The Next Elite Spec; What Is Engineer Missing?

rrusse.7058

The Engineer has a decent array of skills, abilities and builds and I've been wondering what is missing from the Engineer's capabilities. Rather than try and propose what the next elite spec should be based off of a concept of what seems cool, I wanted to think about it in terms of how Arenanet goes about designing elite specializations. By going off of what a profession is lacking and how it would benefit the profession as a whole.

Personally I feel the profession lacks a dedicated support/team role that can be used effectively in WvW and raids specifically. There are DPS and tanking options, but I feel there is some room for improvement in the area I mentioned.

Where does the rest of the Engineer playing community stand though? I'm interested in hearing what others feel the profession needs or would like to see.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This won't be a fun answer, but I personally hope they don't develop another e-spec and use the energy to revamp core specs. There are tons for fun builds, across all professions, that the core game had that are just unplayable now. Let's get some remediation and build diversity before we expand again.

Answering your question would be easier if Scrapper had a defined niche. As it stands it's one of the weakest if not the weakest overall elite spec and most of the reason why it is like that comes in the form of not having a set identity outside trying to mimic a "tank" in a game where tanking has little value outside very specific scenarios.

Their class mechanic (gyros in general) serve no meaningful purpose too, imo.

> @"rrusse.7058" said:

> Personally I feel the profession lacks a dedicated support/team role that can be used effectively in WvW and raids specifically. There are DPS and tanking options, but I feel there is some room for improvement in the area I mentioned

Minstrels Support scrapper is one of the most common engineer builds in WvW zergs currently and it's very good. Even if it's not good in raids I don't think we need a second support style build considering the lack in other areas, like reliable long range damage.

Holo is simplified burst melee, core engineer can do melee/mid range dmg well with both condi and power, scrapper is tanky and supplements core support traits to make a good healing/tank build (even though the rest of scrapper is trash mostly).

Engineer is definitively missing a few things:

* Reliable, non-projectile ranged damage (not just orbital strike).

* AoE buffs beyond pinpoint precision (IE Shouts)

* Boon strips beyond throw mine.

* Passive buffs (IE Signets)

* "Cone" attacks besides blunderbuss.

* An elite gadget and elite turret

* Any attacks or utilities that teleport

All of the other potential builds can be played if you know what you're doing, but these particular aspects are missing.

From this, I can actually picture a "Soundsmith" or "Sonic Striker" or similar archetype of engineer that uses sound as a weapon.

> @"Vagrant.7206" said:

> Engineer is definitively missing a few things:

>

> * Reliable, non-projectile ranged damage (not just orbital strike).

> * AoE buffs beyond pinpoint precision (IE Shouts)

> * Boon strips beyond throw mine.

> * Passive buffs (IE Signets)

> * "Cone" attacks besides blunderbuss.

> * An elite gadget and elite turret

>

> All of the other potential builds can be played if you know what you're doing, but these particular aspects are missing.

>

> From this, I can actually picture a "Soundsmith" or "Sonic Striker" or similar archetype of engineer that uses sound as a weapon.

supply crate is the elite turret skill

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > @"Vagrant.7206" said:

> > Engineer is definitively missing a few things:

> >

> > * Reliable, non-projectile ranged damage (not just orbital strike).

> > * AoE buffs beyond pinpoint precision (IE Shouts)

> > * Boon strips beyond throw mine.

> > * Passive buffs (IE Signets)

> > * "Cone" attacks besides blunderbuss.

> > * An elite gadget and elite turret

> >

> > All of the other potential builds can be played if you know what you're doing, but these particular aspects are missing.

> >

> > From this, I can actually picture a "Soundsmith" or "Sonic Striker" or similar archetype of engineer that uses sound as a weapon.

>

> supply crate is the elite turret skill

I'm aware. It's also not an elite turret.

> @"Vagrant.7206" said:

> Engineer is definitively missing a few things:

>

> * Reliable, non-projectile ranged damage (not just orbital strike).

> * AoE buffs beyond pinpoint precision (IE Shouts)

> * Boon strips beyond throw mine.

> * Passive buffs (IE Signets)

> * "Cone" attacks besides blunderbuss.

> * An elite gadget and elite turret

>

> All of the other potential builds can be played if you know what you're doing, but these particular aspects are missing.

>

> From this, I can actually picture a "Soundsmith" or "Sonic Striker" or similar archetype of engineer that uses sound as a weapon.

That's pretty interesting to think about. In particular I am interested in mention of Engineer lacking AoE buffs and not having a good way to strip boons. Perhaps there is some room for some sort of Saboteur? Maybe the next spec doesn't have to go the route of being a support based spec and it could be one that tries to punish enemies and reward players with correct positioning and attacking while also granting those benefits to allies?

I keep imagining something like the Spellbreaker, but does more than just cast a bubble and run back out again. The theme of a sound based profession could work too as it still fits in lore with the dredge and even Scarlet and her machinations.

I'd like a long range nuker elite spec. Longbow with laser abilities. Huge laser attack that is a large destructive AOE. Multiple thin lasers zig zagging or curving in the air to hit foes. Launching a bomb and detonating it high in the air to shower an area with laser bombardments.

I am honestly really happy with engi, the one thing lacking was reliable stab and I feel last update helped with this issue. Core engi lacks sustain and still very weak to ranged attacks. The melee damage could use some help, maybe make tool kit the melee kit and give it some much needed damage.

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > @"Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365" said:

> > Thematically I rly want the devs to explore explosives and rockets on engie more.

>

> i don't really see how you can expand explosives on engi seeing how explosives make up a large part of core engi

i guess the core part of engie consists of alot of explosives but i defo think theres alot of explore in terms of niches. I also think tis a very fitting theme for engie

> @"Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365" said:

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > @"Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365" said:

> > > Thematically I rly want the devs to explore explosives and rockets on engie more.

> >

> > i don't really see how you can expand explosives on engi seeing how explosives make up a large part of core engi

>

> i guess the core part of engie consists of alot of explosives but i defo think theres alot of explore in terms of niches. I also think tis a very fitting theme for engie

my question was what those niches are

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > @"Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365" said:

> > > > Thematically I rly want the devs to explore explosives and rockets on engie more.

> > >

> > > i don't really see how you can expand explosives on engi seeing how explosives make up a large part of core engi

> >

> > i guess the core part of engie consists of alot of explosives but i defo think theres alot of explore in terms of niches. I also think tis a very fitting theme for engie

>

> my question was what those niches are

Anything that can fit in an elite spec? I really dont see where it doesnt fit in.

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > @"Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365" said:

> > > > > Thematically I rly want the devs to explore explosives and rockets on engie more.

> > > >

> > > > i don't really see how you can expand explosives on engi seeing how explosives make up a large part of core engi

> > >

> > > i guess the core part of engie consists of alot of explosives but i defo think theres alot of explore in terms of niches. I also think tis a very fitting theme for engie

> >

> > my question was what those niches are

>

> Anything that can fit in an elite spec? I really dont see where it doesnt fit in.

M8, i'm not saying that it doesn't fit, i'm asking what "it" is. Because i can't come up with an explosive theme that's strong enough to carry an elite spec and isn't core explosives.

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > @"Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365" said:

> > > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > > @"Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365" said:

> > > > > > Thematically I rly want the devs to explore explosives and rockets on engie more.

> > > > >

> > > > > i don't really see how you can expand explosives on engi seeing how explosives make up a large part of core engi

> > > >

> > > > i guess the core part of engie consists of alot of explosives but i defo think theres alot of explore in terms of niches. I also think tis a very fitting theme for engie

> > >

> > > my question was what those niches are

> >

> > Anything that can fit in an elite spec? I really dont see where it doesnt fit in.

>

> M8, i'm not saying that it doesn't fit, i'm asking what "it" is. Because i can't come up with an explosive theme that's strong enough to carry an elite spec and isn't core explosives.

I feel like its a matter of taste.. and imagination. Maybe the reason you can't come up with something with an explosives theme is because you dont want to? Explosives bow spec, explosive staff spec. Maybe the reason why I cna come up with ideas for explosive specs is because I realy want one? Hmm. I really do wanna hear what kind of e-spec you want tho, that isnt explovies

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > @"Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365" said:

> > > > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > > > @"Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365" said:

> > > > > > > Thematically I rly want the devs to explore explosives and rockets on engie more.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > i don't really see how you can expand explosives on engi seeing how explosives make up a large part of core engi

> > > > >

> > > > > i guess the core part of engie consists of alot of explosives but i defo think theres alot of explore in terms of niches. I also think tis a very fitting theme for engie

> > > >

> > > > my question was what those niches are

> > >

> > > Anything that can fit in an elite spec? I really dont see where it doesnt fit in.

> >

> > M8, i'm not saying that it doesn't fit, i'm asking what "it" is. Because i can't come up with an explosive theme that's strong enough to carry an elite spec and isn't core explosives.

>

> I feel like its a matter of taste.. and imagination. Maybe the reason you can't come up with something with an explosives theme is because you dont want to? Explosives bow spec, explosive staff spec. Maybe the reason why I cna come up with ideas for explosive specs is because I realy want one? Hmm. I really do wanna hear what kind of e-spec you want tho, that isnt explovies

Explosive bow/staff isn't a new theme, that's the same theme on a new weapon.

A few suggestions i've heard with potential was technomancer and sound engineer

> Non Projectile AoE

Bomb kit?

> boon strip

Throw mine has boon strip and it isn't used that often, the tool kit ability throws out 5 and can be remotely detonated. The regular ability also has a blast finisher and knock back, great fun for knocking people off keep walls. Has great range and can be thrown on top of them I found with much enjoyment. It is also really fun to mess with zergs, hardly a game changing ability though. Boon corrupt is really strong as is winds, it stops new boons (aegis which also heals when traited) and projectiles, the boon strip isn't what makes those abilities great.

Net, rifle and rocket turrets need updated. I would love a portal ability that lets me summon my turrets similar to ritualist ability. A portal gun or mode similar to holo forge would be awesome. I really enjoyed ritualist weapon skills, skill that make allies weapons look really cool and get new abilities or possibly our own rifle go full auto like a gatling gun.