shortbow/shortbow condi daredevil: would it work?

bara yaoi.3824

> @"Flarre.4850" said:

> Shortbow is an utility tool you will be roflstomped by any player with common sense.

> And why sb/sb?

> Try sb/s-d or p-d but only sb is weird.

> Even in pve i can t see sb/sb working.

i tried sb/sb with horrible gear in open world and in a random dungeon

it actually did a lot of damage surprisingly and melted things in open world

in the dungeon it still melted things

though i guess the trade off is that it is less single target focused so it has less stacks of conditions to apply compared to dagger

> @"bara yaoi.3824" said:

> > @"Flarre.4850" said:

> > Shortbow is an utility tool you will be roflstomped by any player with common sense.

> > And why sb/sb?

> > Try sb/s-d or p-d but only sb is weird.

> > Even in pve i can t see sb/sb working.

>

> i tried sb/sb with horrible gear in open world and in a random dungeon

>

> it actually did a lot of damage surprisingly and melted things in open world

>

> in the dungeon it still melted things

>

> though i guess the trade off is that it is less single target focused so it has less stacks of conditions to apply compared to dagger

In open world you can use whatever you want it will work ?

LOL hey, that’s me in the video!

Double shortbow can definitely seem strange to run, but as you experienced, can deal surprising damage.

You’ll definitely be fine in open world (anything is ?). It’s a safe/easy setup if you want to relax in wvw (most players don’t get out of the fields until it’s too late). Just be prepared for some disgruntled players and siege if you die haha.

The downside is you have no access to stealth to break targeting, but shortbow 3 and daredevil dodges give you plenty of evades anyway. Plus, shortbow 3 lets you evade while immobilized! :)

> @"kuteykathy.8123" said:

> LOL hey, that’s me in the video!

>

> Double shortbow can definitely seem strange to run, but as you experienced, can deal surprising damage.

>

> You’ll definitely be fine in open world (anything is ?). It’s a safe/easy setup if you want to relax in wvw (most players don’t get out of the fields until it’s too late). Just be prepared for some disgruntled players and siege if you die haha.

>

> The downside is you have no access to stealth to break targeting, but shortbow 3 and daredevil dodges give you plenty of evades anyway. Plus, shortbow 3 lets you evade while immobilized! :)

ty, it seems like shortbow is very underrated as a damage weapon rather than just being pure utility like many might first think it is

> > @"Flarre.4850" said:

> > Shortbow is an utility tool you will be roflstomped by any player with common sense.

> > And why sb/sb?

> > Try sb/s-d or p-d but only sb is weird.

> > Even in pve i can t see sb/sb working.

>

> i tried sb/sb with horrible gear in open world and in a random dungeon

>

> it actually did a lot of damage surprisingly and melted things in open world

>

> in the dungeon it still melted things

>

> though i guess the trade off is that it is less single target focused so it has less stacks of conditions to apply compared to dagger

Flarre is mostly refwrring to competitive modes were thiefs are most prominent.

From your statement above i can deduce that you are PvE player so id say it works very well.

Even hybrid stats could work well.

You have high amounts of AoE and good CC and dmg. Slap on some nice utilities for survival and you will be good for any open PvE content.

> basically, combination of soulbeast shortbow/shortbow with standard condi daredevil build

>

> would this work?

>

> since shortbow has spammable aoe bleed and spammable aoe poison

>

> and the auto attack gets +25% damage when an enemy is poisoned

yes with 2x energy sigil and lotus training and stamina sigil is nice also but only works if ur in blob winning the fights.

u basically interupt constantly and every dead restores 2 bars of stamina switching bows restore stamina etc balaba.

i did it was fun for 1hour deleted the whole toon ;p (that was in WvW tho.)

Try running the needle trap on heal and impairing daggers on full trailblazer with DA 321 trickery 133 DD 322 and a draining sigil on shortbow and torment on interrupt. You don't really need stealth, I run shortbow P/D when I play that and I sit on shortbow 90% of the time just immobing people in choking gas, and it is the easiest build to take T3 camps with once draining sigil starts healing you for 5k a second. Same thing works on viper/carrion with thorns rune to keep the poison duration up, it's way squishier so you're better off with D/P offhand and the poison on dagger trait over the heal trap but lets you take pulmonary impact, which gets silly pretty quickly. I'm pretty sure there's a grieving stat deadeye build possible with this sort of build, just haven't fine tuned it yet.

> @"InsaneQR.7412" said:

> i can deduce that you are PvE player so id say it works very well.

For tagging and moving around but skills like cluster bomb seem to be extreamly poorly thought-out as it requires you to jump into the enemy group and immediately explode it in their face if you want it to be "effective". The skill would probably work just fine if detonate cluster would be turned into an after explotion which accrues after the initial one but I'd rather use a staff for AoE untill the SB gets a proper rework (which of course is never going to happen because A-Net doesn't care about fixing broken stuff if there isn't a sufficient amount of public outrage behind it).

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> > @"InsaneQR.7412" said:

> > i can deduce that you are PvE player so id say it works very well.

> For tagging and moving around but skills like cluster bomb seem to be extreamly poorly thought-out as it requires you to jump into the enemy group and immediately explode it in their face if you want it to be "effective". The skill would probably work just fine if detonate cluster would be turned into an after explotion which accrues after the initial one but I'd rather use a staff for AoE untill the SB gets a proper rework (which of course is never going to happen because A-Net doesn't care about fixing broken stuff if there isn't a sufficient amount of public outrage behind it).

For dmg you use mainly poisoncloud.

Cluster bomb is really more for tagging.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually run sb/sb thief to great affect actually, here is the build i run for WvW-

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZIQJAVVn8lClOhFOBemCkmiFYCbOEWCThefhF1SQLBEAKAA-j1xHQBhTXAAuEAub/BKqEMgK/UkqOx7JAqFEAABYmzMZOzAzcmzcmzcmVmzcmzcmzcmzcmzsUAVpTD-w

(i run the health per second +endurance regen food, but the builder doesn't have it) anyone nay-saying just hasn't actually given it a try, with the mobility and resource regen you're getting coupled with the high sustain that you gain passively from interrupts, stealing, dodges and food, it is highly viable for WvW/PVE. However in pve you could just run full glass with viper and a few different things like venoms/pulmonary impact. The build will easily trivialize anything in pve that doesnt have a break bar as it just locks into a back-to-back interrupt with choking gas (queen's gauntlet anyone?). As for WvW, you have burst and sustained application of conditions to whittle down the enemy, running two shortbows means you always have the ability to chose if kiting or sticking to the target is needed, and the skills on the shortbow will help you do both. The key is to spike every choking gas you fire with a whirl finisher from your dodge. Being that you're dealing AoE damage this build will let you contest 1vX situations, it's possible to win outnumbered if the mobility is used intelligently. Plus dropping gas on a down will deny ressing them completely, and any interrupts from the person down or the person trying to res further enhances your sustain vs a group. Also the gas is unblockable, meaning with skilled use, gaurdians and warriors will eventually fall to you as well. However with recent patches there are some weaknesses. Deadeye is somewhat a counter to you if they are anywhere decent at the class,high stealth in general is to you with this build, as they get to pick the fight, thankfully you can outrun them, but fighting them usually is too much hassle. Something to note though is that your poison bolts and daggers on your dodge will follow a target into stealth, so you can fight them with some practice, using that to find them. A good warrior if your dodges arn't perfect will easily end you, and anything that can interrupt your gas or constantly apply immobilize puts you at risk, as all damage mitigation is in dodge, you have no stealth outside the occasional stolen skill. That considered though, with the crazy amount of mobility very few engagements i find myself in are an issue, as you have all the tools to pick how to fight. If you're interested more on how to fight with it, you can add me or shoot a message in game.

If youre talking about PvE I dont see how thief SB is even close to being as good as Ranger SB. Ranger SB has pierce in _all skills_ and focuses on a single dmg type: condition. It also functions in a way youd think thief SB should that is deal extra dmg while flanking the enemy, or another way of thinking about it is restrictive in a way that is thematically suited to thief. It has pets which makes it even easier to flank too.

I think thief SB could be changed in a few ways to make it more viable: either change the auto attack into a condition dmg attack (maybe swapping it with the pistols auto) making the weapon primarily do condition dmg. Or remain hybrid dmg but with improved power scaling so it can take advantage of grieving gear. Possibly change a few traits to allow it to max out duration without much expertise.

Let me paint a picture of how the build operates then in a pve situation, you throw down a choking gas on a target(s), it is unblock-able and hits up to five targets, per choking gas you throw down. You then roll through this field with your whirl finisher on your impaling lotus dodge, this further spikes everything inside with a bleed field on caltrops, poison bolts from the whirl, and bleed and torment from the daggers thrown from lotus, venoms would be run as well, further spiking the damage. Ontop of all that, once the target(s) inside get to 5 poison stacks they will interrupt on every single action they perform most of the time, as the choking gas pulses a 1/2s daze every second **PER** gas field, pretty much ensuring permanent cc and daze during up-time. When the target interrupts they will trigger pulmonary impact, taking a spike of physical damage every time, and also proc pressure striking, adding two stacks of torment every time too. Versus a monster witha break bar it will shred the bar quickly with how much the daze "dps" is hitting it, and since breakbar enemies trigger interupt effects, still get pulmonary and pressure strike stacking on them. All the while you are dodging and healing with every single interrupt. Between swap skills and traits you get a ton of resources back too, so up-time is pretty high. I do agree with wanting the auto to apply a condi, that would be cool, however sb on ranger cant touch this. The build for PvE would be more like this, though running tanky in pve is fine too, cept maybe a raid.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZIQJAVVn8lCNPhFNBeNB0PhFYCz7LsoWCa/pAQBYuDeCThA-jxxHQBzT9nMqEMePBgPs/AAuEAjTXwAV+lZIAYRBsqSVVVJFAMLrA-e

> basically, combination of soulbeast shortbow/shortbow with standard condi daredevil build

>

> would this work?

>

> since shortbow has spammable aoe bleed and spammable aoe poison

>

> and the auto attack gets +25% damage when an enemy is poisoned

I tried SB using Power-based DE/CS/Trick in open world PvE traited with DE mid-traits (collateral+payback+BQ) -- Malicious Super Shot is Epic.

It is the best AoE weapon set.

However, I have not tried condition build since it is counterproductive to the stealth attack.

> @"SoulSin.5682" said:

> Once upon a time I meet a guy using this build using a Skale Venon Consumable + Primer for permanent Weakness application.

>

> Talk about being cheap.

heh, that was me then im 99% sure, only person i knew that was willing to run it and i ran it with a primer, and only run my utility and food with primers, cause i use the expensive stuff. Sadly anet ninja'd it out of WvW, so it is officially a useless item, as that was the only place it was worth using

Was it a charr? I run around as a charr thief.

> @"Fruity Kitty.3160" said:

> > @"SoulSin.5682" said:

> > Once upon a time I meet a guy using this build using a Skale Venon Consumable + Primer for permanent Weakness application.

> >

> > Talk about being cheap.

>

> heh, that was me then im 99% sure, only person i knew that was willing to run it and i ran it with a primer, and only run my utility and food with primers, cause i use the expensive stuff. Sadly anet ninja'd it out of WvW, so it is officially a useless item, as that was the only place it was worth using

> Was it a charr? I run around as a charr thief.

Yup Charr Thief, that was probably you.

That said, I don't know if I am sad or happy that it got removed. That was, without a shadow of doubt, the most broken condi build I ever saw on WvW for Thieves. The unerfed S/D Condi build was a joke compared to that weakness spam application.

> @"Vornollo.5182" said:

> > @"Fruity Kitty.3160" said:

> > (i run the health per second +endurance regen food, but the builder doesn't have it)

> Little off-topic, but what is it..? I've been trying to find it, but no luck yet lol.

> Looks really interesting to me and I'd like to try it :)

[Holographic Supercake](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Holographic_Super_Cake "Holographic Supercake")

I call it the stupid simple WvW zerg blob build for thief currently.

[build link](http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQJAVVn0MBFNhFOBmOBUGjFYCTLBEAKA8JzoZ1sLKkEqCA-jlxHQBx7SAq/QRlgsRXQAV+5u9HAwTAIAwBw4jn4jHY8xHf8xHvrHf8xHf8xHf8xHfAQN-w "Build link")

In order, spam Spider Venom utility, F1, F2, 4 (auto attack only in very rare cases where no bubbles). I recommend targeting downed opponents and having the targeting option on that always snaps AoE target to current target. Don't be afraid to use Signet of Agility for the condi removal needs (as well as group support condi removal) - Payback trait is very good since high tagging rate. Signet can be replaced with a different utility (like Mercy or Binding Shadow). Shadow Meld elite helps if you get out of position or to break targets if higher WvW ranked/being pull sniped ;) Don't be afraid to use SB 3 and 5 to get out of the way as you can still be CC-locked into oblivion.

Firebrand just does everything better though at the moment and is more engaging to play.

• 1 month later...