BLTC Chest complaint/suggestion

I’ll agree that it really sucks when the rng rolls against you. Feels satisfying when the rng rolls for you. Imo the current version of the black lion chests seem the best they have ever been. Rotating stock, with exclusive items. Extra tokens to buy other useful things. There are some real issues like repair canisters or 2 week temp captains lounge passes on the loot tables. Those type items are dated and should be removed imo. But over all I buy some keys just about every time the boxes change. Some guildies and I seem to have started a patch day “ wish me luck” tradition. Good clean fun.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > @"Kaas.1304" said:

> > Oh, how about this: don't do anything to Chests, but also Very Rarely add Items exclusive to Chests to regular Gemstore but put them at extra high price. This way, people who like gambling, can try and get those items cheaper through chests/statuettes. And people, who hate RNG or have horrible luck, like myself, can wait for longer and pay some extra gems but avoid chests all together. Add them to chests first, but in few month make them a very short term and extra price Gemstore Items

>

> I think that's already covered by the Statuettes. The exclusive items show up, later, on the Statuette vendors; you can purchase enough Keys (the higher price mentioned above) and acquire the item that way (plus possibly get other items of interest).

You didn't understand fully what I meant. To get anything through Statuettes you still need to spend a lot on keys, and if you are like me, who never gets the desired item when there is rng, you are basically opening chests just for Statuettes - silly and even more expensive, I see Statuettes as a compensation, not a reward or even less the goal. I am suggesting a way for people to avoid chests and buying keys all together, in a way that doesn't hurt other people, who like chests and rng.

You said you wanted the item offered in the Gem Store at an increased price; I'm saying it is already offered at an increased price....through Statuettes, with the added bonus of, perhaps, additional desired items. I understand you would like to acquire the item(s) for less, but since BL Keys can be obtained at no (cash) cost, it probably won't come to pass.

Good luck.

> @"Kaas.1304" said:

>

> You didn't understand fully what I meant. To get anything through Statuettes you still need to spend a lot on keys, and if you are like me, who never gets the desired item when there is rng, you are basically opening chests just for Statuettes - silly and even more expensive, I see Statuettes as a compensation, not a reward or even less the goal. I am suggesting a way for people to avoid chests and buying keys all together, in a way that doesn't hurt other people, who like chests and rng.

Statuettes serve as a way to shift the narrative. Every complaint about the random nature of BLC's and the Keys needed to open them is short-circuited by the existence of Statuettes. Their very existence would allow ANet -- if challenged over gambling -- to point at Statuettes and say, "See. There is a way to get items that players want without depending solely on random number generation." Consideration of gambling evaporates at that point because the random nature of chest drops only does two things: gives random pixel stuff that may or may not be desirable; or gives a player the desired item sooner than they would get it via the "sure" way of collecting the Statuettes. The narrative shifts at that point to be about the cost of attaining the item. Aversion to cost is fine, but no lawmaking body in the free world is going to tell a company it cannot price its products at too high a price for some consumers' tastes.

You are suggesting that ANet put certain items currently gotten via chests as standalone purchases. That is your right as a consumer. However, be careful what you ask for. The only way accepting your suggestion works from a business perspective would be if ANet were to price the standalone item at more than it would cost to get it via Statuette. ANet is not going to be motivated to take less money than the market will bear so some consumers can get what they want, and taking the same amount of money would be a waste of code and space in the TP.

> @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> You are suggesting that ANet put certain items currently gotten via chests as standalone purchases. That is your right as a consumer. However, be careful what you ask for. The only way accepting your suggestion works from a business perspective would be if ANet were to price the standalone item at more than it would cost to get it via Statuette. ANet is not going to be motivated to take less money than the market will bear so some consumers can get what they want, and taking the same amount of money would be a waste of code and space in the TP.

Oh I realize the point about price, that you mention. And I think that more happy customers is never a waste. Those people also will be motivated to purchase again. Or while facing an option "I can try to get it cheaper through RNG and just buy it if I don't get it" more people will be tempted to open chests, others will opt for buying right away. I still think this way will end up generating more revenue for the company.

But all this is just speculation without real data from Anet's side, because every business is different, different approaches work in different environments, and we can keep this discussion going forever with no result.

I guess with the amount of work it takes to keep the game going, they are not going to look into the way to improve smaller parts of the game, like the chests we are talking about here, at least for some indefinite time. Also, enough people do like the way they are right now, and enough people just don't care, that it isn't big enough issue for Anet to spend their time on. They Are busy.

I still don't like that when you get something you don't want (a lot of that stuff is account bound) - you can't even sell it to someone, who wants it, so it sits forever taking space on your account because it has value and it feels bad to just delete it.

I am also not convinced that this system should be left as is.

But everybody is welcome to their opinion. Again, it isn't that someone is wrong or right, without input from Arena we can speculate forever.

Nice talking to you though.

BL Chests are just one of the ways you can choose to financially support ANET and GW2 development, and in my opinion, it's the worst path to take.

I open BL chests with keys I earn from map completion, random drops, or from my weekly key run. Because of this, I don't get too upset at the abysmal results I've seen from BL chests, though I would have been incensed had I spent either in game gold or real world currency to open them.

Opening up a chest and getting T3 crafting mats and a miniature (both of which are cheaply available from the TP) doesn't seem right to me, considering the effort / cost required to obtain keys.

> @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> Opening up a chest and getting T3 crafting mats and a miniature (both of which are cheaply available from the TP) doesn't seem right to me, considering the effort / cost required to obtain keys.

I agree. It doesn't even give you good amount of mats, just a couple. And minis... yeah, but at least you can sell them for something.

If you get a Hair kit (like I have 2 now) but you don't need it, you can't even sell it. It makes you think that it has good value because it costs 250 gems by itself, but if you don't need it, its value becomes 0, worse then a mini, that may cost 10 silver on TP.

What if they made account bound items like Hair kits, Friend tp etc. exchangeable for statuettes? Just 1 to 1 for things like Makeover kits, and 5 to 1 for Friend tp, Repair canisters and so on. Or even less, but something, instead of just deleting all that account bound drop you don't need.

> @"Kaas.1304" said:

> I personally wish drop from chests would be more consistent. I see people who have opened like 3 chests and got some of the rare and super rare items (I play since launch and got a rare thing once ever). But yesterday I opened **11** chests and only got some of the most useless Common items like a lot of cheap dyes, materials and teleport to a friend. I understand that this is an RNG chest. But not even 1 Uncommon thing from 11 chests?! Really?! It has never been SO bad! Wasted a lot of gold for keys.

Very small sample is.. very small sample.

Your 11 chest is in no way close to an indicative SO bad! drop rate.

Go buy a couple of stacks of key then post your results and we can start to pick apart drop rates a little more... you just got a bad drop day.. likely caused by forgetting to run around the garden in your underpants whilst chanting "hail to the RNGeesus"

BTW please do not approach me in game, bad luck is apparently contagious and I have enough of my own already :)

I opened like 5 of those with keys I got in the game from map completion. Is that storm daggers skin really a big deal? I got that in the 4th chest I opened I think.

But yeah with RNG it's pretty normal to have "bad spells" where you get crap for a while. So there's nothing strange going on in that sense. I personally wouldn't invest into those keys myself.

> @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > @"Kaas.1304" said:

> > I personally wish drop from chests would be more consistent. I see people who have opened like 3 chests and got some of the rare and super rare items (I play since launch and got a rare thing once ever). But yesterday I opened **11** chests and only got some of the most useless Common items like a lot of cheap dyes, materials and teleport to a friend. I understand that this is an RNG chest. But not even 1 Uncommon thing from 11 chests?! Really?! It has never been SO bad! Wasted a lot of gold for keys.

>

> Very small sample is.. very small sample.

> Your 11 chest is in no way close to an indicative SO bad! drop rate.

> Go buy a couple of stacks of key then post your results and we can start to pick apart drop rates a little more... you just got a bad drop day.. likely caused by forgetting to run around the garden in your underpants whilst chanting "hail to the RNGeesus"

> BTW please do not approach me in game, bad luck is apparently contagious and I have enough of my own already :)

would 200 be a better indicator?

Cause i opened 200(Over the last two months) and didnt get any super rare items(which im not surprised by, ive never gotten on and ive opened *alot* of chests) i did however get 20 of the cavalier skins(duplicates), 5 Molten Skins, 4 total makeover kits, *numerous* hair style kits, orbs, repair kits etc(i stopped counting), 10 of the currency bags, the storm dagger, at least 25 guranteed wardrobe unlocks, 10 armor unlocks, 7 weapon unlocks, 3 gold black lion keys, 1 glyph of industry, 3 stacks of the 25 statuettes the mini awakaned pack, and the scarab combo pack. I didnt keep track of any of the dyes i had drop for me, but i got enough dye drops to have literally all the gold rarity dyes from the available packs.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > > @"Kaas.1304" said:

> > > I personally wish drop from chests would be more consistent. I see people who have opened like 3 chests and got some of the rare and super rare items (I play since launch and got a rare thing once ever). But yesterday I opened **11** chests and only got some of the most useless Common items like a lot of cheap dyes, materials and teleport to a friend. I understand that this is an RNG chest. But not even 1 Uncommon thing from 11 chests?! Really?! It has never been SO bad! Wasted a lot of gold for keys.

> >

> > Very small sample is.. very small sample.

> > Your 11 chest is in no way close to an indicative SO bad! drop rate.

> > Go buy a couple of stacks of key then post your results and we can start to pick apart drop rates a little more... you just got a bad drop day.. likely caused by forgetting to run around the garden in your underpants whilst chanting "hail to the RNGeesus"

> > BTW please do not approach me in game, bad luck is apparently contagious and I have enough of my own already :)

>

> would 200 be a better indicator?

> Cause i opened 200(Over the last two months) and didnt get any super rare items(which im not surprised by, ive never gotten on and ive opened *alot* of chests) i did however get 20 of the cavalier skins(duplicates), 5 Molten Skins, 4 total makeover kits, *numerous* hair style kits, orbs, repair kits etc(i stopped counting), 10 of the currency bags, the storm dagger, at least 25 guranteed wardrobe unlocks, 10 armor unlocks, 7 weapon unlocks, 3 gold black lion keys, 1 glyph of industry, 3 stacks of the 25 statuettes the mini awakaned pack, and the scarab combo pack. I didnt keep track of any of the dyes i had drop for me, but i got enough dye drops to have literally all the gold rarity dyes from the available packs.

still a small sample but at least you can see your getting a mixed bag of things. Thing with BLC's is that your always guaranteed to get something. If your thinking you only want one thing then invariably BLC are not the way to go about it, better to save the gold and buy from the TP if it is an item you can trade.

> @"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:

> It would be fine if they didn't fluff the boxes with useless crap.

>

> Dye kits. Crafting and Material bags. Toy Mini and Mini Claim tickets. The Commemorative Coin.

>

> I'd be very vexed getting the Glyph of Flight instead of the 25 Statuettes or a node or anything else in the Rare category.

One man's muck is another man's gold. Just because you don't need/want the "fluff" there are others that can make use of it.

TBH if they took all that "fluff" out and fill the loot lists with nodes, glyphs, unlimited use items etc.. players would simply come here and complain that those items are now fluff, with the exception that you can sell some of the new fluff, which defeats the object of them being rare then.

> @"Mosh.9306" said:

> > > lootbox is gambling, same as Magic the Gathering, Pokemon, Yugio and any other collector card, it's all technically gambling

> > To be "technically gambling" depends entirely on the context. In this case, none of those are legally gambling, not according to _existing_ laws. And it's not all that helpful as an argument, because people use the word to mean different things.

>

> It is according to Belgian law. Read my post above. The gaming commission looked into lootboxes in other games and decided its gambling.

Not that I disagree with the overall sentiment..... but law is "law", and nothing else. It is not proof of morality, often times its not even proof of fact. They exist solely to discourage certain behaviors; but the way they are made means there is no intrinsic reasoning or public benefit in a law's existence, its only implied.

Atlanta - Against the law to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole or street lamp.

In Oklahoma, it is against the law to have a sleeping donkey in your bathtub after 7 pm.

In 2007, the Chinese government passed an absurd law, which stated that it’s illegal for the Tibetan monks to reincarnate without the government’s permission.

So its assumed there was an incident that lead that to law, because why would it even need to exist? And even if they are fake, it still sounds dumb enough to be real.

> @"Mosh.9306" said:

> > > lootbox is gambling, same as Magic the Gathering, Pokemon, Yugio and any other collector card, it's all technically gambling

> > To be "technically gambling" depends entirely on the context. In this case, none of those are legally gambling, not according to _existing_ laws. And it's not all that helpful as an argument, because people use the word to mean different things.

>

> It is according to Belgian law. Read my post above. The gaming commission looked into lootboxes in other games and decided its gambling.

Are you sure Belgium made it a blanket "loot boxes are gambling, so against law"??? Pretty sure ANET would not be marketing the game there if it was. ANET's loot boxes and mounts licences are not the kind of predatory practices that other games like SWB got named and shamed for.

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > > > @"Kaas.1304" said:

> > > > I personally wish drop from chests would be more consistent. I see people who have opened like 3 chests and got some of the rare and super rare items (I play since launch and got a rare thing once ever). But yesterday I opened **11** chests and only got some of the most useless Common items like a lot of cheap dyes, materials and teleport to a friend. I understand that this is an RNG chest. But not even 1 Uncommon thing from 11 chests?! Really?! It has never been SO bad! Wasted a lot of gold for keys.

> > >

> > > Very small sample is.. very small sample.

> > > Your 11 chest is in no way close to an indicative SO bad! drop rate.

> > > Go buy a couple of stacks of key then post your results and we can start to pick apart drop rates a little more... you just got a bad drop day.. likely caused by forgetting to run around the garden in your underpants whilst chanting "hail to the RNGeesus"

> > > BTW please do not approach me in game, bad luck is apparently contagious and I have enough of my own already :)

> >

> > would 200 be a better indicator?

> > Cause i opened 200(Over the last two months) and didnt get any super rare items(which im not surprised by, ive never gotten on and ive opened *alot* of chests) i did however get 20 of the cavalier skins(duplicates), 5 Molten Skins, 4 total makeover kits, *numerous* hair style kits, orbs, repair kits etc(i stopped counting), 10 of the currency bags, the storm dagger, at least 25 guranteed wardrobe unlocks, 10 armor unlocks, 7 weapon unlocks, 3 gold black lion keys, 1 glyph of industry, 3 stacks of the 25 statuettes the mini awakaned pack, and the scarab combo pack. I didnt keep track of any of the dyes i had drop for me, but i got enough dye drops to have literally all the gold rarity dyes from the available packs.

>

> still a small sample but at least you can see your getting a mixed bag of things. Thing with BLC's is that your always guaranteed to get something. If your thinking you only want one thing then invariably BLC are not the way to go about it, better to save the gold and buy from the TP if it is an item you can trade.

Yup, and thats why i dont have an issue with them. Sure i might not need the item at the time, but with how fickle i am i with my charactares hair i burn through those hair kits *very* quickly.

I won't complain too much about the BLC's being random - that is there point after all. If I use one, I understand that I might not get a great drop. However, what is somewhat annoying is that most of the stuff is account bound. So I may get a drop that too me is worthless, but other people would value it highly. And likewise, they may get a drop that they consider worthless but I would consider valuable. But we can not in any way trade these items, so we are both stuck with crap we don't really want. So if they could remove account bound, or have some trade in program, I might be a more inclined to use chests - if I get something I can not use, at least I could get some value from it.

However, this would probably reduce their sales in some ways also, which is why Anet has everything account bound. But it does mean that the chance of me getting a random drop from a BLTC of anything remotely valuable to me is really low, so I'm just not inclined to spend anymore on keys.

> @"Kaas.1304" said:

> By what I read, it takes, in general, 40 chests (for some more, for some less) to get the new exclusive skin (it's Uncommon). So if you would spend real money (which is really bad idea) on keys buying 5 for 450 - it will cost $45 US.

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > Cause i opened 200(Over the last two months) and didnt get any super rare items(which im not surprised by, ive never gotten on and ive opened *alot* of chests) i did however get 20 of the cavalier skins(duplicates), 5 Molten Skins, 4 total makeover kits, *numerous* hair style kits, orbs, repair kits etc(i stopped counting), 10 of the currency bags, the storm dagger, at least 25 guranteed wardrobe unlocks, 10 armor unlocks, 7 weapon unlocks, 3 gold black lion keys, 1 glyph of industry, 3 stacks of the 25 statuettes the mini awakaned pack, and the scarab combo pack. I didnt keep track of any of the dyes i had drop for me, but i got enough dye drops to have literally all the gold rarity dyes from the available packs.

>

> still a small sample but at least you can see your getting a mixed bag of things. Thing with BLC's is that your always guaranteed to get something. If your thinking you only want one thing then invariably BLC are not the way to go about it, better to save the gold and buy from the TP if it is an item you can trade.

In my opinion (and it is very subjective, you can think (most likely) completely opposite), so in my opinion: no item in random box in Money Shop (even if you can transfer gold into gems) should cost more that a game itself. If you have to pay on average $45 for an uncommon drop, and more rare items fall much more rarely as demonstrated by Dante.1763, I don't even want to think how much it costs on average to get those more rare items.

It is ok to put a high price on non RNG item in Gem Shop, make it simple and obvious. But for things in a box, ruled by RNG... does not seem right. Especially considering Anet doesn't have prices like that for any single item in open Gem Store. All expensive items are made expensive by their drop rareness, and are hidden in a Chest with no clear indication of possible price or chance. Seems wrong to me.

> @"Kaas.1304" said:

> > @"Kaas.1304" said:

> > By what I read, it takes, in general, 40 chests (for some more, for some less) to get the new exclusive skin (it's Uncommon). So if you would spend real money (which is really bad idea) on keys buying 5 for 450 - it will cost $45 US.

>

> > @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > Cause i opened 200(Over the last two months) and didnt get any super rare items(which im not surprised by, ive never gotten on and ive opened *alot* of chests) i did however get 20 of the cavalier skins(duplicates), 5 Molten Skins, 4 total makeover kits, *numerous* hair style kits, orbs, repair kits etc(i stopped counting), 10 of the currency bags, the storm dagger, at least 25 guranteed wardrobe unlocks, 10 armor unlocks, 7 weapon unlocks, 3 gold black lion keys, 1 glyph of industry, 3 stacks of the 25 statuettes the mini awakaned pack, and the scarab combo pack. I didnt keep track of any of the dyes i had drop for me, but i got enough dye drops to have literally all the gold rarity dyes from the available packs.

> >

> > still a small sample but at least you can see your getting a mixed bag of things. Thing with BLC's is that your always guaranteed to get something. If your thinking you only want one thing then invariably BLC are not the way to go about it, better to save the gold and buy from the TP if it is an item you can trade.

>

> In my opinion (and it is very subjective, you can think (most likely) completely opposite), so in my opinion: no item in random box in Money Shop (even if you can transfer gold into gems) should cost more that a game itself. If you have to pay on average $45 for an uncommon drop, and more rare items fall much more rarely as demonstrated by Dante.1763, I don't even want to think how much it costs on average to get those more rare items.

> It is ok to put a high price on non RNG item in Gem Shop, make it simple and obvious. But for things in a box, ruled by RNG... does not seem right. Especially considering Anet doesn't have prices like that for any single item in open Gem Store. All expensive items are made expensive by their drop rareness, and are hidden in a Chest with no clear indication of possible price or chance. Seems wrong to me.

Supply and demand is all.

Rare items are supposed to be just that.. rare. If you want to buy a rare item with a low drop chance then your going to have to pay the going rates .

ANET don't set a price on the items that come from the BLC and placed on TP, that's led by player supply and player demand.

If you want an idea of the price of an item, either check the TP before your buy keys or check the item on the wiki and it will show its current buy/sell price. ANET do not control it.. we the players do.

> > @"Kaas.1304" said:

> > > @"Kaas.1304" said:

> > > By what I read, it takes, in general, 40 chests (for some more, for some less) to get the new exclusive skin (it's Uncommon). So if you would spend real money (which is really bad idea) on keys buying 5 for 450 - it will cost $45 US.

> >

> > > @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > Cause i opened 200(Over the last two months) and didnt get any super rare items(which im not surprised by, ive never gotten on and ive opened *alot* of chests) i did however get 20 of the cavalier skins(duplicates), 5 Molten Skins, 4 total makeover kits, *numerous* hair style kits, orbs, repair kits etc(i stopped counting), 10 of the currency bags, the storm dagger, at least 25 guranteed wardrobe unlocks, 10 armor unlocks, 7 weapon unlocks, 3 gold black lion keys, 1 glyph of industry, 3 stacks of the 25 statuettes the mini awakaned pack, and the scarab combo pack. I didnt keep track of any of the dyes i had drop for me, but i got enough dye drops to have literally all the gold rarity dyes from the available packs.

> > >

> > > still a small sample but at least you can see your getting a mixed bag of things. Thing with BLC's is that your always guaranteed to get something. If your thinking you only want one thing then invariably BLC are not the way to go about it, better to save the gold and buy from the TP if it is an item you can trade.

> >

> > In my opinion (and it is very subjective, you can think (most likely) completely opposite), so in my opinion: no item in random box in Money Shop (even if you can transfer gold into gems) should cost more that a game itself. If you have to pay on average $45 for an uncommon drop, and more rare items fall much more rarely as demonstrated by Dante.1763, I don't even want to think how much it costs on average to get those more rare items.

> > It is ok to put a high price on non RNG item in Gem Shop, make it simple and obvious. But for things in a box, ruled by RNG... does not seem right. Especially considering Anet doesn't have prices like that for any single item in open Gem Store. All expensive items are made expensive by their drop rareness, and are hidden in a Chest with no clear indication of possible price or chance. Seems wrong to me.

>

> Supply and demand is all.

> Rare items are supposed to be just that.. rare. If you want to buy a rare item with a low drop chance then your going to have to pay the going rates .

> ANET don't set a price on the items that come from the BLC and placed on TP, that's led by player supply and player demand.

> If you want an idea of the price of an item, either check the TP before your buy keys or check the item on the wiki and it will show its current buy/sell price. ANET do not control it.. we the players do.

Yupyup, and thats the thing, those skins i got in the long run will pay off(usually). Goodness the Shadow skins i still have in my bank are already reaching the triple digits and they got pulled out not that long ago, in a few more months theyll be up even higher than that provided they dont get recycled back into availability.

I will say i wish we had an exchange system for items to statuettes cause i now have 245 teleport to friend stones which ill never use.

> Are you sure Belgium made it a blanket "loot boxes are gambling, so against law"??? Pretty sure ANET would not be marketing the game there if it was. ANET's loot boxes and mounts licences are not the kind of predatory practices that other games like SWB got named and shamed for.

It has more to do with minors gambling just google lootboxes and belgian gaming commission or look up my previous post in this thread to see what it is about. They looked in a few popular games and decided that they are a problem (including fifa)

> Atlanta - Against the law to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole or street lamp.

> In Oklahoma, it is against the law to have a sleeping donkey in your bathtub after 7 pm.

> In 2007, the Chinese government passed an absurd law, which stated that it’s illegal for the Tibetan monks to reincarnate without the government’s permission.

LOL

> > @"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:

> > It would be fine if they didn't fluff the boxes with useless crap.

> >

> > Dye kits. Crafting and Material bags. Toy Mini and Mini Claim tickets. The Commemorative Coin.

> >

> > I'd be very vexed getting the Glyph of Flight instead of the 25 Statuettes or a node or anything else in the Rare category.

>

> One man's muck is another man's gold. Just because you don't need/want the "fluff" there are others that can make use of it.

>

> TBH if they took all that "fluff" out and fill the loot lists with nodes, glyphs, unlimited use items etc.. players would simply come here and complain that those items are now fluff, with the exception that you can sell some of the new fluff, which defeats the object of them being rare then.

Its not the same thing. All those items I consider fluff can be gotten easily in PvE and the minis are redundant and can be consolidated. I never said I didn't want or need the stuff so stop assuming the worse of intentions from people.