Sword Nerfs? (Nvm heard it was actually a buff)

Kam.4092

> @"Kuya.6495" said:

> This is why knee jerk reactions post patch are usually a bad idea. Always wait to get mad after the math comes in.

The issue is 7% overall buff is not going to make sword a good choice for power or FB builds in pve. Ya, it is better than before, but not where it needs to be.

Kinda like last patch hammer and LB PvE buffs. Surely they are better than before, but still not good enough (granted sword is much better than either of them).

I don’t understand why everyone thinks Sword needs to be better, or even damage with Scepter. It already is used for AoE, high movement fights, and cleave. I use it a lot in Fractals already. The cleave and AoE was buffed, and feels great now too. We had a trade off, but a 7% Damage buff isn’t something to shrug off for a weapon that’s already used in all game modes.

Weapons that need serious buffs when it comes to Guardian, are Hammer, and Longbow, for PvE anyway. Lowering the aftercast on Symbol of Protection, and lowering activation time on Zealot’s Embrace is a start, also I wish Hammer did more than Protection now.

Longbow is a more complex weapon to me, and I don’t know how to go about buffing it, since I don’t PvP with it, and don’t have a roaming set for WvW. Main thing I always wanted, back when it was in the PvE meta was for True Shot to have its root removed.

Overall I like where Sword, Scepter, Focus, Torch, Shield, Greatsword, Axe, Staff, and Mace are. I just think Longbow and Hammer need to be worked on more. It’s just wait around, and see when they focus on them.

> @"kasoki.5180" said:

> Can we get a link to benchmark proof that says its 7% increase in dps. I find it very hard to believe that 0.25 sec of aftercast outperforms 18% and 10% damage nerf to two skills.

It’s been said by DnT, and others. Aftercasts are a huge way to buff skills and weapons. The third Sword auto now hits faster, and chains into the first auto attack faster. I don’t like that the other two auto chain attacks got nerfed, but it is still a pretty big cleave and AoE buff.

They also made the attack hit faster. It basically just sped up damage, and they removed the pause of the final auto attack. Lowering aftercasts also enables the use of other skills faster.

> @"Fipmip.7219" said:

> are gamers the most embarrassing fanbase? Here we see a group of like minded enthusiasts unabashedly discussing something they haven't verified and their readiness to instantly fly into a rage.

It does seem that outrage is something that gamers specialize in, doesn't it?

> @"Kuya.6495" said:

> > @"Fipmip.7219" said:

> > are gamers the most embarrassing fanbase? Here we see a group of like minded enthusiasts unabashedly discussing something they haven't verified and their readiness to instantly fly into a rage.

>

> It does seem that outrage is something that gamers specialize in, doesn't it?

Well I did this at first, and I made the thread. I edited it after learning it was a buff. I honestly had to ask raiders and theorycrafters that I know in Discords to get this info. The talk of aftercast confused me so much. I think in general, GW2 has a lot of mechanics people get confused at, like break bar damage, and combo fields. It’s not a bad thing, it just is something most players don’t understand, so I see why other players and me got confused at first, and just read the changes as a straight up nerf.

> @"kasoki.5180" said:

> Can we get a link to benchmark proof that says its 7% increase in dps. I find it very hard to believe that 0.25 sec of aftercast outperforms 18% and 10% damage nerf to two skills.

it is well known fact among those who ever did DPS maths in any MMO that attack speed increase is easiest way to improve DPS greatly because oftenly x% buff to attack speed will provide more DPS increase than same x% buff to damage number.

as for sword autochain - third skill was always and still is "the" meaty hitter from the 3. I won't give you % increase in attack speed due to aftercast buff because I don't have prepatch numbers on precast-cast-aftercast for the chain, but it seems enought to outperform lowering already the low damage hits.

> @"Lord Trejgon.2809" said:

> > @"kasoki.5180" said:

> > Can we get a link to benchmark proof that says its 7% increase in dps. I find it very hard to believe that 0.25 sec of aftercast outperforms 18% and 10% damage nerf to two skills.

>

> it is well known fact among those who ever did DPS maths in any MMO that attack speed increase is easiest way to improve DPS greatly because oftenly x% buff to attack speed will provide more DPS increase than same x% buff to damage number.

>

> as for sword autochain - third skill was always and still is "the" meaty hitter from the 3. I won't give you % increase in attack speed due to aftercast buff because I don't have prepatch numbers on precast-cast-aftercast for the chain, but it seems enought to outperform lowering already the low damage hits.

Yes, thank you all. i am familiar with the logic that attacking more often means more damage :D

My issue is/was with the specific numbers, not the gameplay behind it

> @"kasoki.5180" said:

I found this on Reddit:

Chain went from 2.325 to 2.045 seconds.

The power of the chain went from 3.1 to 2.891.

2.891/2.045 is 1.414 power/second

3.1/2.325 is 1.333 power/second.

1.414/1.333 is 1.06027, making it a 6.03% buff.

> @"kasoki.5180" said:

> > @"Lord Trejgon.2809" said:

> > > @"kasoki.5180" said:

> > > Can we get a link to benchmark proof that says its 7% increase in dps. I find it very hard to believe that 0.25 sec of aftercast outperforms 18% and 10% damage nerf to two skills.

> >

> > it is well known fact among those who ever did DPS maths in any MMO that attack speed increase is easiest way to improve DPS greatly because oftenly x% buff to attack speed will provide more DPS increase than same x% buff to damage number.

> >

> > as for sword autochain - third skill was always and still is "the" meaty hitter from the 3. I won't give you % increase in attack speed due to aftercast buff because I don't have prepatch numbers on precast-cast-aftercast for the chain, but it seems enought to outperform lowering already the low damage hits.

>

> Yes, thank you all. i am familiar with the logic that attacking more often means more damage :D

>

> My issue is/was with the specific numbers, not the gameplay behind it

well my point kinda was that for paper DPS rof increase gives more/easier benefits than upping the damage of each hit ;)

buuut guy above gave specific numbers above - the ones I lacked ;)

> @"RabbitUp.8294" said:

> > @"kasoki.5180" said:

> > Can we get a link to benchmark proof that says its 7% increase in dps. I find it very hard to believe that 0.25 sec of aftercast outperforms 18% and 10% damage nerf to two skills.

>

> I found this on Reddit:

>

> Chain went from 2.325 to 2.045 seconds.

> The power of the chain went from 3.1 to 2.891.

> 2.891/2.045 is 1.414 power/second

> 3.1/2.325 is 1.333 power/second.

> 1.414/1.333 is 1.06027, making it a 6.03% buff.

Thank you. Thats what I was looking for. We can now close this case I guess :D