Weapon Swap to manage Weaver Elements?

Ohoni.6057

To the original topic:

No, switching weapons is not going to make Weaver appealing to the masses all of a sudden. Just the fact that you have elements to switch for a completely different set of skills is the tradeoff for weapon swapping. If you add Weapon Swapping into the mix, you add another (insert number) of skills. That in and of itself would make the Weaver more difficult to master, rather than less. Not to mention more expensive to outfit.

As to the idea of making Weaver more "simple" to master, again, I say no. Right now, the appeal of Engineer is that it isn't playable by everyone. It is a difficult class to play, and it takes a special person to play one well. I see Weaver as the caster equivelent. It's not meant to be mastered by everyone.

I do understand your dislike for its difficulty. It is definitely going to be a class/profession that requires a bit of proficiency rather than simply speccing for it and running off to nuke things. I have to be honest with you, though, when I say that your post sounds more like "I can't play it so make it easier" than it sounds like "There's an issue with the mechanics." I also think that what you're suggesting with a second set of attunement options would actually make it more difficult rather than easier.

The other thing that you have to understand is that we have had roughly two weekends and a couple hours to play this profession. We cannot even begin to understand what will be the meta on it, nor do we know exactly how the elemental attunements will actually work once it's released. I would imagine that it will be considerably different playing in Verdant Brink than it will in the Crystal Desert.

> @Ashabhi.1365 said:

> To the original topic:

> No, switching weapons is not going to make Weaver appealing to the masses all of a sudden. Just the fact that you have elements to switch for a completely different set of skills is the tradeoff for weapon swapping. If you add Weapon Swapping into the mix, you add another (insert number) of skills. That in and of itself would make the Weaver more difficult to master, rather than less. Not to mention more expensive to outfit.

Did you actually read the OP or are you just responding to the thread title? The proposal on the table is not to add _actual_ weapon swapping to the Weaver, as in the ability to go from dagger/dagger to staff or something, the proposal is to make _use_ of the currently unused weapon swapping UI/control elements to allow a Weaver to more intentionally swap through the existing element options, allowing him to directly attune either his "mainhand" or his "offhand" skills rather than rely on a passive rotation through them. As I noted, if this specific implementation caused problems, they could achieve the same effect by binding the unused f5 key instead.

>Right now, the appeal of Engineer is that it isn't playable by everyone. It is a difficult class to play, and it takes a special person to play one well.

No, the appeal to Engineer is that it offers a large build variety and interesting skills. Not all Engineer, Scrapper, or Holosmith builds are complicated. Being difficult to play is not an advantage.

> I have to be honest with you, though, when I say that your post sounds more like "I can't play it so make it easier" than it sounds like "There's an issue with the mechanics." I also think that what you're suggesting with a second set of attunement options would actually make it more difficult rather than easier.

There have been a lot of people offering feedback on Weaver that have indicated that the spec is more complicated than they would like, particularly outside the Elementalist-specific forum. And I do believe that this will be easier, since it is more deliberate, you get exactly what you intended each time, rather than having to cycle through two elements to get the offhand skills you intend.

>The other thing that you have to understand is that we have had roughly two weekends and a couple hours to play this profession. We cannot even begin to understand what will be the meta on it, nor do we know exactly how the elemental attunements will actually work once it's released. I would imagine that it will be considerably different playing in Verdant Brink than it will in the Crystal Desert.

Well, the changes I proposed should not significantly impact the "meta" for the class, since the abilities themselves would be the same, it would just make it easier to get at the ones you want. and yes, players haven't had a ton of practice with the class yet, but part of the point of this proposal is to encourage a lower skill curve on it, so that more players can dive in and enjoy it. Players might take a while to fully master all of the class's options, but should not need to take that long to grasp the basic control schemes involved. The best systems are those that take "minutes to learn, a lifetime to master."