reaper wvw roaming

felincyriac.5981

> @"Taqe.1342" said:

> First of, necro is bad at roaming, but since you asked, depends who you fight against.

> Mesmers, thiefs staff works well against stealth in my opinion, gs for anything else

as a thief that heavily plays with stealth i have to disagree that staff works well against stealth. maybe against thief that use little stealth and havent invested into it, if you play stealth heavy tho you take rather little damage in stealth when running with SA. SA is more or less a bruiser traitline for thief with the issze that it doesnt work while actually attacking, but while in stealth you can tank quite alot of damage with it both condi and power.

what really is good tho is the GS because its pull can pull through objects that prevent LoS like thin walls, wich makes it awesome when playing with the envoirement.

when a reaper forces me to walk around a little wall to get to them and they have a GS i allways am very careful, but i guess not everyone is.

but yeah for a non SA thief the staff can be more pressuring while they are in stealth, yet they often need to come close too in wich case nightfall can be really strong.

Marks are a great way to know where theif is (especially deadeye that attacks from range), ofcourse you can listen to thiefs mains to run around with GS swinging it like a retard while he stays at 1200 range and laughs xD

edit. I wrote thiefs, mesmer, but that also include their specializations

> @"Taqe.1342" said:

> Marks are a great way to know where theif is (especially deadeye that attacks from range), ofcourse you can listen to thiefs mains to run around with GS swinging it like a kitten while he stays at 1200 range and laughs xD

i laugh regardless what you bring on your necro. but hey if you dont want to take an advise, its up to you.

again - i laugh at necro in roaming.

as you say no reason to die to a necro especially as deadeye. but the fights you might win against bad deadeyes you still wont win them with a staff as that doesnt deal damage to a stealth heavy deadeye wich most deadeyes are. you will somehow have to bait them into melee with LoS for example and then a GS is much better. when they are visible as range damage you better use axe anyway not staff.

> @"MUDse.7623" said:

> again - i laugh at necro in roaming.

> as you say no reason to die to a necro especially as deadeye. but the fights you might win against bad deadeyes you still wont win them with a staff as that doesnt deal damage to a stealth heavy deadeye wich most deadeyes are. you will somehow have to bait them into melee with LoS for example and then a GS is much better. when they are visible as range damage you better use axe anyway not staff.

That's what I love about thieves. They are so confident in their ability as a solo roamer, they so often underestimate their foe.

> @"Lahmia.2193" said:

> > @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > again - i laugh at necro in roaming.

> > as you say no reason to die to a necro especially as deadeye. but the fights you might win against bad deadeyes you still wont win them with a staff as that doesnt deal damage to a stealth heavy deadeye wich most deadeyes are. you will somehow have to bait them into melee with LoS for example and then a GS is much better. when they are visible as range damage you better use axe anyway not staff.

>

> That's what I love about thieves. They are so confident in their ability as a solo roamer, they so often underestimate their foe.

thats most solo roamers, not exclusive to thieves.

i try to look as stupid as possible when killing my opponents mostly, so they come back to prove me it was luck. works against any class, tho your right especially well against other thieves.

> @"Lahmia.2193" said:

> > @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > again - i laugh at necro in roaming.

> > as you say no reason to die to a necro especially as deadeye. but the fights you might win against bad deadeyes you still wont win them with a staff as that doesnt deal damage to a stealth heavy deadeye wich most deadeyes are. you will somehow have to bait them into melee with LoS for example and then a GS is much better. when they are visible as range damage you better use axe anyway not staff.

>

> That's what I love about thieves. They are so confident in their ability as a solo roamer, they so often underestimate their foe.

Except they're not wrong. Thieves are one of the better solo roamers in WvW. Scourge is typically the go-to build for a Necromancer in WvW but that's not a solo roamer. But honestly, since Deadeye can patiently line up a kill shot on you from stealth there isn't much the Necro staff is going to do to stop them. Sure you could spam their AOEs but ...... they don't have to walk through them since Deadeye has one of the longest ranges in the game (1500 while kneeling compared to 1200 of the Necro staff) and doesn't have to get anywhere near them when roaming. You have to be a very sloppy Deadeye to die to a Reaper staff.

Staff does give area denial options that prevent a cloaked DE from using certain areas, but once they're placed you have to get off it.

Landing GS5 is a thing of beauty.

Those things said, if you find a DE on flat ground, you're pretty much hosed. Your only way of winning is line of sight and obstacle based. You have a chance in alpine ruins, but no real chance in alpine between bay and garri, for example.

Basically, my own experience trying both is that staff is more a defensive/control weapon while GS is more an offensive/control weapon.

Staff is more a 'react to your opponent's moves' weapon while GS is more a 'force your moves on your opponents' weapon.

Personally I find staff better for Reaper roaming as it is more versatile against the varied opponents we may face.

But I still run with Greatsword.

Can't. Drop. Twilight.

Staff Pros:

Additional condi management

Multitude of soft condi-control (chill, poison, weakness)

Longer range (better area control)

Unblockable (traited)

Greatsword Pros:

Higher burst damage

Stronger close-range control

Multitude of soft condi-control (chill, cripple, blind)

Boon removal

> @"Dace.8173" said:

> > @"Lahmia.2193" said:

> > > @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > > again - i laugh at necro in roaming.

> > > as you say no reason to die to a necro especially as deadeye. but the fights you might win against bad deadeyes you still wont win them with a staff as that doesnt deal damage to a stealth heavy deadeye wich most deadeyes are. you will somehow have to bait them into melee with LoS for example and then a GS is much better. when they are visible as range damage you better use axe anyway not staff.

> >

> > That's what I love about thieves. They are so confident in their ability as a solo roamer, they so often underestimate their foe.

>

> Except they're not wrong. Thieves are one of the better solo roamers in WvW. Scourge is typically the go-to build for a Necromancer in WvW but that's not a solo roamer. But honestly, since Deadeye can patiently line up a kill shot on you from stealth there isn't much the Necro staff is going to do to stop them. Sure you could spam their AOEs but ...... they don't have to walk through them since Deadeye has one of the longest ranges in the game (1500 while kneeling compared to 1200 of the Necro staff) and doesn't have to get anywhere near them when roaming. You have to be a very sloppy Deadeye to die to a Reaper staff.

would you recommend power or cele scourge?

Ok:

Against good people, that know what kiting is and that know, that necro is freaking weak against cc and kiting and range, use staff. It doesn't do that much dmg, but it's decent to get back lifeforce and at least pressure the enemy a bit or just annoy them with chill and fear.

Against bad players or players that always try to fight you in melee use gs.

Don't try to make gravedigger work. Use the other 4 skills of this weapon.

And maybe inform yourself, on how to animation cancel with this weapon.

I'm currently running axe/horn + GS. And I have to say there are a lot of bad people.

Last week I found a thief attacking me. He jumped away, I used gravedigger to get some time to breathe, he ported into it and got instant downed by a 12k crit.

But there are also some good players even though I have to say, that they are pretty rare.

I often find myself getting ganked by 4 rifle deadeyes.

There's sadly no chance to win, run or life this

weather or not anyone agrees i ALWAYS keep signet of spite on my bar. i fight thiefs and their respective elites every day all day. this 1 skill helps me beat them more often than not.and anyone who says necro isnt a good roaming spec is right and wrong at the same time. choxie is a very good example of what a roaming necro can do.furthermore i find that core necro is a very good answer to deadeye. ive been keeping posion cloud on my bar more these days and its pretty nice against a deadeye.

I always roam with Reaper. I personally do not use staff, mainly because I find it both: 1) boring, and 2) hard to use "mechanically". What I mean by the latter is that I don't really use a mouse, 'cause i play on a laptop, so the ground target aiming is just too clunky for me. For those that care about such things, I also think that the GS and Axe/X combo is the superior "style" option: GSs look pretty awesome!

Seriously, though, to mirror the above posters:

Staff is the BEST defensive/utility weapon that necros possess [pro], but is slow with long cool-downs [con].

GS is the BEST area cleave and arguably highest "threat" weapon reapers possess [pro], but does not have much range and attacks are pretty telegraphed [con].