When is it time to update from DX9 to something later?

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > The other elephant in the room that everyone forgets is that ArenaNet wants their game to be able to run decently on potatoes...which it currently does, i.e.; I can throw open my 15 year old Toshiba laptop with Win7 and start up GW2 and play it without any problems tomorrow(if I wanted to, not that I would, but I could). That's the other reason for not doing any major changes to the engine, they want it to be able to run on as many computers as possible, even those old dinosaurs.

>

> Keep in mind that the lowest requirement cards NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS and AMD Radeon HD 2900 XT are both DirectX 10 cards released in 2006/2007. So basically the game doesn't officially support a DirectX 9 GPU anymore. Obviously the DX10 cards are also much faster in DX9 games than previous gen cards, but it does look weird to support only DX10+ cards while having a DX9 game.

What if I tell you that I originally ran this on a lower card than the Radeon HD 2900, I think the card I originally started with was a HD 2650, or was it a 2450...I don't quite remember, but I know it wasn't a 2900. Officially supporting does not necessarily mean the game won't run on it anymore(with perhaps the exception being XP, but without an XP machine I couldn't verify).

> @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > The other elephant in the room that everyone forgets is that ArenaNet wants their game to be able to run decently on potatoes...which it currently does, i.e.; I can throw open my 15 year old Toshiba laptop with Win7 and start up GW2 and play it without any problems tomorrow(if I wanted to, not that I would, but I could). That's the other reason for not doing any major changes to the engine, they want it to be able to run on as many computers as possible, even those old dinosaurs.

> >

> > Keep in mind that the lowest requirement cards NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS and AMD Radeon HD 2900 XT are both DirectX 10 cards released in 2006/2007. So basically the game doesn't officially support a DirectX 9 GPU anymore. Obviously the DX10 cards are also much faster in DX9 games than previous gen cards, but it does look weird to support only DX10+ cards while having a DX9 game.

>

> What if I tell you that I originally ran this on a lower card than the Radeon HD 2900, I think the card I originally started with was a HD 2650, or was it a 2450...I don't quite remember, but I know it wasn't a 2900. Officially supporting does not necessarily mean the game won't run on it anymore(with perhaps the exception being XP, but without an XP machine I couldn't verify).

The game had lower requirements when it was released, they went up with the Path of Fire expansion. I wonder if that original GPU of yours can run Path of Fire maps.