Solo PvE elem survival

ROMANG.1903

I've always been Elementalist main, and I've never really tried others classes in PvE. Elite mobs have always been near-impossible to solo and even certain veterans could get tricky if I messed up a dodge or two or got an unexpected aggro. I thought it was just how the game worked, until I tried with my exo stuffed ranger, and I could solo two elite mobs with more ease than I could solo one with my elementalist, who is full ascended...

After looking at the forum it seems Elementalists are known to be quite weak in solo PvE. My personnal theory is that even though they're able to pull out roughly the same damage as others classes in single-target situations, they have access to mutch more AOE damage and are more efficient in these situations. But should this be balanced by their weak health pool? I'm not sure...

So why not give the elementalist more defensive options? That's the case for every classes, but a new elite skill would be a great update. I think that would be the perfect place for an easy-access, defensive tool. What about a signet which would give a tiny amount of barrier every second? Not too mutch, because it would be permanent, but something like 50 per second (that makes a maximum of 250 if you let the barrier stack for 5 full seconds), would already be a great help.

I don't think the Ele needs more survivability.

I completely agree that Elementalist feels very squishy. Maybe it's because my skill's not the best, but I remember that I would always hesitate before engaging a Veteran, but with a Necro, I can just jump into a swarm of enemies and make it out with pretty much full health.

Personally, I think barriers are not really the solution. With the Weaver spec, we actually get quite a few barrier skills.

I think that Ele is just not really that friendly for solo gameplay in general since I understand that the Ele can deal so much damage in a group scenario. Maybe this is how the Ele is designed, I wouldn't know, but it's a really punishing class that's not meant for new players. I'm sure if we get better at the game, we can tap into more the Ele's arsenal. I know some people that can get away playing Ele with little over 12k HP, so I actually think the Ele don't need more defensive skills. (In fact, I think they have 3 Invulnerability skills)

> @"MasterZi.8056" said:

> I don't think the Ele needs more survivability.

> I completely agree that Elementalist feels very squishy. Maybe it's because my skill's not the best, but I remember that I would always hesitate before engaging a Veteran, but with a Necro, I can just jump into a swarm of enemies and make it out with pretty much full health.

> Personally, I think barriers are not really the solution. With the Weaver spec, we actually get quite a few barrier skills.

> I think that Ele is just not really that friendly for solo gameplay in general since I understand that the Ele can deal so much damage in a group scenario. Maybe this is how the Ele is designed, I wouldn't know, but it's a really punishing class that's not meant for new players. I'm sure if we get better at the game, we can tap into more the Ele's arsenal. I know some people that can get away playing Ele with little over 12k HP, so I actually think the Ele don't need more defensive skills. (In fact, I think they have 3 Invulnerability skills)

A lot of classes have invulnerability skills. We shouldn't be forced to pick them while others can pick DPS options... And it's not a problem about elem being "new-player friendly". When at equal experienced level, there's such a massive difference, I think that's a problem.

> @"MasterZi.8056" said:

> I don't think the Ele needs more survivability.

> I completely agree that Elementalist feels very squishy. Maybe it's because my skill's not the best, but I remember that I would always hesitate before engaging a Veteran, but with a Necro, I can just jump into a swarm of enemies and make it out with pretty much full health.

> Personally, I think barriers are not really the solution. With the Weaver spec, we actually get quite a few barrier skills.

> I think that Ele is just not really that friendly for solo gameplay in general since I understand that the Ele can deal so much damage in a group scenario. Maybe this is how the Ele is designed, I wouldn't know, but it's a really punishing class that's not meant for new players. I'm sure if we get better at the game, we can tap into more the Ele's arsenal. I know some people that can get away playing Ele with little over 12k HP, so I actually think the Ele don't need more defensive skills. (In fact, I think they have 3 Invulnerability skills)

The 3 Invulnerability skill are Fog Form, Arcane Shield and a trait which deploy automatically an Arcane Shield

In Fog Form you can't fight only escape , Arcane Shield absorbs 3 hits and stays for 3-5 seconds or so , the trait does only activate in 1 of 10 cases and has a cooldown of 20 seconds. Most of the barriers give you around 100 - 150 less then 5% of your HP is protected this way.(there is also Feel the Fire which only counters dame to some degree)

I can fight certain elite enemies without problem like in the griffon quest problems are a multiple veteran with undogable damage like in Hot events or boss fights like at the end of the story like S4E1 and E3.

In those cases nothing really helps besides going with a group in it in the story mode you can at least wipe your way through If you equip ascended berserker gear or the exotic soldier gear which ARENA.Net suggest it doesn't matter.

This basic design it something which the mage class of many MMO's follow strong in a group though their damage but weak because of missing HP and toughness. Some games split the damage in magical and physical damage while mages are top on the magic side on the physical thiefs and warriors are top in many cases.

This is also some of the pivot points in the recent balancing discussion about the Ele after the patch Weaver had 38k(40k before) but only with a buggy meteroshower without it it will drop further to around 32- 34k which would make the damage very average also Tempest had 38k damage before PoF came out

> @"DragonSlayer.1087" said:

> Classically speaking, Elementalists are squishy mages that are not "made" to tank. Other mages like the necromancer and mirage survives because of they have clones and minions.

>

> What would help is if they could have a sustainable elemental.

Probably but I think it would be too repetitive with necro and ranger... I think giving them a "barrier boi" option could be both original and helpful. It would help ranged elems with poke damage and melee elems in staying in the fight. The barrier needs to be small if it's permanently regenerating, but it would already be a great improvement. I know there is Stone Resonance already but it needs to be timed perfectly and has a 50 seconds cooldown...

As stated before in this forum, the Earth/Water/Tempest is one of the better tanks in the game. I have used carrion, years ago, as well as Berserker's builds, armor, weapons etc, but found my style of play more suitable to tank, and far more fun. With the high damage builds i found it hard to solo Champions, and the surrounding vet groups. The sustain is not there for me, as i am not good with keyboard functions, and a old point and click player from GW1. (ELE main also in GW 1) The key is what's comfortable to your play style of course and what you enjoy! The tempest Tank has MAJOR Sustain if run properly, I run Leftpaw Ascended with Durability runes, either, Maklain's staff (extra health+6th rune of durabilty +125 health helps!) or Leftpaw Staff. With 1,000 Power I can solo Most Core Champion's and the groups with them, Travel in Hot, Pof , Fight to the time limit with some of the Pof Champions, the build requires most of all PATIENCE! (When Soloing Champs) lol not a lot of damage going on here! However, The term we apply to ele most as we know as Squishy! Does not apply here! If you would prefer signets you can run them with Earth, and keep your passive effects with the GrandMASTER Trait, have Protection with the Armor of Earth Traitline! Damage comes from conditions ( Just Under 1,100 condition damage here) roughly 2-3+k burning a second, 1+k roughly Bleeding, several variants u can try to add a bit more damage. I sometimes use Glyph of Elemental Power for added Condi damage. Trinkets Should have Vitality involved (just under 18k Health Here) Again Different set up than traditional low health Massive AOE damage Ele. "Solo PvE elem survival" is Very Attainable from a good Tank's Perspective, and i am sure from A Highly skilled offensive ele , Weaver, With a Solid Rotation(I wouldn't know, not my skill set, i do not doubt it thoo!). Ele is far from Weak, as PVE Goes, Massive Damage, or Durable Tank, Go All Out to build what is Fun For you, If you Are Going to Solo the Hardest PVE has to offer, Concentrate On 3 or 4 Attributes to Max Out the Build You Prefer.

> @"ROMANG.1903" said:

> So why not give the elementalist more defensive options?

You have all the defensive options you need. There's Arcane Shield (and it's optional automatic trigger from Arcane). There's Focus. There's the incredibly powerful Sandstorm. There are also Water and Earth traitlines. Ele can be extremely resilient if built for it. But that's not really necessary for solo PvE. All you need is to learn to play the class well, then you can be very efficient at soloing stuff in full glass build.

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > @"ROMANG.1903" said:

> > So why not give the elementalist more defensive options?

>

> You have all the defensive options you need. There's Arcane Shield (and it's optional automatic trigger from Arcane). There's Focus. There's the incredibly powerful Sandstorm. There are also Water and Earth traitlines. Ele can be extremely resilient if built for it. But that's not really necessary for solo PvE. All you need is to learn to play the class well, then you can be very efficient at soloing stuff in full glass build.

But where the elementalist needs to be specialized in defensive traits, others classes can run full damage and still have all the sustain they need

> @"ROMANG.1903" said:

> > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > @"ROMANG.1903" said:

> > > So why not give the elementalist more defensive options?

> >

> > You have all the defensive options you need. There's Arcane Shield (and it's optional automatic trigger from Arcane). There's Focus. There's the incredibly powerful Sandstorm. There are also Water and Earth traitlines. Ele can be extremely resilient if built for it. But that's not really necessary for solo PvE. All you need is to learn to play the class well, then you can be very efficient at soloing stuff in full glass build.

>

> But where the elementalist needs to be specialized in defensive traits, others classes can run full damage and still have all the sustain they need

Read the last sentence of the post you just quoted again.

I am not a pro, more a casual gamer. I survive better on my warrior than my ele when I do not pay attention.

However, my warrior is more likely to have trouble surviving pack of hard hitting mobs or champion when he can't outregen or kite those mobs. Using endure pain or shield 5 is less efficient that elementalist tools.

In the same situation, my ele can do it without breaking a sweat (more or less). Our defensive utilities are gold compared to warrior: earth elementals, sandstorm, arcane armor and cantrips...

Some of these utilities can be either offensive or defensive, depending on attunements.

I am currently playing with almost full arcanes including both arcane armors. It is very efficient, but probably not enough against a champion.

The main problem is you can avoid most attacks, but one or two can downed you if you don't. It requires you to play almost perfectly.

On a side note, I have a lot more trouble surviving as a revenant.

Ranger is easy because of pets, so do elementalist with elementals.

Ranger is also not great vs mass mobs, where ele usually shines.