Playable Awakened?

kierner.1956

Hey,

I hope this is right place to ask for it, is it possible that we can get an option to play as awakened? I know there will be no new race anytime soon if ever but if I can play as elonian human now maybe I could play as awakened human?? I think it would be cool and now while they are free from Joko it would be rather correct according to story.

• ArenaNet Staff

The Awakened are basically my favorite - of course, I'm biased from having worked on a ton of their content in Path of Fire (and now here.) I do think they are far more interesting as allies, and it was nice to work with that again this episode.

That said, we've talked before about the high difficulty of adding another playable race, so it's pretty unlikely they would be made playable in GW2. There IS an Awakened Tonic from Episode 1 you could use for roleplay purposes. :)

> @"Connor Fallon.9408" said:

> The Awakened are basically my favorite - of course, I'm biased from having worked on a ton of their content in Path of Fire (and now here.) I do think they are far more interesting as allies, and it was nice to work with that again this episode.

>

> That said, we've talked before about the high difficulty of adding another playable race, so it's pretty unlikely they would be made playable in GW2. There IS an Awakened Tonic from Episode 1 you could use for roleplay purposes. :)

Couldn’t a solution be to just add some ’awakened options‘ to the human character creation? I mean in the end they are more or less humans right? How about some skin colors that gives some kind of appearance of awakened?

> @"mortrialus.3062" said:

> Do you think there is a possibility of adding a few of the decrepit looking skin textures we see some of the less deformed humans into something like the Total Makeover Kit?

Decrepit skin tones complete with the modifier they have on awakened voices, let players' headcanon do the rest? Maybe?

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Nash.3974" said:

> > @"Connor Fallon.9408" said:

> > The Awakened are basically my favorite - of course, I'm biased from having worked on a ton of their content in Path of Fire (and now here.) I do think they are far more interesting as allies, and it was nice to work with that again this episode.

> >

> > That said, we've talked before about the high difficulty of adding another playable race, so it's pretty unlikely they would be made playable in GW2. There IS an Awakened Tonic from Episode 1 you could use for roleplay purposes. :)

>

> Couldn’t a solution be to just add some ’awakened options‘ to the human character creation? I mean in the end they are more or less humans right? How about some skin colors that gives some kind of appearance of awakened?

It's an interesting thought. My understanding is that this is also very technically difficult, as changing skin texture is not a standard element of Human character creation (Also, a lot of those skins are on the Creature versions of the species). It would also be strange if people could stumble into making an Awakened at the start of the game without knowing what that entailed (Though I see someone suggested the makeover kit, you could still use that fairly early on)

There is a lot of other that comes with being awakened, like different voice processing, which if we wanted to give you would add baggage to every time the PC speaks.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Vavume.8065" said:

> >@"Connor Fallon.9408" said:

>

> > That said, we've talked before about the high difficulty of adding another playable race

>

> It's unfortunate that this games development is strangled by it's story.

I just want to counter this sentiment - it isn't just story that makes implementing this difficult, it's everything. New animations, New UI, making existing armor sets work for everyone (which is already hard), making sure all content that has racial variants doesn't break as the result of a sudden new options.

Every new race multiplies the scope of everything a ton. Honestly, story is probably one of the lesser burdens.

• ArenaNet Staff

> I just want to counter this sentiment - it isn't just story that makes implementing this difficult, it's everything. New animations, New UI, making existing armor sets work for everyone (which is already hard), making sure everything that has racial variants doesn't break as the result of a sudden new options.

I can confirm, as a former Living World animator (the Living World Animation team generally creates in-game animations; the Cinematics team, which I am currently on, creates cutscenes), that the creation of new animations alone would take a very, very (prohibitively) long time. I started counting the amount of player character animations we currently have and gave up at around 200. So already we have a scope problem - and that's before we've started considering all the other challenges Connor brought up!

> > @"Vavume.8065" said:

> > >@"Connor Fallon.9408" said:

> >

> > > That said, we've talked before about the high difficulty of adding another playable race

> >

> > It's unfortunate that this games development is strangled by it's story.

>

> I just want to counter this sentiment - it isn't just story that makes implementing this difficult, it's everything. New animations, New UI, making existing armor sets work for everyone (which is already hard), making sure all content that has racial variants doesn't break as the result of a sudden new options.

>

> Every new race multiplies the scope of everything a ton. Honestly, story is probably one of the lesser burdens.

I‘m actually glad to hear this because I always felt like the given argument was that story wouldn’t allow future new playable races. But I wouldn’t understand why, I mean in the end of the day you can always create the lore the way you want. And in a fantasy game world not everything has to make scientific sense ?

Also I know this is a shallow argument but nobody would care about the fact if it makes sense to play the new race or not, people just want it I guess. And I mean the new races shouldn’t even get to play the normal personal story the other races have, but yeah I guess it’s difficult.

> @"Nash.3974" said:

> > The Awakened are basically my favorite - of course, I'm biased from having worked on a ton of their content in Path of Fire (and now here.) I do think they are far more interesting as allies, and it was nice to work with that again this episode.

> >

> > That said, we've talked before about the high difficulty of adding another playable race, so it's pretty unlikely they would be made playable in GW2. There IS an Awakened Tonic from Episode 1 you could use for roleplay purposes. :)

>

> Couldn’t a solution be to just add some ’awakened options‘ to the human character creation? I mean in the end they are more or less humans right? How about some skin colors that gives some kind of appearance of awakened?

My Awakened Commander would need a a Total Makeover kit/race change kit for this, I use the darkest skin and celestial hair but still missing something here are a few screenshots, Sorry for pour Quality it's what I have to play on:

https://imgur.com/ykHuphQ

https://imgur.com/5efG87V

https://imgur.com/fRnfQ2u

https://imgur.com/388n1Pl

https://imgur.com/dNExBod

https://imgur.com/4BtvYL3

> There is a lot of other that comes with being awakened, like different voice processing, which if we wanted to give you would add baggage to every time the PC speaks.

A couple of games out there allow you to modulate the character voice with a kind of autotune slider. I know would I would love to tweak the voices of my alternate toons that share a race and sex in order to differentiate them. Something to think about for the next version of the game.

> > @"Nash.3974" said:

> > > @"Connor Fallon.9408" said:

> > > The Awakened are basically my favorite - of course, I'm biased from having worked on a ton of their content in Path of Fire (and now here.) I do think they are far more interesting as allies, and it was nice to work with that again this episode.

> > >

> > > That said, we've talked before about the high difficulty of adding another playable race, so it's pretty unlikely they would be made playable in GW2. There IS an Awakened Tonic from Episode 1 you could use for roleplay purposes. :)

> >

> > Couldn’t a solution be to just add some ’awakened options‘ to the human character creation? I mean in the end they are more or less humans right? How about some skin colors that gives some kind of appearance of awakened?

>

> It's an interesting thought. My understanding is that this is also very technically difficult, as changing skin texture is not a standard element of Human character creation (Also, a lot of those skins are on the Creature versions of the species). It would also be strange if people could stumble into making an Awakened at the start of the game without knowing what that entailed (Though I see someone suggested the makeover kit, you could still use that fairly early on)

>

> There is a lot of other that comes with being awakened, like different voice processing, which if we wanted to give you would add baggage to every time the PC speaks.

Well this might be true but in the end this is all for roleplay only, if we are honest it’s strange already that my elonian themed character gets labeled by the path of fire npcs as ‘outlander‘ even though I don’t look like one and actually look like I‘m from there, you know what I mean? There is always immersion breaking in some ways so I don’t think that should be too much of an issue right?

> > @"Vavume.8065" said:

> > >@"Connor Fallon.9408" said:

> >

> > > That said, we've talked before about the high difficulty of adding another playable race

> >

> > It's unfortunate that this games development is strangled by it's story.

>

> I just want to counter this sentiment - it isn't just story that makes implementing this difficult, it's everything. New animations, New UI, making existing armor sets work for everyone (which is already hard), making sure all content that has racial variants doesn't break as the result of a sudden new options.

>

> Every new race multiplies the scope of everything a ton. Honestly, story is probably one of the lesser burdens.

So just a question. We know there are awakened that use the standard human skeleton rig, animations, and model but have unique skin textures to look undead. They don't look like Joko or the average rank and file soldier in his army but they're clearly awakened. Examples include:

![](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/1/19/Awakened_Servant.jpg "")

![](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/1/17/Awakened_Archon_Iberu.jpg "")

![](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/d/d8/Warden_Amala.jpg "")

How hard would it be to add additional skin colors to the human Total Make Over kit that's something like "Awakened Light, Awakened Medium, Awakened Brown, Awakened Dark" that gives you this skin texture with a variety of skin tones? Maybe throw this towards the people in charge of that.

> @"mortrialus.3062" said:

> > > @"Vavume.8065" said:

> > > >@"Connor Fallon.9408" said:

> > >

> > > > That said, we've talked before about the high difficulty of adding another playable race

> > >

> > > It's unfortunate that this games development is strangled by it's story.

> >

> > I just want to counter this sentiment - it isn't just story that makes implementing this difficult, it's everything. New animations, New UI, making existing armor sets work for everyone (which is already hard), making sure all content that has racial variants doesn't break as the result of a sudden new options.

> >

> > Every new race multiplies the scope of everything a ton. Honestly, story is probably one of the lesser burdens.

>

> So just a question. We know there are awakened that use the standard human skeleton rig, animations, and model but have unique skin textures to look undead. They don't look like Joko or the average rank and file soldier in his armor but they're clearly awakened. Examples include:

>

> ![](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/1/19/Awakened_Servant.jpg "")

> ![](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/1/17/Awakened_Archon_Iberu.jpg "")

> ![](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/d/d8/Warden_Amala.jpg "")

>

> How hard would it be to added additional skin colors to the human Total Make Over kit that's something like "Awakened Light, Awakened Medium, Awakened Brown, Awakened Dark" that gives you this skin texture with a variety of skin tones? Maybe throw this towards the people in charge of that.

Wow good job finding this, now I can’t live anymore without this happening lol! How cool would that be!!!