Ryzen 7 1700 & R9 390 - Low FPS

Hello everyone. I wanted to ask for some advice on what I could be doing wrong to improve my FPS. I am very well aware that gw2 is a very poorly optimized game due to the old engine it runs on.

But i've seen computers with similar builds getting 55-80 stable fps yet I got 30-55 fps with a rather high end computer.

Is there any programs I can use to make sure my GPU and CPU is running on maximum performance?

Im getting about 50 fps when standing still and 30-40 fps when moving around.

My specs :

16GB RAM

Ryzen 7 1700

R9 390

The computer is new, so virus and such shoudln't be an issue.

New computer,, did you build it yourself or pre-made... Are the drivers up to date... You can try AMD overdrive to check cpu speed. IF your good with Computers and your systems has after market cooler try Over Clocking .. Unless you miss typed Ryzen 7 1700 base is 3.0 ghz with a turbo mode to 3.7 you can check you bios to see if its enabled.

> @Xanderis.2369 said:

> New computer,, did you build it yourself or pre-made... Are the drivers up to date... You can try AMD overdrive to check cpu speed. IF your good with Computers and your systems has after market cooler try Over Clocking .. Unless you miss typed Ryzen 7 1700 base is 3.0 ghz with a turbo mode to 3.7 you can check you bios to see if its enabled.

I built it ''myself'' (with a friend). I'll double check the drivers... I got something called MSI live update which I think updates the bios/motherboard?

I've tried Overclocking before but it doesnt work. Whenever I use game boost or overclocking my Ryzen 7 (base) goes from 3.0 ghz to 1.5 ghz. Here's a link to the problem discussion :

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3448283/ryzen-1700-5ghz.html

So I cant manage to overclock in any way without it immedietly going doing to 1.5 ghz, bottlenecking the entire PC.

> @Ventris.3208 said:

> Update BIOS on MBO.

> I built new PC for girlfriend with Ryzen 7 1700 and I put in my old GTX770. She runs GW2 on high settings on 80-120 fps with very rare drop to 60.

> On my PC with i5 a gaind around 20 fps in PoF maps just by disabling "light adaptation" in graphics settings...

Thank you, Ventris.

I appreciate any help from you, I just updated my BIOS and managed to succesfully boost my CPU from 3.0 ghz to 3.7 aswell as my RAM from 2.1 ghz to 2.9 with XMP.

The game is now running better. But no where near the numbers your girlfriend apparently is getting... It stays around 70-80 with drops to 48-50 when I turn around (though im standing in the first city amoon something in the expansion).

Im gonna try playing around a bit and see if the FPS goes up more outside the village. I would die to get 80-120 fps. Considering my specs should be better than your gf's, I dont know why Im getting worse :S.

Im at the point where im almsot willing to pay people with in-game gold if they solve my issues lol.

Computer constantly crashes after trying the 3.7 ghz CPU and 2.9 RAM. I had stable 70-80 fps but I first got a bluescreen. Then the PC randomly crashes. Monitors goes black and sound cuts off and im forced to shut down the pc. This happened 3 times before I turned the CPU overclock to 3.5 GHZ and shut off the XMP. No crashes so far but significant FPS drops down to 50-60 fps.

For me, graphical settings KILLING performance were "Character Model Limit" and "Characater Model Quality" when around people.

There's also a few "vistas" where "LOD Distance" on ultra and high "Environment" were showing the limits of DirectX 9 occlusion culling (or complete lack of game engine).

Everything else on max were fine.

I personally found huge improvements from disabling certain sound option, especially the feed from other players (Still running as limited, but sometimes I just put them to off if I am doing world bosses or metas). Sound implementation seems to be a huge hog on resources. Other options that helped was having Rendering Sample as Native, as well disabling ambient occlusion (it's buggy) and setting shaders to low. Another thing that may slow you down is rendering all of other people's textures, so like some mentioned, lowering character model limit or quality may help as well.

> @Forsving.9162 said:

> Computer constantly crashes after trying the 3.7 ghz CPU and 2.9 RAM. I had stable 70-80 fps but I first got a bluescreen. Then the PC randomly crashes. Monitors goes black and sound cuts off and im forced to shut down the pc. This happened 3 times before I turned the CPU overclock to 3.5 GHZ and shut off the XMP. No crashes so far but significant FPS drops down to 50-60 fps.

Your pc is most likely crashing now due to not having enough voltage/load line calibration might be a thing worth checking out aswell to keep a stable oc.Are you sure your GPU is running at max speed btw ? Nothing else being throttled down while gaming ?

> @Caedmon.6798 said:

> > @Forsving.9162 said:

> > Computer constantly crashes after trying the 3.7 ghz CPU and 2.9 RAM. I had stable 70-80 fps but I first got a bluescreen. Then the PC randomly crashes. Monitors goes black and sound cuts off and im forced to shut down the pc. This happened 3 times before I turned the CPU overclock to 3.5 GHZ and shut off the XMP. No crashes so far but significant FPS drops down to 50-60 fps.

>

> Your pc is most likely crashing now due to not having enough voltage/load line calibration might be a thing worth checking out aswell to keep a stable oc.Are you sure your GPU is running at max speed btw ? Nothing else being throttled down while gaming ?

Hello again everyone. I think I managed to get the best im going to get. Here's a funny story about what happened.

I started by following the guys advice to update my BIOS. After doing that I tried overclocking my CPU to 3.7 ghz and why not my DRAM to 2,9 ghz while im at it.

I run the bios and start gw2. I went from 30-55 fps to 70-80 fps. SIGNIFICANT BOOST. Unfortunately as I mentioned the pc kept crashing every 5 minutes. I got very frustrated and decided to turn off the XMP (D-ram OC) and tune down my CPU OC to 3.5 ghz. Started the computer and ran gw2 again... 50-60 fps. Still better than before, but unacceptable with my specs!!

I sat there mumbling and brooding to myself before trying again. I went back in to bios, put the CPU back up to 3.7 ghz and kept the XMP (RAM OC) disabled. I saved it and ran gw2.

**BOOOOOOOM**

130 FPS.

holy freaking shit... I went from 30-50 fps to 130 fps. The question im having though is why 3.5 ghz with NO XMP gave me 50-60 fps but 3.7 ghz with NO XMP gave me 130... I really dont get computers sometimes...

So CPU overclocking + XMP just made shit worse?

I'm happy you solved the issue.

The thing is that GW2 engine is very heavy on CPU. CPU is responsble for around 85% of your FPS the rest is GPU an since it is a 5 year old game you don't need strong GPU for FPS gain but CPU. GW2 engine can use all 16 threads of your CPU, so 16 x 200MHz(around 500Mhz with boost) plus when you take in consideration that Ryzen benefits big time from faster RAM you can clearly see it is a big diference for such CPU hungry game =)

Problem with boosting RAM is probably memory BUS speeds and maybe RAM voltage, I would bet on those two for your crashes.

> @Ventris.3208 said:

> I'm happy you solved the issue.

> The thing is that GW2 engine is very heavy on CPU. CPU is responsble for around 85% of your FPS the rest is GPU an since it is a 5 year old game you don't need strong GPU for FPS gain but CPU. GW2 engine can use all 16 threads of your CPU, so 16 x 200MHz(around 500Mhz with boost) plus when you take in consideration that Ryzen benefits big time from faster RAM you can clearly see it is a big diference for such CPU hungry game =)

> Problem with boosting RAM is probably memory BUS speeds and maybe RAM voltage, I would bet on those two for your crashes.

Is the game utilizing 16 threads by default or do I need to add some sort of command in the launcher properties to make it actually do that? Sometimes games need manually enable directx11 and such.

> @Forsving.9162 said:

> > @Ventris.3208 said:

> > I'm happy you solved the issue.

> > The thing is that GW2 engine is very heavy on CPU. CPU is responsble for around 85% of your FPS the rest is GPU an since it is a 5 year old game you don't need strong GPU for FPS gain but CPU. GW2 engine can use all 16 threads of your CPU, so 16 x 200MHz(around 500Mhz with boost) plus when you take in consideration that Ryzen benefits big time from faster RAM you can clearly see it is a big diference for such CPU hungry game =)

> > Problem with boosting RAM is probably memory BUS speeds and maybe RAM voltage, I would bet on those two for your crashes.

>

> Is the game utilizing 16 threads by default or do I need to add some sort of command in the launcher properties to make it actually do that? Sometimes games need manually enable directx11 and such.

All I did was unparking cores. You can find utility [here](http://www.coderbag.com/programming-c/disable-cpu-core-parking-utility "here")

All you need is a better processor.

Many cores are nice but not for this game.

4 cores are enough for here.

If you want high-quality end game experience with high fps you need OCed CPU.

i7 or i5 running at 4.5Ghz+

I have old i7 4790k, running at 4.6 and I pull 55-61fps in lions arch Saturdays and Sundays when I have limited the fps to 60.

55 is the minimum I have seen but most of the time it stays at 60-61.

For reference, my GPU is 780ti classified, a little OCed too. And DDR3 OCed to 2133mhz, 16gb.

The details are set on ULTRA MEGA SUPER DUPER HIGH - everything on max, 1080p

Soo.. 4-5 years old build but runs it very nice.

I will upgrade in 2018 with Ice lake i7 for 5ghz+ (as it will use 10nm technology and no use for coffee lake atm as it uses same nm technology just optimized) and 2080ti GPU, prolly will add 32gb ram but ~4000mhz, and will upg from SSD to samsung 960 evo m.2 and again won't touch this PC 4-6 years and will use the old one for server.

Set power management to high performance.

Disable game mode in Win10.

RAM overclocking, especially manual, helps on Ryzen systems. XMP usually results in crashes, so I'd look around the net on how to manually get RAM to 2933, 3066 or best, to 3200. It increases the FPS and makes microstuttering much less present in heavy cases like WvW. I play a lot of WvW on my machine with R5 1600 and it does very well.

The game is technically obsolete and makes limited use of extra cores. Ryzen may be behind i7's on those because of that. Hard to buy PC for a 5 years old game with a 10 years old engine. Ryzen plays it well enough anyway. I could have gone for 7700K, but it was just too much more expensive and I didn't feel like it.

Not much you can do other than getting a higher single core performance processor, particularly the intel processors. Ryzen is more for multi-core softwares but most games still do not use multicore.

Also, gw2 seems to be getting more demanding over the years due to the new contents. I wonder why they still haven't update the minimum specifications. I still remember I used to play it at medium on my old rig and then now it can only run on low for same amount of performance.