Necro's staff.

killfil.3472

I was just about to make a thread on how these new buffs are amazing, but it really makes the staff stand out as needing some work. Apparently people hated my "make marks last 3 seconds" idea, so why not buff it's support role?

So here's another crazy idea, change Soul Marks to Life From Death and make it give 7% Vitality to Healing Power and Concentration while removing the life force generation on marks but keeping unblockable. Or just healing power.

People keep saying staff is terribad and needs a complete overhaul, but it's really not quite that far gone. It just needs a few minor tweaks to catch up. It used to be a strong support weapon but was nerfed back in the day... just reverse those nerfs. And fix the AA. Done.

-Putrid Mark used to transfer conditions from allies in the AOE, not just yourself, a great support ability. Give it the same duration reduction as epidemic to prevent double tapping the transferred condis.

-Mark of Blood used to have more bleeding stacks.

-Make Chillblains poison field last a tiny bit longer, to synergize better with the following:

-Make the AA a 100% projectile finisher and increase velocity. Since our support spec relies heavily on wells, there's lots of fields to combo through, including a condi clear with Well of Blood. The Dark fields kind of suck, but that just makes it more reliant on ally generated fields, which is just fine for a support weapon. That would make staff synergize with our support build pretty well, and also make it a condi weapon without becoming an offensive powerhouse.

Now if Dark fields+projectiles was updated use the lifesteal to heal allies the projecitle hits, or to strip boons, that would be the finishing touch :)

> @"Rhyse.8179" said:

> People keep saying staff is terribad and needs a complete overhaul, but it's really not quite that far gone. It just needs a few minor tweaks to catch up. It used to be a strong support weapon but was nerfed back in the day... just reverse those nerfs. And fix the AA. Done.

>

> -Putrid Mark used to transfer conditions from allies in the AOE, not just yourself, a great support ability. Give it the same duration reduction as epidemic to prevent double tapping the transferred condis.

> -Mark of Blood used to have more bleeding stacks.

> -Make Chillblains poison field last a tiny bit longer, to synergize better with the following:

> -Make the AA a 100% projectile finisher and increase velocity. Since our support spec relies heavily on wells, there's lots of fields to combo through, including a condi clear with Well of Blood. The Dark fields kind of suck, but that just makes it more reliant on ally generated fields, which is just fine for a support weapon. That would make staff synergize with our support build pretty well, and also make it a condi weapon without becoming an offensive powerhouse.

>

> Now if Dark fields+projectiles was updated use the lifesteal to heal allies the projecitle hits, or to strip boons, that would be the finishing touch :)

I don't think the staff is terrible. I think it stands out as something that could be improved from its current form. Even with the possibility of permanent regen for my team in fractals tonight, I opted into my scepter/torch for better damage and life force regen. Staff has nothing that sets it apart from other weapons as a good option. Yes, the marks are good in PvP and WvW for area denial and condition transfers, but in PvE it really takes a back seat to everything else.

I'm 100% with you on making the auto attack a 100% projectile finisher and increasing the length of Chillblains' poison field. However, I'd argue against Putrid Mark only transferring conditions from allies in the AoE. I'd rather see it transfer a number of conditions from your allies nearby and then transfer conditions off of you onto enemies with reduced duration. As for Mark of Blood having more bleeding stacks, I wouldn't argue against adding protection or vigor to it.

The staff doesn't need a 100% rework, it just needs to be made into an option you would actively want to choose over other combos, and the same goes for the Focus and War Horn.

> @"Timarius.2895" said:

> I was just about to make a thread on how these new buffs are amazing, but it really makes the staff stand out as needing some work. Apparently people hated my "make marks last 3 seconds" idea, so why not buff it's support role?

>

> So here's another crazy idea, change Soul Marks to Life From Death and make it give 7% Vitality to Healing Power and Concentration while removing the life force generation on marks but keeping unblockable. Or just healing power.

Oh I like the idea of the trait change. I would love if the marks did some of there effects upon cast and some on trigger. Mark of blood puts regen on allies where its cast and it still applies bleeding when triggered. Putrid mark is a blast finisher up on cast (explodes into being) and does damage and condi transfer upon trigger. Chilblains would be interesting to have the poison cloud apear on cast and the chill on trigger.

Whichever Dev is working on Guardian, can we get this guy to work on Necromancer?

Necromancer has always badly needed reworks to core skills. Focus 4 is just the worst offender, requiring facing when cast, facing when it hits, a non moving enemy, and an adjacent ally or enemy in order to work. Staff skills, offhand dagger skills, axe 1, all need work.

The guy working on Guardian is actually working on skills and doing a good job. (Not just changing numbers on traits). The Guardian staff rework is interesting, and the new Guardian focus 4 from the last patch is fantastic.

> @"Rhyse.8179" said:

> People keep saying staff is terribad and needs a complete overhaul, but it's really not quite that far gone. It just needs a few minor tweaks to catch up. It used to be a strong support weapon but was nerfed back in the day... just reverse those nerfs. And fix the AA. Done.

>

> -Putrid Mark used to transfer conditions from allies in the AOE, not just yourself, a great support ability. Give it the same duration reduction as epidemic to prevent double tapping the transferred condis.

> -Make Chillblains poison field last a tiny bit longer, to synergize better with the following:

> -Make the AA a 100% projectile finisher and increase velocity. Since our support spec relies heavily on wells, there's lots of fields to combo through, including a condi clear with Well of Blood. The Dark fields kind of suck, but that just makes it more reliant on ally generated fields, which is just fine for a support weapon. That would make staff synergize with our support build pretty well, and also make it a condi weapon without becoming an offensive powerhouse.

>

> Now if Dark fields+projectiles was updated use the lifesteal to heal allies the projecitle hits, or to strip boons, that would be the finishing touch :)

Putrid Mark never behaved in the manner that you suggest. If you look into the patch note history, it had a *description* that suggested that usage, but it was just a description error. They didn't nerf it, they just fixed the description to say how the skill behaved. That said, it would be a far more interesting support weapon if Putrid Mark DID behave that way, though I feel like it would still need some kind of true heal skill on the weapon to make it worthwhile to a healer-spec. Just access to regen isn't enough.

Edit: Putrid Mark would probably be too strong like that though. Imagine Slothasar shaking 25 stacks of condis onto the raid, and a Plaguedoctor Scourge sending back 125 stacks back (If it effected 5 allies and send the condi's back as such), at any duration. Best burst damage skill a healer could ask for. lol

> @"Ceit.7619" said:

> Edit: Putrid Mark would probably be too strong like that though. Imagine Slothasar shaking 25 stacks of condis onto the raid, and a Plaguedoctor Scourge sending back 125 stacks back (If it effected 5 allies and send the condi's back as such), at any duration. Best burst damage skill a healer could ask for. lol

True, but we can already do that via Plague Signet. That's balanced by capping the number of conditions drawn. No reason Staff 4 couldn't have the same balancing.

> @"nekretaal.6485" said:

> Whichever Dev is working on Guardian, can we get this guy to work on Necromancer?

>

> Necromancer has always badly needed reworks to core skills. Focus 4 is just the worst offender, requiring facing when cast, facing when it hits, a non moving enemy, and an adjacent ally or enemy in order to work. Staff skills, offhand dagger skills, axe 1, all need work.

>

> The guy working on Guardian is actually working on skills and doing a good job. (Not just changing numbers on traits). The Guardian staff rework is interesting, and the new Guardian focus 4 from the last patch is fantastic.

can't say better : a big +1 .

> @"nekretaal.6485" said:

> Whichever Dev is working on Guardian, can we get this guy to work on Necromancer?

>

> Necromancer has always badly needed reworks to core skills. Focus 4 is just the worst offender, requiring facing when cast, facing when it hits, a non moving enemy, and an adjacent ally or enemy in order to work. Staff skills, offhand dagger skills, axe 1, all need work.

>

> The guy working on Guardian is actually working on skills and doing a good job. (Not just changing numbers on traits). The Guardian staff rework is interesting, and the new Guardian focus 4 from the last patch is fantastic.

There were only two developers working on balance. The same ones working on Guardian were also working on Necromancer... We shall see how the new Systems Team does with balancing and reworks.

> @"Rhyse.8179" said:

>

>

Im still gonna pull for multi charges on marks when soul marks is traited

I dont agree that its fully meant to be a support weapon even in its past variations most people want it updated for selfish means and likely not supportive means. Ideally adding support back to this weapon will likely still leave most people very unsatisfied with it. At this point staff is a personal necro utility weapon and increasing the effectiveness of that utility by adding ammo on marks when traited with soul marks would be the best way to go.

Your suggestions are good but i feel like these wont catch up staff to other weapons

Auto attack chains are generally worth wild and rewarding if you land the last part of the chain and ill always pull for chain attacks over standard repetitive attacks like it has now.

Ideally ammo on marks would be a fine boost with the auto being a 100% projectile combo.

or

Rework the auto into a good chain attack that adds back some of the other things you point out staff use to have.

> @"ZDragon.3046" said:

> > @"Rhyse.8179" said:

> > People keep saying staff is terribad and needs a complete overhaul, but it's really not quite that far gone. It just needs a few minor tweaks to catch up. It used to be a strong support weapon but was nerfed back in the day... just reverse those nerfs. And fix the AA. Done.

> >

> > -Putrid Mark used to transfer conditions from allies in the AOE, not just yourself, a great support ability. Give it the same duration reduction as epidemic to prevent double tapping the transferred condis.

> > -Mark of Blood used to have more bleeding stacks.

> > -Make Chillblains poison field last a tiny bit longer, to synergize better with the following:

> > -Make the AA a 100% projectile finisher and increase velocity. Since our support spec relies heavily on wells, there's lots of fields to combo through, including a condi clear with Well of Blood. The Dark fields kind of suck, but that just makes it more reliant on ally generated fields, which is just fine for a support weapon. That would make staff synergize with our support build pretty well, and also make it a condi weapon without becoming an offensive powerhouse.

> >

> > Now if Dark fields+projectiles was updated use the lifesteal to heal allies the projecitle hits, or to strip boons, that would be the finishing touch :)

>

> Im still gonna pull for multi charges on marks when soul marks is traited

> I dont agree that its fully meant to be a support weapon even in its past variations most people want it updated for selfish means and likely not supportive means. Ideally adding support back to this weapon will likely still leave most people very unsatisfied with it. At this point staff is a personal necro utility weapon and increasing the effectiveness of that utility by adding ammo on marks when traited with soul marks would be the best way to go.

>

> Your suggestions are good but i feel like these wont catch up staff to other weapons

>

> Auto attack chains are generally worth wild and rewarding if you land the last part of the chain and ill always pull for chain attacks over standard repetitive attacks like it has now.

>

> Ideally ammo on marks would be a fine boost with the auto being a 100% projectile combo.

> or

> Rework the auto into a good chain attack that adds back some of the other things you point out staff use to have.

>

>

Adding a chain attack to auto or just general buffs would be perfectly acceptable. Its when people go on about changing the weapon entirely that makes my eyes roll.

> @"Lahmia.2193" said:

> > @"ZDragon.3046" said:

> > > @"Rhyse.8179" said:

> > > People keep saying staff is terribad and needs a complete overhaul, but it's really not quite that far gone. It just needs a few minor tweaks to catch up. It used to be a strong support weapon but was nerfed back in the day... just reverse those nerfs. And fix the AA. Done.

> > >

> > > -Putrid Mark used to transfer conditions from allies in the AOE, not just yourself, a great support ability. Give it the same duration reduction as epidemic to prevent double tapping the transferred condis.

> > > -Mark of Blood used to have more bleeding stacks.

> > > -Make Chillblains poison field last a tiny bit longer, to synergize better with the following:

> > > -Make the AA a 100% projectile finisher and increase velocity. Since our support spec relies heavily on wells, there's lots of fields to combo through, including a condi clear with Well of Blood. The Dark fields kind of suck, but that just makes it more reliant on ally generated fields, which is just fine for a support weapon. That would make staff synergize with our support build pretty well, and also make it a condi weapon without becoming an offensive powerhouse.

> > >

> > > Now if Dark fields+projectiles was updated use the lifesteal to heal allies the projecitle hits, or to strip boons, that would be the finishing touch :)

> >

> > Im still gonna pull for multi charges on marks when soul marks is traited

> > I dont agree that its fully meant to be a support weapon even in its past variations most people want it updated for selfish means and likely not supportive means. Ideally adding support back to this weapon will likely still leave most people very unsatisfied with it. At this point staff is a personal necro utility weapon and increasing the effectiveness of that utility by adding ammo on marks when traited with soul marks would be the best way to go.

> >

> > Your suggestions are good but i feel like these wont catch up staff to other weapons

> >

> > Auto attack chains are generally worth wild and rewarding if you land the last part of the chain and ill always pull for chain attacks over standard repetitive attacks like it has now.

> >

> > Ideally ammo on marks would be a fine boost with the auto being a 100% projectile combo.

> > or

> > Rework the auto into a good chain attack that adds back some of the other things you point out staff use to have.

> >

> >

>

> Adding a chain attack to auto or just general buffs would be perfectly acceptable. Its when people go on about changing the weapon entirely that makes my eyes roll.

Very few weapons need a complete change staff imo is not one of them even just ammo on marks 2 charges per mark would make it soooo much stronger that it might not need anything else. The only reason i say that is cause the cd's on staff are high so rather than lowering the cd just add some charges i found that skills that get updated this way tend to work great without having to lose or gain too much as far as effects or undergoing skill changes.