Friends Only Whisper Option

Sure, the friends/block list, on|offline, lfg, whisper, and chat systems are old school and could well use an overhaul. The question is: of all the things we (as the community) ask for, is this the most important or useful? For PvP, I'm sure a better whisper system would be a lot of help. But for PvE, things like the novelty wardrobe are much more fun & useful for more people (if for no other reason: clearing out inventory).

Accordingly, my guess is that ANet has this on their radar, with low priority. So find work-arounds that work for you, because you'll be using them for a good long time.

> @"Scud.5067" said:

> I find correcting their spelling and punctuation really helps to diffuse the situation.

Yes, that's often a winner. Other useful responses include:

* Yes, rather, quite quite. Tut, tut, cheerio!

* Yes, the left foot is the same as the other.

* No, no soap, radio!

* Surely Godot will come tomorrow.

* Thank you for such an inspiring suggestion. You must be quite good at that, with all the practice you've had at it.

* I preferred the reboot over the original.

Think of chat as an independent player-vs-player game. You win if you keep your cool and stay polite, while the other person loses their skritt. Enraged opponents are generally easiest to defeat. (Of course, sometimes it's some gem of a person on your own team, in which case, all your can do is ride out the storm. They aren't going to realize that yelling won't help improve the situation or make you more likely to follow their advice.)

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> Sure, the friends/block list, on|offline, lfg, whisper, and chat systems are old school and could well use an overhaul. The question is: of all the things we (as the community) ask for, is this the most important or useful? For PvP, I'm sure a better whisper system would be a lot of help. But for PvE, things like the novelty wardrobe are much more fun & useful for more people (if for no other reason: clearing out inventory).

>

> Accordingly, my guess is that ANet has this on their radar, with low priority. So find work-arounds that work for you, because you'll be using them for a good long time.

>

> ****

> > @"Scud.5067" said:

> > I find correcting their spelling and punctuation really helps to diffuse the situation.

>

> Yes, that's often a winner. Other useful responses include:

> * Yes, rather, quite quite. Tut, tut, cheerio!

> * Yes, the left foot is the same as the other.

> * No, no soap, radio!

> * Surely Godot will come tomorrow.

> * Thank you for such an inspiring suggestion. You must be quite good at that, with all the practice you've had at it.

> * I preferred the reboot over the original.

>

> Think of chat as an independent player-vs-player game. You win if you keep your cool and stay polite, while the other person loses their skritt. Enraged opponents are generally easiest to defeat. (Of course, sometimes it's some gem of a person on your own team, in which case, all your can do is ride out the storm. They aren't going to realize that yelling won't help improve the situation or make you more likely to follow their advice.)

I like to give just single word responses like k and fascinating.

> @"Rognik.2579" said:

> Unless people are constantly bothering you, you can probably clear out your block list. No need to block someone long term if it's just randoms from PvP unless you keep running into the same person who constantly berates you.

It's constant. Like every encounter... It'll be years without saying anything then they just whisper you. usually racist comments.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> Whilst you await some sort of update, you could always uncheck the 'Whisper' box in chat while you PvP. Or put 'Whisper' in its own tab.

>

good idea

You can even setup a chat tab (maybe called _PvP_) with `/team`, `/whisper`, and `/map` turned off

(I have something like that for raiding, so I don't get distracted by my chattier guild.)