Transmutation Charges

So I just got back to game and was immediately impressed with how much the game has improved while I wasn't playing. So much to do, and such a great community (like REALLY great people you meet in game.), but I've yet to figure out what gives Transmutation Charges...

I noticed that map completion gives them, but apart from that? I've been doing events for days and not a single drop of them. When playing a level 80 it's not a problem but as you level up you get to a point where you can't keep your gear the way you designed your look.

While I hope for some good replies about how to get them if events aren't giving them, I got a suggestion on how it could be updated to help leveling players a bit:

* If we are using a skin for an item and we get another item of that kind, allow us to pay some in-game money to immediately skin the item, but also make it soulbound to that character to prevent abuse. This way we can keep our look and help the game with an extra money sink. At level 80 you could possibly even remove this feature, but don't really see an issue with having it.

Transmutation Charges is really only the one thing I have an issue with, I'm very fond of making alts and this is really punishing for people like me :)

They don't drop from mobs or events. You get them from map completion (guaranteed from completing a city, and a good chance at getting them for completing an open world map), certain login rewards, and pvp/wvw reward tracks. You can also buy them on the gem store. Believe me, they are pretty abundant, provided you're doing the right stuff to get them (and I say that as someone who loves changing up my characters' looks pretty often).

As for non-80s and making them look pretty, outfits are actually really good for that, if you find one you like. That way your character will always have the look of the outfit, regardless of how many times they've switched out old gear for newer stuff.

Thanks all, so I can stop grinding events then haha. Outfits is what I'm using right now to get around the issue, but it's not as flexible as one would like. Part of the fun of making a character is putting parts together yourself to create a unique look.

I'm not a PvP player so can't go that route sadly.

To be honest, I would pay a subscription fee simply to get free transmutations lol.

You get one Transmutation Charge for completing each of the Racial City Maps (plus Lion's Arch). That's six in all; enough to change each piece of armor one time. I have a character slot set aside for creation of temporary Transmutation Charge "runners".

At first, I probably averaged 45 minutes per town (some taking longer, some shorter). That time is WAY down now (15-20 minutes) with familiarity and my Springer mount.

SOME non-city maps (not all) give Transmutation Charges, but they take longer since you need to complete Heart Quests and Hero Challenges as well. You can zap out 6 charges in a couple hours just doing Hoelbrak, Rata Sum, Divinity's Reach, The Grove, The Black Citadel, and Lion's Arch. And you don't need to worry about wandering critters slowing you down.

Alternately, if you like some cities and don't like others, you can just do the ones you want, then delete and recreate your Charge Runner character. You can make a challenge of it if that helps. Time yourself and shoot to break your scores.

Good luck!

> @"Hamfast.8719" said:

> You get one Transmutation Charge for completing each of the Racial City Maps (plus Lion's Arch). That's six in all; enough to change each piece of armor one time. I have a character slot set aside for creation of temporary Transmutation Charge "runners".

>

> At first, I probably averaged 45 minutes per town (some taking longer, some shorter). That time is WAY down now (15-20 minutes) with familiarity and my Springer mount.

>

> SOME non-city maps (not all) give Transmutation Charges, but they take longer since you need to complete Heart Quests and Hero Challenges as well. You can zap out 6 charges in a couple hours just doing Hoelbrak, Rata Sum, Divinity's Reach, The Grove, The Black Citadel, and Lion's Arch. And you don't need to worry about wandering critters slowing you down.

>

> Alternately, if you like some cities and don't like others, you can just do the ones you want, then delete and recreate your Charge Runner character. You can make a challenge of it if that helps. Time yourself and shoot to break your scores.

>

> Good luck!

Ahaha, that is brilliant! Silly, but I'll not let that stand in the way :D

> @"saerni.2584" said:

> You also get them from Black Lion chests as a random drop.

>

> You can also buy them directly from the gem store.

Yeah, I do have 23 chests just sitting there waiting for a key to drop.

I will probably end up buying more gems, though I've already been a big spender on things in the game this month so that will have to wait. Transmutation Charges wasn't something I expected to pay for so never paid it any mind.

I absolutely do not have an issue with spending money, but never expected this would have to be one of the things I would have to do it for. As long as I know how it works I can deal with it though, as I said, I don't have an issue paying for my playtime :)

> @"Manasa Devi.7958" said:

> WvW will bury you in the things. Plenty of reward tracks include them and you can also pick one from the skirmish chests.

Yeah so I understood, but I really don't PvP. I prefer to just run around doing whatever, without any stress of having to perform :) I'm not going to hop into PvP and ruin everyone elses time (by sucking) just to get some charges hehe. Not fair to those who really enjoy PvP.

> @"Wintermist.2935" said:

> To be honest, I would pay a subscription fee simply to get free transmutations lol.

Easily done. Buy $/€10 worth of gems each month, spend them on transmutation charges.

600 gems is 25 charges, will you spend more than that in a month? You'll also get a few from completed maps, and 3 from your login chest once per cycle.

> @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > @"Wintermist.2935" said:

> > To be honest, I would pay a subscription fee simply to get free transmutations lol.

>

> Easily done. Buy $/€10 worth of gems each month, spend them on transmutation charges.

> 600 gems is 25 charges, will you spend more than that in a month? You'll also get a few from completed maps, and 3 from your login chest once per cycle.

Oh you bet I would. Like, really, I would probably in a few days ;)

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> You can work on a WvW Reward Track without partaking in any PvP; several WvW Dailies don't require interaction (or seldom interaction) with other players. Such as: Big Spender, Veteran Creature Slayer, Land Claimer, Master of Monuments, etc.

>

> Good luck.

Hmm thanks, I have to look into this. If I don't have to PvP it's definately a good option!

> @"Wintermist.2935" said:

> > @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > > @"Wintermist.2935" said:

> > > To be honest, I would pay a subscription fee simply to get free transmutations lol.

> >

> > Easily done. Buy $/€10 worth of gems each month, spend them on transmutation charges.

> > 600 gems is 25 charges, will you spend more than that in a month? You'll also get a few from completed maps, and 3 from your login chest once per cycle.

>

> Oh you bet I would. Like, really, I would probably in a few days ;)

If you expect to blow through 25 charges in a few days, then I doubt *any* in game aquisition method will keep up with you. Resign yourself to one of two options:

* Blow *loads* of money on charges.

* Restrict your transmuting in some way.

I recommend the latter. "No transmuting until in exotic lvl 80 gear" is a good one.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> Could always just do what i do with my alts and hold of on looks until they are fully leveled. its not the best solution but doing so just..allowed me to build up a hoarde of transmutation stones.

That's what I've always done as well. 1-79 is outfits, 80 gets all exotic gear they need changed, and all shareable gear never uses cultural skins (anymore). With the amount of gear changing you do as you level, it just seemed like a waste to use the wardrobe system outside of back items. I tend to flip flop between power and condi builds a lot while leveling, just to keep it interesting.