Closing my account

> @"starhunter.6015" said:

> Once a account is closed, its gone permanently from what I understand. So would imagine that the name would be removed from all friends and followers. Though once closed you can not get it back.

>

That's actually not true.... DELETING an account gets rid of it permanently. If you close an account you can actually reopen it later. Please check your facts before responding to posts.

I don't know if the name would be removed from lists, or not. As stated by the CS Team, changing a Display Name breaks Friends Lists, etc. and keeps showing up for years afterward.

Your best bet is to contact the CS Team and ask.

Also, deleting your game doesn't close your account. Only the CS Team can close an account and delete the data, and therefor make it unusable any time in the future.

Well, if you want to get technical then....

You cannot close a GW2 account. You can log out and close the application, but that doesn't close the account down. You can just delete it with the help of support. There is not monthly fee for GW2, so that would be the only thing close to closing an account, by having it deleted.

So what exactly are you looking to do?

Lol. Close...Delete...doesn't matter; only the CS team can remove all data from their data banks and render an account unable to be accessed, permanently.

Again, though, considering the issues with Display Names, it would be best to ask, _specifically_, whether having your account information removed will guarantee your Display Name won't show up in-game ever again.

Also, OP, no one can see your Account Name (email address associated with your account), ever; but, I am guessing you mean Display Name.

For those of you who say you can't close your GW2 account please DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! You can close it... you can also delete it. They are two separate things and have different effects.... See the link below....

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000712327-I-Want-to-Close-My-ArenaNet-Account

PLEASE check your facts before answering a question here. What i want to know is if one CLOSES their account will friends lists, etc stay intact???

Again, to be sure, you would have to contact the CS Team. If they aren't removing any information from the databases, one would expect that information to still be in-game.

And, to be fair, those are new additions to the Knowledge Base; the CS Team members that posted here before never really made a distinction.

If you would prefer to avoid laymen responses, your best bet is to contact the professionals, only.

Good luck.

> @"Juno.5761" said:

> For those of you who say you can't close your GW2 account please DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! You can close it... you can also delete it. They are two separate things and have different effects.... See the link below....

> https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000712327-I-Want-to-Close-My-ArenaNet-Account

> PLEASE check your facts before answering a question here. What i want to know is if one CLOSES their account will friends lists, etc stay intact???

What people meant is that the player cannot take any action on their own which results in closing the account, let alone deleting it. Both actions require making a formal request through customer service.

If you read that article, then you will see that closing means only the following:

* Removing your game access.

* Updating your login credentials to prevent you (or anyone) from accessing the account.

* Removing your email from our official mailing lists.

> @"Juno.5761" said:

> If I close my ANet account can people on my friends list, blocked list and followers still see my account name???

Yes, yes, & yes.

"Closing" means removing access to your account. It doesn't do anything else.