Native Controller Support

I know this topic probably gets brought up quite often but one of the reasons I stopped playing GW2 was because it doesn't have controller support built into to the game. Yes, I know that programs like XPadder enables this but it still doesn't feel "complete" especially after playing games like FFXIV which lets players do **everything** flawlessly (Open, menus, fight, etc) with a controller if needed while the programs feel clunky.

This is one of the reasons I stopped playing GW2 although it is a fantastic game. I've been wanting to get back into it but I just can't get into the whole keyboard thing. I've always felt that GW2 would be great with a controller too with it being somewhat of an action MMORPG. And I know that it can be done...there aren't THAT many keys that need to be mapped and if there is a class that does have a lot of commands, there can be a hotbar toggle key. I swap through 3-4 hotbars in FFXIV with the touch of a button with no issues.

I've been gone for a while has Arena Net spoken about this at all? It seems like something a lot of people request.

How do the number of skills ans use compare in FF14 to GW2?

Wasn't Ff14 designed with controllers in mind in the first place?

I think it'd be quite difficult to add controller support to gw2 that's still balanced with keyboard play. as icurrently keyboard users are at an advantage and I don't see a way of changing that.

There would be complaints from people if they added controller support that wasn't balanced/"equal".

Mind xpadder works excellently. And I'd think an xbox One + chatpad would make it almost flawless.

> @"DeanBB.4268" said:

> I don't remember anything.

>

> But how different would built-in controller support be from XPadder? In the end, once configured, what's the difference?

I would guess.. the option for more circular menus? Idk.

My only wish is that controllers came with more buttons

..or well that the xbox elite controller was cheaper.

Sabrent makes a 6-button PC controller, which helps. In my days of console video games, there were only 2-buttons, and I was never able to get comfortable using a controller with so many buttons and joysticks. Old dog, new tricks and all that.

Google "sabrent controller" and you should easily find what I'm talking about.

> @"DeanBB.4268" said:

> I don't remember anything.

>

> But how different would built-in controller support be from XPadder? In the end, once configured, what's the difference?

Unless I'm just configuring it wrong...The Xpadder only configures the sticks to the cursor which is a pain in the ass for combat because while the left stick moves your character, the right stick only moves the mouse cursor and not the camera. The cursor is also a pain to use in the menus as well as it's either too slow or too fast. On top of that, the left and right click buttons feel odd when mapped to the stick clicks (pushing the sticks in -- I'm using the Xbox 360 controller btw) I can't for the life of me figure out how to make the A button the confirm button but also use it for other functions as well. If I make it confirm, then it's strictly the confirm button for the duration of the game whereas in other games, that key does different things when different menus are open.

@"Taygus.4571" said:

>

> Wasn't Ff14 designed with controllers in mind in the first place?

FFXIV was a PC exclusive when it first came out until it was re-released later on with the PS4 in mind. But many people still use a keyboard now. It's just nice to have the option.

I feel like if there was built in support, maybe there would be more options for the developers to actually make a system that works a lot better with a controller. I mean...if anyone has or knows someone with a functional XPadder setup, I'd be open to use it and I could be setting it up entirely wrong. But it just feels like a way to get the most basic usage out of a controller for games that don't allow it.