Are Slayer Potions Useful for Anything?

broFenix.1632

I'm just coming back from a 2 1/2 year hiatus and have been playing Heart of Thorns to catch up. I have a few slayer potions in my inventory, such as "Powerful Potion of Slaying Scarlet's Armies" and "Powerful Potion of Undead Slaying." I used to use these slayer potions for dungeons but it seems when checking LFG that almost no one runs dungeons anymore. So my question is, are slayer potions useful for anything anymore in GW2 and are there better potions/utility effects to use in Fractals and Raids than slayer potions?

Thank you.

There are two aetherblade fractals so Scarlet's armies potion should be better than anything else there. They're pretty good actually, but I guess people don't use them out of convenience (having to constantly switch potion when entering another fractal). They rather just pop a sharpening stone or a tuning crystal (myself included).

Potions have largely been abandoned by ArenaNet, there's no potions for all the new types of enemies in the game.

People do run dungeons, you meet them at the dungeon entrance and not via LFG..almost no one uses LFG for anything. The only time people have a need for it is swapping map instances (i.e for metas) or gathering fractal and raid groups of specific compositions.

Slaying potions are still useful in Fractals, for power classes (condi classes favor condi food over slaying potions). But I don't think many people bother with it (or switching weapons for daytime and nighttime Fractals, for the sigils). Personally I do on my Dragonhunter. He's got nearly full stacks of all appropriate slaying potions in his inventory. But you've got to keep your wits about, since some Fractals require you to switch slaying potions during the run (Snowblind, Volcanic or Underground Facility, for instance). So you'll also never use it for the full duration of 1 hour, but merely for a few minutes. Unless you're stuck with inexperienced pugs, of course. ;)

> @"Hannelore.8153" said:

> almost no one uses LFG for anything.

If I was looking for more, I'd never start my search by navigating all the way to a dungeon entrance on the off chance someone in that instance was interested. The reason we don't see LFG populated is LFM groups fill up quickly and people get impatient as LFG, so usually just start their own. Since dungeons can be done with fewer than five people running 'modern' builds (even without being among the raid/fractal crowd), a lot of groups will go with as few as two instead of waiting.

In other words, lots of people use LFG (for dungeons), even though at any given moment, we might not see anyone using it.

Thank you so much for your comments everyone! I agree, it seems like slayer potions are still useful for dungeons and for certain fractals, but in general are more of a hassle than using sharpening stones or tuning crystals as your utility buff. I'm going to keep my Scarlet slaying potions but otherwise just using my tuning crystals :) The slayer potions are cheap anyways besides the Scarlet slaying potions, so not at all expensive to buy them again.

And yeah, I think people do use the LFG tool for dungeons and fractals, but groups fill up so quickly we don't see many advertised. I definitely would not travel to the entrance of a dungeon first to check if there was a group, rather use LFG and keep playing some content I am currently.