Get Necro Back Into LFG By Reworking Staff?

Maroon.5901

It's no doubt that necro has no place in the LFG and that staff skills are useless or just gamebreaking unhealthy (talking about AoE bombing in WvW).

My solution would be to rework staff into a weapon that has a potential in healing, aswell as offensive and diffensive support. Vanila necro shroud (that is also useless ATM.), shoul gain some healing potential (more lifeforce to hp transfer's like on the skill 4 /w blood magic).

Raiding playstyle I have in my head would be like this:

-Doing regular scepter condi rotation

-Weaponswap to burst some health to teamates when they are low (marks pulse boons, and hp on AoE)

-Return to scepter condi rotation

-Use shades or reworked shroud skills to heal your group

-Repeatat

This rework would challange druids that have no competition (no auramancers are far outclassed) and make necro not toxic towards enemy in WvW as well as extand fights between groups making them more enjoyable.

> @"ccrazool.2905" said:

> I just don't really even know what the staff is FOR. The autoattack is slooooooow as heck, and the 2-5 skills seem lackluster at best. Can't pump out great DPS, can't do great utility. What am I supposed to use this thing for?

Build life force, transfer condis, AoE fear and poison combo + AoE chill

If you don't know what staff is for or consider its skills useless, you must not be venturing very far outside of Core Tyria. I have ENDLESS use of the abilities Staff provides in HoT and PoF. Let's not pretend Staff is some useless weapon just to try to garner the attention of Anet ... it works and for what it does, it does reasonably well; not crappy but not OP either. Even its DPS isn't that bad for a weapon that is considered by most to be mostly AoE and utility-focused.

I really can't get my head around the OP suggestion; it's sort of vague. He suggests Staff should have potential in healing, offensive and defensive support. ALL those things? Isn't that what Staff already does? It's already a smorgasbord of DPS/Healing/Defensive/Offensive Support ... and inline with reason, it doesn't do any particular one of them really great.

Personally, I find the major issue with staff is that it's boring to play. AA, #2 and #3 are just spam. Only 4 and sometimes 5 required considered use. It's hard to imagine that (reasonable) changes to staff are significant enough to make necro desirable on LFG.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> If you don't know what staff is for or consider its skills useless, you must not be venturing very far outside of Core Tyria. I have ENDLESS use of the abilities Staff provides in HoT and PoF.

Currently working through HoT for the first time. What are some of the ways where Staff shines in this content? This content is harder than Core Tyria, so to me it seems like staff is underperforming even more in HoT than in Core. If it's weak on the easy content, how is it strong on the hard content?

> @"ccrazool.2905" said:

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > If you don't know what staff is for or consider its skills useless, you must not be venturing very far outside of Core Tyria. I have ENDLESS use of the abilities Staff provides in HoT and PoF.

>

> Currently working through HoT for the first time. What are some of the ways where Staff shines in this content? This content is harder than Core Tyria, so to me it seems like staff is underperforming even more in HoT than in Core. If it's weak on the easy content, how is it strong on the hard content?

It depends entirely what your build is actually. You can't just equip a staff and think "Oh, this is good". Let me ask you back, what build are you using where the staff doesn't provide you with good utilities ... I'm assuming you aren't using Scourge, so you don't have barriers to save you or lots of condi cleansing. You're certainly encountering for the first time in HoT, mobs you want to interrupt, that you don't want in your face. Staff provides for all that. I'm not even sure anyone can reasonably answer that question because getting full use from any weapon isn't just a function of the weapon itself; situational awareness is HUGE in this game, ESPECIALLY if you have a weapon like Staff with various effects that can help you in specific situations.

I'm not suggesting Staff is some main weapon you just camp all the time; I certainly don't. What I do know is that it's got utility that people get value from, especially if you haven't unlocked Scourge. If you only think of this weapon as not good at this or not good at that, then of course you don't think it's good for anything. I can't really help you with that.

I think the biggest clue is the trait Soul Marks in Soul Reaping; clearly the primary point of this weapon is to support the frequent use of Shroud. If you don't camp Shroud as much as a you can, then you're just not maximizing your use of Staff. It is a little ironic that Staff is designed and intended to camp a state of being that doesn't get access to it, but that's a different thread about how Shroud is actually deficient as a class mechanic.