then beetle becomes the fastest mount for not just for short distance while also for medium distance and long distance. Every other mount becomes obsolete and all future mount becomes useless compared to the beetle.

> You easily slam into stuff making you go back to 0-speed. No height-terrain advantage like griffon. No control at high speeds.

Then don't slam into stuff. Master riding the beetle instead of complaining how useless you think they are.

>No height-terrain advantage like griffon. No control at high speeds.

Griffon needs to find a high place first for super speed which may take longer than 10 seconds.

> It is niche already enough already, the beetle that is. Forcing it to slow-mode at first, is making it obsolete and mostly -USELESS!!!- on maps that aren't Queensdale...

And Desert Highland, Crystal Oasis, Elon Riverlands, Vabbi, The Desolation, Domain of Istan, Auric Basin, The Silverwastes, Malchor's Leap, Cursed Shore, Straits of Devastation(You can roll around the south path), Frostgorge Sound, Mount Maelstrom, Fireheart Rise, Sparkfly Fen, Bloodtide Coast, Dredgehaunt Cliffs, Blazeridge Steppes, Harathi Hinterlands, Fields of Ruin, Lornar's Pass, Gendarran Fields, Snowden Drifts, Kessex Hills, Diessa Plateau, Brisban Wildlands, Wayfarer Foothills, ~~Queensdale,~~ Plains of Ashford, Metrica Province, Caledon Forest, Tangled Depth, Bloodstone Fen, Lake Doric, Ember Bay, Bitterfrost Frontier, Draconis Mons, Siren Landing .

> Non-endgame maps are full of waypoints, which mostly makes mounts obsolete, but - without taking that into consideration just look at the endgame maps for HOT.

> How useful is the beetle there? Even in POF maps which the beetle is more useful mostly, it's downtime with the 0-endurance start makes its gain relatively minimal in terms of speed. The mount's just cool and that's it. Having us wait 10seconds to speed up is an artificial obstacle to fun itself. Wanna use beetle? Sure go ahead - might as well wait 10 seconds or alt tab a moment for it to fill up.

I took a stroll in HoT map and I found it more useful than I thought.

* There is a ton of downhill terrain where I can pick up speed without needing to press 2.

* AB is mostly horizontal rather than vertical.

Of course, I am not using beetle all the times, Mostly a mix of other mount(Springer and Griffon mostly because of how vertical they are).

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> full endurance would make the beetle displace the Raptor and render it almost obsolete. But the beetle could probably have faster and shorter charging time.

Didnt they address /why/ it doesnt start with full endurance in the AMA?

One of the design requirements I was given for the beetle was that it not displace other mounts for everyday short distance travel needs. Short of cutting the top speed of the beetle, which I considered a non-viable solution, starting the mount in a state where it couldn’t immediately boost was the best compromise. The zero to full charge time was tuned to be about right for the delay between successive boosts, and from internal testing with stakeholders it was decided that it was also the correct delay before boosting after mounting up. Now that the mount has been live for a bit and players have had time to use it extensively, I’ve been comparing player experiences with our own internal notes. While I can’t promise anything, it’s possible there are some ways to soften the pain points of using the beetle while still keeping the other mounts desirable.

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> One of the design requirements I was given for the beetle was that it not displace other mounts for everyday short distance travel needs. Short of cutting the top speed of the beetle, which I considered a non-viable solution, starting the mount in a state where it couldn’t immediately boost was the best compromise. The zero to full charge time was tuned to be about right for the delay between successive boosts, and from internal testing with stakeholders it was decided that it was also the correct delay before boosting after mounting up. Now that the mount has been live for a bit and players have had time to use it extensively, I’ve been comparing player experiences with our own internal notes. While I can’t promise anything, it’s possible there are some ways to soften the pain points of using the beetle while still keeping the other mounts desirable.

Thank you for posting that, i do believe it needed to be posted here as well.

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> The beetle is a situational mount, not a main mount.

That's fine. But it's the only mount that forces you to wait 15 seconds before it can do what it's supposed to do. Poor design. If it could be situational without this limitation, I doubt many players would take issue with it.

So, let's address what's wrong with it. Give it a 3-stage endurance bar starting at 1/3 endurance. Using the boost at <100% endurance would consume 1/3 of the bar and boost speed by 1/3 of maximum (or perhaps the same speed boost, but for 1/3 the time?) while evading briefly. Using the boost at 100% endurance would produce the full boost just as it does now.

Alternatively, cut the endurance regen time by 50%. It is simply way too long.

I feel very ripped off spending all the time getting the mount only for it to be used in specific situations at best. You'd think that for traveling anywhere it would be the best mount but it feels like you are riding a snail when first mounting. And gaining speed is just a chore. Sad because this mount actually handles the best out of all the mounts.

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> The mount is free, and it only takes a couple hours if you are mindful of the worldboss timers.

> Now if it costed oodles of gold like the gryphon, then the complaint would be justified.

Who cares about the cost or the collection? The mount should feel better to use than it does. Situational or not, the wait to use it is too long. They should find a better way to achieve their objectives with this design.