New Mesmer needs help plz

Giotto.9413

Greetings one and all -

My main is a Human Ranger, and my Alt is an Ausra Engineer.

I've soloed them to 80! Now I've created an Asura Mesmer for my [TINY] guild, ( Schizo Phranie) with no clue what the frak I'm doing! Seriously! I enjoy soloing/guild stuff and need a PvE Mesmer to build. I've looked at several websites and well, there Mesmer builds appear to be great but, I am investing money in pixels, I would like to be sure/confident in my build if that makes sense?

All of you (to me) appear to be so high and enjoyable with your builds, and I want to be apart of it too. Any help with my Mesmer solo PvE build would be grateful. Otherwise, I promise you. I'll bite your ankles as a [TINY]!

Love and respect you all! Plz, forgive my poor English grammar! I sware English was created by the same man that created dodgeball, yea; let's get the fat kid!

Just about any build will work in PvE. I have multiple world completions and haven't run into a situation where a vanilla Mesmer can't get through.

You will have to work hard sometimes.

Lesson 1: make a plan to escape if things go badly. Don't be afraid to run or hide.

Schizo Phranie? Passed by one of you in Hoelbrak earlier, I think. Ehmry Bay server?

Anyway, I just rolled a Mesmer today (mine's a Norn though, built like a 10' Fabio). Any particular weapon types come recommended? So far Staff and Greatsword are the weapons I'm having most fun with, but fun at level 10 and "good" at level 80 are bound to be different. Any particular things I should unlock first with the hero points? So far I've got the signet that gives me a mini-dash every ten seconds, but I have no idea what to do next.

As an aside, it's my first character and I literally spent two hours out of the five I played today in Hoelbrak looking around at pretty ice statues and watching drunks fighting on a frozen lake.

Both staff and greatsword are good - Staff is more suited to builds that are specced for condition damage so your second weapon set might include torch in off hand, whilst greatsword is more focused on doing direct damage and pairs well with sword and pistol as other weapon set.

For general PvE it is a good idea not to be focused on pure DPS, and instead to add in some vitality and toughness - often it can be good to have some toughness on weapons u will be using in melee range as well, since light armor makes you a bit squishy close in. And note that you don't have to have all the same type of armor, but can mix in items for defence, condition damage, healing etc.

Also shatters are one of mesmers more powerful tools and it is easy to neglect them when starting out under the mistaken apprehension that you don't want to lose your clones.

> @"roqoco.4053" said:

> Also shatters are one of mesmers more powerful tools and it is easy to neglect them when starting out under the mistaken apprehension that you don't want to lose your clones.

Haha yeah, there have been times when I pulled more than I should have and thought that those three clones of mine would best serve as distractions. I'll keep that in mind though, that they're more useful as explosives. Thanks for the tips!

If you play a power build I recommend a set of superior runes of the privateer for soloing. The bird does 1k to 2k dmg every 1,5 seconds and will support your damage pretty well. It also can get all the buffs you provide, imho it's in the top tier runes for power professions.

Sword + focus with GS for power or sword + sword with GS. Sword+ shield if chrono.

* **Fencer's finesse** in dueling if mainly in sword

* **Superiority complex** in dueling is +15% criticals

(People tend to run chrono for power, along with boon sharing or other such things ; Chaotic Persistence / Bountiful Disillusionment in Chaos is used typically so dueling may be dropped)

Staff + scepter or axe (mirage) with torch for condition damage. Staff is more a defensive weapon , but I would categorize it as condi.

* **Chaotic Transference** in the chaos line for more condition damage

* **The Pledge** in Illusions line -- torch bonus

* **Malicious Sorcery** from the illusions line --- scepter bonus

* **Maim the disillusioned** in illusions line

(People tend to run mirage for condi as axe is a condi weapon and Nomad's Endurance is also a condi buff)

Condi is more forgiving statwise as you don't need three stats (power,precision, ferocity), only one or two (condition damage , expertise).