> > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > > > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > > > > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > > > > > > > > I, too, fear the "upgrade" will be merely visual, but I _do_ **hope** that it will be in functionality instead.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > In a game that isn't about gear treadmills there isn't much else they can do than visuals though. Being able to change stats could be something nice but then there is another problem. It would have to be stats at ascended/legendary level or no one will want that sub-par armor. And if it is on par **then ascended and legendary armor will be the joke of GW2**.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > They already are

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Well, I think that's a bit harsh. Considering the context of this game at least ascended gear has slightly better stats and can be upgraded in a few different ways. Legendary gear has the added bonus of being able to swap out stats on them and some unique looks. Now, I will be the first to say that legendary gear isn't worth the trouble for me and so I call that an insane amount of effort for what it is.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > But if they would introduce gear that is easier to get (and we don't know yet what's entailed in acquiring and upgrading them) and has the same advantages, that would really make it a joke. Personally the upgrade from exotic to ascended gear made a noticeable difference for me and well it's something to work towards on alts as well. So it keeps me buys without being insane like legendary gear.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > So I do welcome something new to do in that respect that hopefully is closer to the ascended gear effort than the legendary effort. That will determine entirely whether or not I will get involved in this.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Well, so you assume this armor, if it's legendary, it's easier to get.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Well, in my book the easiest is pvp legendary armor. It's 100% based on participation and time, with no skill or effort (outside of regular legendary expenses) involved. WvW is probably even easier but I don't like WvW so I have no opinion.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > If we assume Elegy armor is legendary, I would see it to be progression based collection/craft/achievement journey through seasons 4 and 5.

> > > > >

> > > > > I said we don't know what's entailed yet in acquiring and upgrading them

> > > > > I said that whether I will get involved with this at all depends on how much work it is to get

> > > > >

> > > > > So please explain how on earth you came to the conclusion that I assume it will be easier to get.

> > > >

> > > > You said if it is legendary it will be a joke aka calling it easy by design.

> > >

> > > I said IF it had the same benefits as legendary gear but is easier to acquire it would make it a joke. You do understand what "if" means I hope?

> > >

> >

> > Easier compared to what? WvW/PvP legendaries are already a joke compared to raid one.

>

>

> The problem with such comparisons is that this game is very big on cosmetics

these are individual player factors that are irrelevant when comparing item acquisition

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"segman.3560" said:

> > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > > > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > I, too, fear the "upgrade" will be merely visual, but I _do_ **hope** that it will be in functionality instead.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > In a game that isn't about gear treadmills there isn't much else they can do than visuals though. Being able to change stats could be something nice but then there is another problem. It would have to be stats at ascended/legendary level or no one will want that sub-par armor. And if it is on par **then ascended and legendary armor will be the joke of GW2**.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > They already are

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Well, I think that's a bit harsh. Considering the context of this game at least ascended gear has slightly better stats and can be upgraded in a few different ways. Legendary gear has the added bonus of being able to swap out stats on them and some unique looks. Now, I will be the first to say that legendary gear isn't worth the trouble for me and so I call that an insane amount of effort for what it is.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > But if they would introduce gear that is easier to get (and we don't know yet what's entailed in acquiring and upgrading them) and has the same advantages, that would really make it a joke. Personally the upgrade from exotic to ascended gear made a noticeable difference for me and well it's something to work towards on alts as well. So it keeps me buys without being insane like legendary gear.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > So I do welcome something new to do in that respect that hopefully is closer to the ascended gear effort than the legendary effort. That will determine entirely whether or not I will get involved in this.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Well, so you assume this armor, if it's legendary, it's easier to get.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Well, in my book the easiest is pvp legendary armor. It's 100% based on participation and time, with no skill or effort (outside of regular legendary expenses) involved. WvW is probably even easier but I don't like WvW so I have no opinion.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > If we assume Elegy armor is legendary, I would see it to be progression based collection/craft/achievement journey through seasons 4 and 5.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I said we don't know what's entailed yet in acquiring and upgrading them

> > > > > > I said that whether I will get involved with this at all depends on how much work it is to get

> > > > > >

> > > > > > So please explain how on earth you came to the conclusion that I assume it will be easier to get.

> > > > >

> > > > > You said if it is legendary it will be a joke aka calling it easy by design.

> > > >

> > > > I said IF it had the same benefits as legendary gear but is easier to acquire it would make it a joke. You do understand what "if" means I hope?

> > > >

> > >

> > > Easier compared to what? WvW/PvP legendaries are already a joke compared to raid one.

> >

> >

> > The problem with such comparisons is that this game is very big on cosmetics

>

> these are individual player factors that are irrelevant when comparing item acquisition

>

No they're not irrelevant. In fact, my point is that it is exactly the opposite. That you cannot see that is your individual player problem and therefore your view is irrelevant for the larger or meta picture of the game if you want to use terms like that. This game has always been more about skins than stats. That was already the case in GW1 so you could argue it's part of the ArenaNet philosophy.

The legendary grind is only there to keep people busy for longer periods of time because they know some people have a lot more time on their hands than others. The legendary gear grind is also not proportional at all to the effort to acquire ascended gear. Sure it's nice to be able to switch stats but to be honest, it's clearly easier to make multiple ascended gear sets than one legendary set. So it's a convenience item to spare you some inventory space (which you can buy your way through quite easily with a single bag upgrade). So the uniqueness of the skin is definitely part of the cost/effort involved.

That's definitely not irrelevant but actually an integral part of the calculation. That's why I said that just because cosmetics do not have much meaning to you apparently, doesn't mean it's not part of the larger picture and calculation of required effort that ArenaNet makes.

> @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> Am I the only one who thinks that adding all the glow effects take nice armor and turns it to garbage?

Count me in! Spending hours after hours to design some detailed, awesome armor and then subsequently ruining it by covering all the details and awesomeness with useless glowy effects seems really dumb to me. But hey, tastes differ, amiright?

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> > > @"Celsith.2753" said:

> > > > @"Sephylon.4938" said:

> > > > > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > > > http://dulfy.net/2018/09/17/gw2-new-elegy-armor-teaser/

> > > > > They just released a teaser

> > > > > Its clunky among clunky armors.

> > > > > Apparantly, the only thing it has going in its favour is the glowth/radiance is its own dye slot

> > > >

> > > > least its not a trenchcoat and has no butt cape

> > >

> > > On male toons... I'm expecting to find out my asura girls all get silly butt covers.

> >

> > The original images showed us female heavy and medium, and now we have male heavy and medium and the skins look identical, so I feel it's safe to expect the female light to follow the male, which is currently all we've seen. But yeah, Asura all use the same skin, so no matter what weight you're using you know what you'll get.

>

> Someone posted pictures of the male heavy and medium and female light... hang on... here they are:

>

> https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/54829/whats-this-new-armor-design-without-butt-capes#latest

>

> The male and female versions seem to be the same. Or very similar, anatomy allowing.

That's hawt. I'm definitely changing my Herald's pants after this

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > So I'm not sure why you make a comment like this. It makes no sense to say that to me after I explained that twice already.

> > >

> > > Stop trying. Some people deliberately misunderstand. ;)

> > >

> > > Anyway, let's get back on topic? About two hours left till we know what this whole upgradeable thing is about :) (After watching the latest video, I stand by my guess that it will be cosmetical only).

> >

> > Yeah you're right. I let it trigger me and I need to let it go. And I agree that it's likely to be cosmetic. I just don't see how it could be anything else. Well, there is one thing and that is if this is also legendary gear and just a different way of getting it. However, then I would expect them to call it legendary gear and not upgradeable gear.

>

> I hope that if the "upgrade" process is long and costly that it'll result in ascended armour but I doubt it now, it's starting to "feel" like the Luminescent armour from LS2 I'm starting to think that the final version might be just a skin unlock rather than another piece of actual armour.

>

> Oh well, we'll see in a couple of hours.

At this point it's anyone's guess of course but there has to be a reason that they give it a new category name.

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> but there has to be a reason that they give it a new category name.

I don't think that "upgradeable armor" is a new category - to me, it merely sounds like a description. As stated in my last response, I am quite sure that the final product will be a normal ascended gear item (with a glowing effect).

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > but there has to be a reason that they give it a new category name.

>

> I don't think that "upgradeable armor" is a new category - to me, it merely sounds like a description. As stated in my last response, I am quite sure that the final product will be a normal ascended gear item (with a glowing effect).

Could be, though I saw that the glowing effect has its own dye level so you can change the color of the glow effects. I'm not sure if other armor has that yet in the game.

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> > I saw that the glowing effect has its own dye level so you can change the color of the glow effects. I'm not sure if other armor has that yet in the game.

> There are several like this white mantle mask from LWS3.

Full armor sets or just random pieces?

> @"Cynder.2509" said:

> My suggestion: You'll unlock the first batch with the story (as stated in the trailer) and the rest is obtainable through the new raid wing :/

> The armor looks just too much of a legendary to me so I guess it's tied to Mythwright Gambit in the end

That would put so many people off if Anet locks something behind the raids again

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > I saw that the glowing effect has its own dye level so you can change the color of the glow effects. I'm not sure if other armor has that yet in the game.

> > There are several like this white mantle mask from LWS3.

>

> Full armor sets or just random pieces?

both

> @"Kalendraf.9521" said:

> > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > @"Kalendraf.9521" said:

> > > > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > > On my main Ranger i've been sporting the Ornate Guild armor (with human Falconer mask) since the day I finally crafted it.

> > > > But i've always been somewhat disappointed that there isn't a ridiculously more expensive elite version of it that I could persue.

> > > > It wouldn't need to be legendary or ascended. (although having a ** legendary guild armor set** would be cool)

> > > > Mearly just a skin that requires a great deal of work to obtain.

> > > Having a legendary guild armor set would be fantastic! Making it equivalently hard to obtain as other legendary armors, such as needing a very high number of Guild Commendations, would help promote players to join guilds and participate in guild missions too. Unfortunately, ANet has basically abandoned making any further guild updates...which is bizarre considering it's the first word in the title of the game.

> > >

> >

> > Maybe we should petition for more guild related stuff.

> > Just thinking about missions etc I can't recall a single one that exists in any of the HoT, PoF or living world maps..

> > Are there any?

> > Talk about a missed opportunity if there isnt.

> > At least alliances are on the table these days but still, more guild stuff should always be a focus on some level for Guildwars lol

> The primary guild-related updates we've gotten in the expansions are the Guild Halls. They also added several guild recipes for armor, weapons, inscriptions and insignias that use Crystalline Ore, which seems to be a huge mistake at this point. Crystalline Ore is a relatively scarce resource, but it requires thousands of ore to unlock all the skins, and outside of once or twice a month when you can buy a max of 3 per day using guild commendations, they can only be obtained in HoT. Thus, the main set of unique guild skins is exclusive to those guild members that own HoT, and on top of that those players need to grind a single map (DS) over and over to get the ore. For fairness to PoF-only players, ANet should either revise the current guild recipes to remove crystalline ore as a requirement, or make equivalent recipes using a PoF material to obtain them.

>

> Thus far, all the guild missions are restricted to the Tyria maps, but that does allow missions to be accessible to all players, regardless of which expansions they own or LS chapters they have unlocked.

Yea I know the struggle XD

My main has been running a set of medium ornate guild armor for a long time now.. and it took a long time to stockpile that Crystaline ore, mostly because the ore is RNG based and i'm by far the unluckest player in Gw2 when it comes to RNG XD

Back when I was farming for my armor I once looted a Dragon Stand map and didn't find a single crystaline ore.. I was so mad I rage quit the game for a few days XD

Would be nice if Crystaline ore was more easily available.. I see no reason why it cant be obtained from PoF maps.

I enjoy Dragon Stand but we need more ways to obtain it.

> @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > @"Kalendraf.9521" said:

> > > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > > @"Kalendraf.9521" said:

> > > > > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > > > On my main Ranger i've been sporting the Ornate Guild armor (with human Falconer mask) since the day I finally crafted it.

> > > > > But i've always been somewhat disappointed that there isn't a ridiculously more expensive elite version of it that I could persue.

> > > > > It wouldn't need to be legendary or ascended. (although having a ** legendary guild armor set** would be cool)

> > > > > Mearly just a skin that requires a great deal of work to obtain.

> > > > Having a legendary guild armor set would be fantastic! Making it equivalently hard to obtain as other legendary armors, such as needing a very high number of Guild Commendations, would help promote players to join guilds and participate in guild missions too. Unfortunately, ANet has basically abandoned making any further guild updates...which is bizarre considering it's the first word in the title of the game.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Maybe we should petition for more guild related stuff.

> > > Just thinking about missions etc I can't recall a single one that exists in any of the HoT, PoF or living world maps..

> > > Are there any?

> > > Talk about a missed opportunity if there isnt.

> > > At least alliances are on the table these days but still, more guild stuff should always be a focus on some level for Guildwars lol

> > The primary guild-related updates we've gotten in the expansions are the Guild Halls. They also added several guild recipes for armor, weapons, inscriptions and insignias that use Crystalline Ore, which seems to be a huge mistake at this point. Crystalline Ore is a relatively scarce resource, but it requires thousands of ore to unlock all the skins, and outside of once or twice a month when you can buy a max of 3 per day using guild commendations, they can only be obtained in HoT. Thus, the main set of unique guild skins is exclusive to those guild members that own HoT, and on top of that those players need to grind a single map (DS) over and over to get the ore. For fairness to PoF-only players, ANet should either revise the current guild recipes to remove crystalline ore as a requirement, or make equivalent recipes using a PoF material to obtain them.

> >

> > Thus far, all the guild missions are restricted to the Tyria maps, but that does allow missions to be accessible to all players, regardless of which expansions they own or LS chapters they have unlocked.

>

> Yea I know the struggle XD

> My main has been running a set of medium ornate guild armor for a long time now.. and it took a long time to stockpile that Crystaline ore, mostly because the ore is RNG based and i'm by far the unluckest player in Gw2 when it comes to RNG XD

> Back when I was farming for my armor I once looted a Dragon Stand map and didn't find a single crystaline ore.. I was so mad I rage quit the game for a few days XD

> Would be nice if Crystaline ore was more easily available.. I see no reason why it cant be obtained from PoF maps.

> I enjoy Dragon Stand but we need more ways to obtain it.

A better solution would be to remove crystalline ore from the Guild Recipes entirely and replace it with a guild-specific crafting material like Shimmering/Tenebrous Crystals. This would also help to provide a much-needed sink for those crystals which currently have very limited uses. They pile up really fast if you do daily mining in your GH.

> Well, in my book the easiest is pvp legendary armor. It's 100% based on participation and time, with no skill or effort (outside of regular legendary expenses) involved. WvW is probably even easier but I don't like WvW so I have no opinion.

Not sure what your experience is based on but if you have a even have a basic static group that clears 90% of the bosses each week it would still take you less then 1 pvp season to finish your legendary armor .And in that 1 season for pvp armor just to finish all the reward chests and get the first 100 tickets it would take you the same amount of time spent as for the whole raiding process and collecting the first set of Legendary Insights. After that you need to repeat it 2 more times just for the tickets and x amount of times to collect the rest of 2400 Ascended Shard of Glory.

So just starting out you are looking at 3x the time invested difference just for 1 part of the armor compared to the whole base raiding collection.

You also mentioned afk as a valid way of doing it that adds a lot of time since the whole process i described is based on my own time spent playing in plat with increased amount of pips for each win and close loss . Compared to my time spend raiding and finishing the first set of raid armor .

So how much time would it need afk the whole thing ? Well for starters your team will play 4v5 chances of them winning are almost non-existent so that means you are gonna lose all the games and get 5 pips 50% less then what you can get if you play the game and try to win .So it boils down to ~320h of afk game total for all the parts you need before adding rest of the materials that are shared with the wvw and pve set. Chances that in those 320h you are not reported by the team and suspended are low even with how lenient game devs can be . Now compare that to 3 months and lets say 50h spent in raids and that 50 is generous since good groups get better over time and clear time lowers a lot .Just the fist 3 wings took us less then 2h each week to clear and we are not even close to some of the good groups out there .

Another person also mentioned the number of ppl selling raids and boss clears that also presents drastic lack of effort when compared to people playing pvp or wvw where you cant pay for that kind of progress.

So as someone who finished pvp and raid legendary set the pve side takes a lot less time and effort especially since you can constantly play with the same group of people you like .