Story elements I want to be done with...

Ashantara.8731

Part of it is just that the Inquest are a global nuisance rather than a local one. We occasionally have had to deal with the Svanir, or Nightmare Court, or Foefire ghosts, and the White Mantle got the better part of a season, but it all felt like they were acting in their own circle of influence. The other part is that the Inquest have been everywhere in LS4, but without any overarching plot really connecting it all or explaining it. The White Mantle had clear leaders, actual plans, and popped up in their strongholds in the Maguuma Jungle, or attacking Divinity's Reach, all in ways that made sense and were part of a story. The inquest are just... there, and so they feel out of place and shoveled in.

> @"Palador.2170" said:

> > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > 1. **The Inquest**. Yes, I get it, bad Asura are "so much fun"... until they are not, because it becomes repetitive. They experiment on living beings for their golem technology all the time (on Sylvari, Charr, and what not) - _yawn_. They build their ugly cubes everywhere and are an annoyance that needs to be dealt with - _yawn_. We see them everywhere, in the story, in certain maps, and in fractals. Isn't it enough? Let it go, please.

>

> I think you've missed an important point here. With the other 4 PC races, the 'evil' faction is a small part of the population. But the Inquest? They're everywhere, and more populous than the non-Inquest asura. Rata Sum is the asuran Ebonhawke, a city beset on all sides but trying to hold onto something important. It's the last and only bastion for the asura that feel that they need to get along with the other races. And even there, there's Inquest working against them.

>

> The more Inquest we uncover, the more they're setting up for the great asura civil (civility?) war?

That's not true at all. The Inquest are just another Krewe, they're a big Krewe, yes, but not some divergent state of Asura. They have a section inside Rata Sum, they have a single Council person. They're jerks, but definitely only a portion of all the available Asura.

I agree with point 3 - I'd like to see less futuretech type stuff. Especially in skins. I'll be in LA looking at all the armor combos people are wearing and suddenly there's Iron Man, then back to knights in armor. It's incongrous. I don't mind some sci-fi elements but I think the look of those should reflect a fantasy grounding rather than looking like something futuristic even to us in rl. Charr tech is a good example - it looks mechanical and clunky but functional. Just my 2 cents.

The thing with the dragons is such a shame. In theory, the 6 elder dragons could have been varied, interesting and quite terrifying final elements of the *whole* game's story, 10 years or so, until GW3 release.

It's just a shame that the interactions we had with them so far, while showing the odd *shadow* of greatness, never came together. Partially because ANet wants to *show* them, which just ruins their elemental force of nature aspect to me. They ought to be something we can't even fully grasp, we shouldn't be powerful enough to oppose them, only struggle and survive.

> @"Ephemiel.5694" said:

> I love how the 2nd one you want to be done with is, quite literally, the main focus of the Guild Wars 2 as a whole.

>

> If it ends, the game ends.

Not necessarily, they can come up with other things, but i do believe it *will* end when the dragons end because from what ive seen they have few ideas outside of wipe out old villains.

> @"Ephemiel.5694" said:

> I love how the 2nd one you want to be done with is, quite literally, the main focus of the Guild Wars 2 as a whole.

>

> If it ends, the game ends.

You‘re forgetting this is a fantasy game in a fantasy world, they can literally do whatever they want…

the game is called guild wars btw not elder dragon wars ?

What I‘m tryna say is, it doesn’t matter what would seem logical the devs could basically go in every direction they want storywise etc. just because right now it looks like our mission is to kill every elder dragon doesn’t mean this is what in the end we will do or that after that there is nothing to go for.

Agreed with Cedo. I love asuran themed content, I was very happy with the release of sandswept isles! The renewal of old inquest content and the new golem textures are awesome imo. Also, would agree with asuran technologies but they are part of everything, imagine tyria without asuran gates: giant flat land with only wars between races or undeveloped towns. These gates are a kind of social factor for me. What about pact airships and lightning cannons? Waypoints? Even some tengus in caledon try to expand their market with asuras.

I disagree with the complaints about Asuran technology. as frankly I get tired of fantasy that tries to stay in medieval europe for thousands and thousands of years with 0 technological progress ever being made I like that in Tyria they started with that trope, but then broke it by eye of the north, with the Asura coming out of their underground civilization and the Charr going through an industrial revolution and even the humans have started down that path, and since they've begun combining their technological skills together to combat the Elder Dragons they've begun making a lot of breakthroughs as a result (sometimes it just takes a different perspective) (Asura focus mostly on magic powered technology, Charr have been using fossil fuels as an alternative non magical energy source, and humans have been focusing on miniaturization of technology and intricate small moving parts (watchwork stuff). I like that this world is progressing.

As far as the other 2... every faction has had its bad guys and for the most part, they've been dealt with. Inquest is basically all that's left. The Nightmare Court? Mostly wiped out with Mordremoth as Nightmare Court were converted to Mordrem more readily than dreamers. Sons of Svanir? Their dragon is taking a nap, they're kind of lost as a result. "Bandits" aka White Mantle? Their leadership was destroyed, their hideouts purged, and their last God remains broken into pieces and irrecoverable. Balthazar's masquerade was their last straw, those that remain are nothing but common brigands now. Flame Legion took a hit with the defeat of Scarlet, they may rebound at some point but their influence has been diminished for years, like the Aetherblades.. just a few remaining pockets.

So what we have to deal with, is Inquest, Awakened (and even them not so much anymore), and Dragon Minions, with only 2 active dragons left. You MacGuffin those 2 to sleep or find a way for Aurene to replace them or something and we really have nothing left to do. Yeah you can bs your way into having a new antagonist but it's going to seem flimsy in comparison to dragons that could destroy the world and Gods.

On a racial level, all the races seem very monotone and stereotypical at first. HoT did wonders, in my mind, to the complexity and depth of the Sylvari. I think we should still encounter “corrupted” or at least conflicted sylvari even post-Mordremoth to give more breadth to their race.

I was pretty disappointed in how little encountering Primordus did to affect the Asura we knew in the story given their history. But I was thrilled to meet the Olmakhan charr who had shunned the industrial war machine mindset of their race’s dominant obsession.

What I’d like to see In the future:

Humans: cult-like or secluded sects of humans who aspire to transform to other races or graft other racial distinctions into themselves. Maybe with the help or sylvari magic, norn worship models or Asuran tech.

Asura: primitive, simplistic Asura who worship Primordus or who’ve only just recently ventured out from underground.

Norn: a norn collective who shun the totem gods and have developed their own science based on natural law and ley magic. Might feel too similar to the olmakhan tho.

Just some thoughts. I’m open to commentary, just keep it civil and constructive.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> C'mon, it is the same-old, same-old every time. I want us to finally find a way to deal with the threat without destroying the world, then move on to more interesting story-lines. Like Joko, who was a much needed, most appreciated, welcome respite from the Elder Dragons, or someone like Shiro Tagashi, Tengu stories, Norn stories, Charr homelands - _anything_ but those "lame old dragons" ;) over and over again.

Wait, you found Joko interesting? How? I agree that they tend to misuse the Elder Dragons, but there is actually potential there.

> @"Carighan.6758" said:

> The thing with the dragons is such a shame. In theory, the 6 elder dragons could have been varied, interesting and quite terrifying final elements of the *whole* game's story, 10 years or so, until GW3 release.

>

> It's just a shame that the interactions we had with them so far, while showing the odd *shadow* of greatness, never came together. Partially because ANet wants to *show* them, which just ruins their elemental force of nature aspect to me. They ought to be something we can't even fully grasp, we shouldn't be powerful enough to oppose them, only struggle and survive.

This basically sums up my thoughts on the Elder Dragons. I enjoyed the core up until Zhaitan was dead. Mordremoth was painfully human - like Balthazar - like Joko. "I am the jungle!" Show, don't tell. Why was a force of nature stooping down to talk to mere mortals? I actually have a thought for this. Perhaps, Mordremoth's fatal flaw was its mental connection to the Sylvari - they humanized it - weakened it. What we see of Mordremoth just ignores what the Elder Dragons were supposed to be.

Yeah the communication dish.... during that episode, Inquest also said they could use the hive mind capacity of kralkatorrik to communicate, also they can bring back dead to life by branding... I'm scared that Inquest will be maybe there in episode 4. Dunno why a so big parable, another headquarter somewhere?

> @"derd.6413" said:

> the main problem i currently have is that they rely a bit to much on "taimi figured it out" and "the inquest did it"

I actually enjoy the "taimi figured it out" part and don't mind more. Just like how zolja/snafu was destiny edge's brain. Taimi is our krew's brain. And no matter how much she doesn't want to be viewed as a mascot and the commander acknowledging her as a full fledged member, I'm sure deep down she's also a mascot.

I think she brings with her a good balance of relief from all the doom is coming feel. Even with just the voice comm.

> @"Briareos.1865" said:

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > the main problem i currently have is that they rely a bit to much on "taimi figured it out" and "the inquest did it"

>

> I actually enjoy the "taimi figured it out" part and don't mind more. Just like how zolja/snafu was destiny edge's brain. Taimi is our krew's brain. And no matter how much she doesn't want to be viewed as a mascot and the commander acknowledging her as a full fledged member, I'm sure deep down she's also a mascot.

>

> I think she brings with her a good balance of relief from all the doom is coming feel. Even with just the voice comm.

i don't have a problem with Taimi being the brain but variety never hurt anybody, have rytlock figure out the enemies battle tactics or have Taimi be wrong for a change.

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > @"Briareos.1865" said:

> > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > the main problem i currently have is that they rely a bit to much on "taimi figured it out" and "the inquest did it"

> >

> > I actually enjoy the "taimi figured it out" part and don't mind more. Just like how zolja/snafu was destiny edge's brain. Taimi is our krew's brain. And no matter how much she doesn't want to be viewed as a mascot and the commander acknowledging her as a full fledged member, I'm sure deep down she's also a mascot.

> >

> > I think she brings with her a good balance of relief from all the doom is coming feel. Even with just the voice comm.

>

> i don't have a problem with Taimi being the brain but variety never hurt anybody, have rytlock figure out the enemies battle tactics or have Taimi be wrong for a change.

Hmm thats reasonable. I wouldn't mind something else for a change either. Gotta have a little bit of everything to satisfy more people. I'll just replay the existing stories when I need the dose of taimi. Still have lots of achievements to do.

But I hope for less brahm. I remember some people wanted norn related stuff and I wouldn't mind either but I still hope brahm catches a cold and couldn't make it to that lws.