Can someone please explain me the difference between chronomancer core and mirage?

Axl.8924

Core mesmer uses illusions and deception to win. It provide some ultility but dont have enough damage (for pve) to be strong.

Chronomancer focuses on time. He can speed up time for allies (they are quicker and have faster cd recharge) and slow opponents. Also he can resumon phantasms that already died which can increse dps compared to core mesmer. Finaly he can travel few seconds back in time which can be used to cast powerful spells 2 times. In pve he is either supporting allies or he uses phantasms to do ok damage.

Mirage focus on clones and avoiding damage. He cannot dodge but instead become ghostlike when dodging. This doesnt interupt casting and also makes his next atack stronger. In pve he is usualy condition dps. Since he uses core mesmer that has acces to huge number of ultility options he can exchange ultility spel for what is needed for very small dps loss (compared to other classes doing that)

His main mechanic is called mirage cloak and it is basicaly distortion (invurnability). Once he gain mirage cloak his next basic atack is ambush -> much stronger. He gain acces to mirrors and if he shatter them he gain mirage cloak. Also there is a trait that whenever you gain mirage cloak all of your clones do to (and ambush). The main diference is this.

If normal class dodge its a dps loss and skill might be canceled.

If mirage dodge not only is it no dps loss but you also gain bonus damage.

Dodges are resource, you want to use them for damage but you also want them to be ready to dodge

Edit: you also gain mirage cloak instead of dodge roll when dodging

> @"Axl.8924" said:

> Just curious is mirage more of a mobile spec with dps? whats the real changes they have?

>

> If i get path of fire what can i expect?

Both Mirage and Chrono are capable of being damage orientated specs.

**Chronomancer** however, primarily excels at defensive, boon share support builds. Raids run two chrono support in all their raids by default for this reason. Tanking, providing permanent quickness and alacrity to the team, being able to have the team block and avoid mechanics, pulling adds into the group to cleave them down. It just carries a party to victory. In SPvP Chronomancer is a sort of heavily defensive bruiser. Does okay at team fighting and side noding. In WvW Minstrel Support chrono is one of the best things to have in a zerg.

In terms of flavor, chronomancer is all about manipulating time through adjusting and speeding up your and your ally cooldowns and speed while slowing down your enemy's speed. It's damage is far more reliant on phantasms than anything else. It's most fun and unique ability is Continuum Split, which creates a point where you will reset in time. After a certain amount of time based on how many illusions you shattered you will return to the location you cast Continuum Split at with your cooldowns returning to what they were when you cast the ability as well, basically allowing you to spam your best and most powerful skills twice.

**Mirage** was billed as being more deceptive and blending in with it's clones. This was really not the case I feel. Mirage is all about amping up the intangibility of mesmers to godly levels. If makes you feel like Kitty Pryde, Lemillion, or Obito Uchiha in terms of people throwing attack after attack at you and you just phase through them not caring at all.

Mirage's core gameplay revolves around using endurance and Mirage Cloak, you new dodge that allows you to cast skills while dodging, and ambush attacks. In PvE it can be a solid DPS spec, and has unreal potential on Soulless Horror and Cairn the indomitable because of Condi Mirage's ability to stack ungodly levels of confusion as well as how fast those particular bosses cast skills.

Overall it's a very selfish DPS spec and all it can really do is DPS whereas Chronomancer has the option to do either solid power dps or god tier support. Mirage sword is one of the best skills any class has ever been given and turns it into a godly speedster with monstrous mobility. Axe and scepter ambushes are massive condition bombs, greatsword does respectable chip damage (Which after a greatsword burst is often all you need), and staff's ambush does a solid bit of condition damage and providing boons for you.

In PvP, Mirage is godly duelist, especially as a WvW roamer where it can run Dire/Trailblazer stats. It has stealth, it has clones, it has massive condition bombs, it has almost daredevil evasive capabilities. Power Greatsword Mirage helps patch out some of the weaknesses of classic Greatsword shatter by giving you access to better clone generation, condition removal and the ability to evade while using your burst. Condition Mirage is just a monster.

Overall both are fun, both fill different niches. Both excel at different things and in different areas. Really it's one of the best splits for elite specializations for giving each a dedicated niche and areas of valid use compared.

Because of the Distortion mechanic replacing the normal dodge roll, Mirage plays differently from every other class in the game. It requires constant defensive movement, which I personally did not like for two reasons:

1. This game already feels like sensory overload in too many fights, without adding constant movement as another complication.

2. I see an incoming attack. I distort as I try to run out of the AOE (which any other class would just dodge roll) and the distortion fades just in time for me to get hit anyway. Super annoying.

So, I gave up on Mirage, switched to a DPS Chronomancer and haven't looked back.