Achievement leaderboard

> @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > The most likely change that ANet would make to the leaderboard would be to disable it. It's the cheapest possible approach. Any other update would require deciding what they want the leaderboard to do, planning for its evolution, coding, testing, implementing, & maintaining the new board. All those costs for... almost no benefit to the majority of players who don't care about or don't want a leaderboard.

> Sadly they would probably rather delete it than improve it in any way. Just like 80%+ of the rest of the game.

>

TBH, they probably should do that to a lot of systems that have just been gathering issues from their changes of direction over the years.

WvW is getting a reset of sorts, which is nice. AP could see that as well. A overall pass that removes "historical" AP, and reworks the amounts so that its fair for new players.

Being a old player, although i don't have as many season 1 points, i do have a fair amount of festival points, but i wouldn't mind losing those either.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" your logic is allways the same, and by that logic, the game would never get fixes, and would keep all bugs forever, because most people always care more about new content than old content. Who cares if x amount of players can't play the latest living world? As long as 10x have, and keep playing and enjoy whatever gets released after right?

Of course that approach has a downside, no renewal of the player base, eventually the old players alone can't sustain the games.

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > The most likely change that ANet would make to the leaderboard would be to disable it. It's the cheapest possible approach. Any other update would require deciding what they want the leaderboard to do, planning for its evolution, coding, testing, implementing, & maintaining the new board. All those costs for... almost no benefit to the majority of players who don't care about or don't want a leaderboard.

> > Sadly they would probably rather delete it than improve it in any way. Just like 80%+ of the rest of the game.

> >

>

> TBH, they probably should do that to a lot of systems that have just been gathering issues from their changes of direction over the years.

> WvW is getting a reset of sorts, which is nice. AP could see that as well. A overall pass that removes "historical" AP, and reworks the amounts so that its fair for new players.

> Being a old player, although i don't have as many season 1 points, i do have a fair amount of festival points, but i wouldn't mind losing those either.

>

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" your logic is allways the same, and by that logic, the game would never get fixes, and would keep all bugs forever, because most people always care more about new content than old content. Who cares if x amount of players can't play the latest living world? As long as 10x have, and keep playing and enjoy whatever gets released after right?

> Of course that approach has a downside, no renewal of the player base, eventually the old players alone can't sustain the games.

Resetting AP (or removing the historical ones) would kill the motivations of all AP hunters who treats this as endgame and many people do since there has been no vertical progression in terms of gear since 2013. The only thing Anet can do is to bring back those historical APs for those who've missed it to make it fair for everyone instead of removing the said APs but that's a HUGE ask since we're talking about LWS1 here.

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > The most likely change that ANet would make to the leaderboard would be to disable it. It's the cheapest possible approach. Any other update would require deciding what they want the leaderboard to do, planning for its evolution, coding, testing, implementing, & maintaining the new board. All those costs for... almost no benefit to the majority of players who don't care about or don't want a leaderboard.

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" your logic is allways the same, and by that logic, the game would never get fixes, and would keep all bugs forever, because most people always care more about new content than old content. Who cares if x amount of players can't play the latest living world? As long as 10x have, and keep playing and enjoy whatever gets released after right?

No, that's nothing close to what I'm saying. It's not because it's old; it's because it's not that interesting to all that many people. Under that scenario, the most cost-effective way of dealing with a fundamental problem would be to remove it. And, as it turns out, the OP isn't describing a fundamental issue, just a preference for the leaderboard to do something it wasn't originally designed to do. Thus: it's unlikely that ANet's going to do anything with the LB (since it isn't broken); they'll focus on something else.

I'm not at all against fixing bugs. I just acknowledge that there will always be more bugs than any studio can possibly fix, as well as more new things that we want (all of us, many, some) than any studio could possibly ever implement. That fundamental truth of development means making choices. Since both veterans and new players enjoy new content, and many veterans lack interest in some older content, it's common for newer things to get prioritized over old.

That doesn't mean it's never appropriate to address old content/rewards/UI/etc. It just means it's less likely.

> Of course that approach has a downside, no renewal of the player base, eventually the old players alone can't sustain the games.

Then it's a good thing that that isn't ANet's approach. And it's also among the reasons I wouldn't say that things shouldn't be fixed.