Dagger main hand needs a look at (pvp/wvw)

Eleazar.9478

Let me start off by saying I love how dagger feels, as comboing the skill 3 with 2 and 1 really make dagger feel nice.

However without utility it sucks in pvp situations. It asks you to go get close and brawl with the enemy without the tools to do it.

Some ideas would be make the skill 2 a daze or convert 1 boon, you have to be inside the opponents booty anyways to land it might as well make it rewarding. Or maybe make it a projectile destruction or perhaps make the skill 3 a evade.

Also please give the damn thing some power damage, everything about soulbeast screams hybrid yet out main hand dagger is full condi. We need some spike damage if we're going to get close to the enemy like that.

as you only have small windows to apply close range damage before the enemy repostions/dodges/invuln/cleaves/aoe bombs you.

Hell I found the soulbeast npc in desolation and he's all 'it takes courage to get in close" well hell anet give us the ability to do so.

> @Eleazar.9478 said:

> I really like the suggestions, a daze would be nice so it could proc our traits (witch out side of pets and spike trap and sb 5 condition ranger dosntbhave any cc.

>

> What do you all think of it getting some power damage too? Since soulbeast is at least on paper trying to be a hybrid spec

I think the Power damage is actually decent now that they have reduced the cast times of the middle two skills, I'll calculate it later on.

> @"Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582" said:

> > @Eleazar.9478 said:

> > I really like the suggestions, a daze would be nice so it could proc our traits (witch out side of pets and spike trap and sb 5 condition ranger dosntbhave any cc.

> >

> > What do you all think of it getting some power damage too? Since soulbeast is at least on paper trying to be a hybrid spec

>

> I think the Power damage is actually decent now that they have reduced the cast times of the middle two skills, I'll calculate it later on.

Just tried it full zerk doesn't even break 1k, that's all I ask is that it is 400- 500 on the auto, other wise it's near worthless in hybrid builds. (Yes I know it's a condition weapon but considering our spec is a hybrid dps spec you would think it would be closer to axe in damage

> @Eleazar.9478 said:

> > @"Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582" said:

> > > @Eleazar.9478 said:

> > > I really like the suggestions, a daze would be nice so it could proc our traits (witch out side of pets and spike trap and sb 5 condition ranger dosntbhave any cc.

> > >

> > > What do you all think of it getting some power damage too? Since soulbeast is at least on paper trying to be a hybrid spec

> >

> > I think the Power damage is actually decent now that they have reduced the cast times of the middle two skills, I'll calculate it later on.

>

> Just tried it full zerk doesn't even break 1k, that's all I ask is that it is 400- 500 on the auto, other wise it's near worthless in hybrid builds. (Yes I know it's a condition weapon but considering our spec is a hybrid dps spec you would think it would be closer to axe in damage

Go and calculate the actual power damage on the AA, it's pretty close to sword with zero condi damage now they removed 0.5s from the AA chain. The power damage is also better than Ricochet.

Per hit it is nowhere near the other weapons, but DPS it is.

> @"Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582" said:

> > @Eleazar.9478 said:

> > > @"Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582" said:

> > > > @Eleazar.9478 said:

> > > > I really like the suggestions, a daze would be nice so it could proc our traits (witch out side of pets and spike trap and sb 5 condition ranger dosntbhave any cc.

> > > >

> > > > What do you all think of it getting some power damage too? Since soulbeast is at least on paper trying to be a hybrid spec

> > >

> > > I think the Power damage is actually decent now that they have reduced the cast times of the middle two skills, I'll calculate it later on.

> >

> > Just tried it full zerk doesn't even break 1k, that's all I ask is that it is 400- 500 on the auto, other wise it's near worthless in hybrid builds. (Yes I know it's a condition weapon but considering our spec is a hybrid dps spec you would think it would be closer to axe in damage

>

> Go and calculate the actual power damage on the AA, it's pretty close to sword with zero condi damage now they removed 0.5s from the AA chain. The power damage is also better than Ricochet.

>

> Per hit it is nowhere near the other weapons, but DPS it is.

Fair enough, that's interesting thanks for the testing

I'm just trying to think of a fun build to use it in, it's just you have to be so close and with all the aoe condition and power damage, it's hard to get small single target melee with out spike damage or real condition burst although. if we got a daze like you mentioned I can really see it being able to land the hits. Mainly trying to get those aa chains rolling.

> @Eleazar.9478 said:

> > @"Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582" said:

> > > @Eleazar.9478 said:

> > > > @"Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582" said:

> > > > > @Eleazar.9478 said:

> > > > > I really like the suggestions, a daze would be nice so it could proc our traits (witch out side of pets and spike trap and sb 5 condition ranger dosntbhave any cc.

> > > > >

> > > > > What do you all think of it getting some power damage too? Since soulbeast is at least on paper trying to be a hybrid spec

> > > >

> > > > I think the Power damage is actually decent now that they have reduced the cast times of the middle two skills, I'll calculate it later on.

> > >

> > > Just tried it full zerk doesn't even break 1k, that's all I ask is that it is 400- 500 on the auto, other wise it's near worthless in hybrid builds. (Yes I know it's a condition weapon but considering our spec is a hybrid dps spec you would think it would be closer to axe in damage

> >

> > Go and calculate the actual power damage on the AA, it's pretty close to sword with zero condi damage now they removed 0.5s from the AA chain. The power damage is also better than Ricochet.

> >

> > Per hit it is nowhere near the other weapons, but DPS it is.

>

> Fair enough, that's interesting thanks for the testing

>

> I'm just trying to think of a fun build to use it in, it's just you have to be so close and with all the aoe condition and power damage, it's hard to get small single target melee with out spike damage or real condition burst although. if we got a daze like you mentioned I can really see it being able to land the hits. Mainly trying to get those aa chains rolling.

>

>

It's really quite different to our other weapons, it's more like the SB than the sword, but yeah, I would prefer to see it made as a condi-burst hybrid weapon, so that it deals massive damage while you are attacking, but it ramps down very fast if you stop. What I would do is flip the durations and stack counts, so for instance instead of the AA conditions being 1 stack for 4s, I would make them 4 stacks for 1s. It would behave like a power weapon as far as burst goes. I'd like to use it with grievers and ferocity stacking, but I think vipers is still going to deal more dps.

I made an extensive [**feedback thread/commentary**](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/6203/soulbeast-feedback-dagger "feedback thread/commentary") regarding the Soulbeast Dagger in the subforum, in short,

+ The damage and dps aspect is fine, but the utility aspect is very lacking

+ Currently feels **High Risk, Low Reward**

+ Attack 2, **Double Arc**, should become an evade (and have a different animation)

+ Attack 3, **Instinctive Engage**, should have a very short daze (0.25s) to interrupt enemies (and synergize with Minor Trait **Twice as Vicious** among others)

Wouldn't affect the DPS too much but add great utility, more survival capabilities and more versatility in PvP and WvW settings

> @terrorshard.3854 said:

> Dagger is not viable in spvp right now. Too much aoe, and it is burst gameplay. No room for a slow building condi weapon that has no defense. You'll be dead before you even hit the last hit of AA.

Yeah. This is why Heimskarl's idea is particularly interesting. I don't see Anet flipping the numbers to 4 stacks with 1s duration on the autos, but 2 stacks at 2s possibly.

the just took the animation from thiefs dagger and put it into dagger 3 for ranger. lame. > @ProtoMarcus.7649 said:

> + Skill 3 needs **a short daze** _(like 0.25s)_ - this adds synergy to the trait **Twice as Vicious**

> + Skill 2 needs an **evade frame** (and a different animation) for added utility

and +1 this. the ranger has nothing compared to other dagger-users. nothing to stun, nothing to stealth, nothing to evade. nothing to survive the damage-mess when constesting points at all.