[Suggestion] Armor Unlock <> Weapon Unlock ?

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> I believe they won't change it because future updates can always include new skins to unlock

This has not been the case **in years** for armor skins, since they have to be of _rare_ quality or below. All later added armor has been skins only (from the Gem Store or, like recently, from the Requiem collection), and the ones that were actual armor pieces have been of exotic or legendary quality (so they cannot be obtained via Armor Unlocks).

Therefore, these items are useless to anyone who has all rare and below armor skins already unlocked. Also, as mentioned, I have 30+ of those, so even if anything gets added, I will most likely _never_ be able to use up all of them - and more will accumulate over time with further BLC openings, unless ANet changes something or makes them interexchangeable with Weapon or Wardrobe Unlocks.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > I believe they won't change it because future updates can always include new skins to unlock

>

> This has not been the case **in years** for armor skins, since they have to be of _rare_ quality or below. All later added armor has been skins only (from the Gem Store or, like recently, from the Requiem collection), and the ones that were actual armor pieces have been of exotic or legendary quality (so they cannot be obtained via Armor Unlocks).

>

> Therefore, these items are useless to anyone who has all rare and below armor skins already unlocked. Also, as mentioned, I have 30+ of those, so even if anything gets added, I will most likely _never_ be able to use up all of them - and more will accumulate over time with further BLC openings, unless ANet changes something or makes them interexchangeable with Weapon or Wardrobe Unlocks.

Years? Not so.

A couple of examples:

_The Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock, Guaranteed Weapon Unlock, and Guaranteed Armor Unlock have been updated with Black Lion style items._

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2018-02-06#Improvements

_The Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock has been updated with over 100 new items, including many from the deserts of Elona. (The Guaranteed Weapon Unlock and Guaranteed Armor Unlock have also been updated appropriately.)_

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2018-06-26#New_Items_and_Promotions_2

> @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> Not going to happen, because this is the same issue you have with Teleport to Friend, Merchants Express, Bank Express, etc., etc.,. Your best option is to hold on to them until new skins become available or trash them.

Teleport to friend is always useable, no matter how many you have. The merchant and Bank expresses can be sold on the TP. They're not the same as an account bount item that has a finite number of uses. The only caveat being, technically speaking the unlocks are usable in the future, because eventually there will be new skins for them to unlock

> @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> >

> > The merchant and Bank expresses can be sold on the TP.

>

> What? No the can't! The super rare perma-contracts can be sold on the TP before use, but the single use items are all account bound.

Sorry, I thought that's what we meant, in which case, those are still always useable.

> @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > Not going to happen, because this is the same issue you have with Teleport to Friend, Merchants Express, Bank Express, etc., etc.,. Your best option is to hold on to them until new skins become available or trash them.

>

> Teleport to friend is always useable, no matter how many you have. The merchant and Bank expresses can be sold on the TP. They're not the same as an account bount item that has a finite number of uses. The only caveat being, technically speaking the unlocks are usable in the future, because eventually there will be new skins for them to unlock

Teleport to Friend might be useful for some people, but I have a stack of 250, and I've never used a single one...so for me personally they're worthless.

> @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> > @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > > @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> > >

> > > The merchant and Bank expresses can be sold on the TP.

> >

> > What? No the can't! The super rare perma-contracts can be sold on the TP before use, but the single use items are all account bound.

>

> Sorry, I thought that's what we meant, in which case, those are still always useable.

Oh absolutely!

> @"Zaklex.6308" said:

>

> Teleport to Friend might be useful for some people, but I have a stack of 250, and I've never used a single one...so for me personally they're worthless.

Worthless *but usable!* You're mixing up use*ful* and use*able* - even if you don't bother to use them, you *could*!

OPs point is that the Unlocks become *mechanically unusable*.

> > @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> > > @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > > > @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> > > >

> > > > The merchant and Bank expresses can be sold on the TP.

> > >

> > > What? No the can't! The super rare perma-contracts can be sold on the TP before use, but the single use items are all account bound.

> >

> > Sorry, I thought that's what we meant, in which case, those are still always useable.

>

> Oh absolutely!

>

> > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> >

> > Teleport to Friend might be useful for some people, but I have a stack of 250, and I've never used a single one...so for me personally they're worthless.

>

> Worthless *but usable!* You're mixing up use*ful* and use*able* - even if you don't bother to use them, you *could*!

> OPs point is that the Unlocks become *mechanically unusable*.

Let me put it this way then, since for me the Teleport is not useful that makes them unusable for me personally(see, not really mixed up, just semantics...and usable doesn't have an "e" in it).

> @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > > @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> > > > @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > > > > @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> > > > >

> > > > > The merchant and Bank expresses can be sold on the TP.

> > > >

> > > > What? No the can't! The super rare perma-contracts can be sold on the TP before use, but the single use items are all account bound.

> > >

> > > Sorry, I thought that's what we meant, in which case, those are still always useable.

> >

> > Oh absolutely!

> >

> > > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > >

> > > Teleport to Friend might be useful for some people, but I have a stack of 250, and I've never used a single one...so for me personally they're worthless.

> >

> > Worthless *but usable!* You're mixing up use*ful* and use*able* - even if you don't bother to use them, you *could*!

> > OPs point is that the Unlocks become *mechanically unusable*.

>

> Let me put it this way then, since for me the Teleport is not useful that makes them unusable for me personally(see, not really mixed up, just semantics...and usable doesn't have an "e" in it).

The point is that you could use it if you chose to, which is what @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" means by "useable". The OP can't use Armour Unlocks even if they choose to - it has no effect. Sure, if your definition of "useable" is "that you personally have use for", then they're not useable by you - but that's not what I would expect "useable" to mean, and it's not the definition Tanner is using.

Also, [the OED](http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/220628?redirectedFrom=useable#eid "the OED") lists "useable" as a valid alternative spelling of "usable".

> @"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:

> > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> >

> > Let me put it this way then, since for me the Teleport is not useful that makes them unusable for me personally(see, not really mixed up, just semantics...and usable doesn't have an "e" in it).

>

> The point is that you could use it if you chose to, which is what @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" means by "useable". The OP can't use Armour Unlocks even if they choose to - it has no effect. Sure, if your definition of "useable" is "that you personally have use for", then they're not useable by you - but that's not what I would expect "useable" to mean, and it's not the definition Tanner is using.

>

> Also, [the OED](http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/220628?redirectedFrom=useable#eid "the OED") lists "useable" as a valid alternative spelling of "usable".

This. Whether something is use*ful* or not is entirely subjective. Us*able* however is objective. "*Can* you use it?" is a yes/no question.

There are several items which can become useless - TtF when all characters have all relevant waypoints, single-use services when you own permanent ones, etc. Very few items in game actually become unusable, so it seems reasonable to ask for some kind of sollution to that in those few cases.

Now personally, I think they should do something about the use*less* items too - and I really expected the Statuettes to be that sollution. Being able to turn in BLC items for statuettes, say a 1/4 to 1/2 of what the item costs to buy, would be a *massive* qol which I really suspect would *increase* key sales over time.

• 3 months later...

Running in to the same issue as original post.

My suggestion, add two options to the first tab of the Black Lion Statuette Vendor

(1) Buy Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock for [1 x Black Lion statuette and 1 x Guaranteed Armor Unlock]

(2) Buy Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock for [1 x Black Lion statuette and 1 x Guaranteed Weapon Unlock]

As the Wardrobe unlock sells for 15 statuettes, while both the Armor and Weapon Unlocks sell for 30 I think this is more than fair, and would help resolve edge cases where people have maxed out options on one or the other.

> There are several items which can become useless - TtF when all characters have all relevant waypoints, ...

Minor point here, the TtF is useful for *far* more than getting to a waypoint. It's how you get the purple plate poi in the new map without doing story or enlisting a mesmer. It's how you get to hard to reach mastery communes, or to the VB canopy to join a friend for the guano HP. It's how you zip to join a commander zerg before the bounty you need for the achieve dies. As long as you have someone in your party or squad willing to stay in a safe bit of terrain for you to head to them, it offers massive shortcuts.

As to the bigger point, I'm not sure how ANet could smoothly fix the problem of truly useless BL items. How complex would it be to code that extra check into the rng roll as to whether the chest opener has all unlocks? How much would it slow down the rolls? Probably the best approach is not to front-load the check, but as others have suggested to let people swap out items for statuettes (or bunches of items, maybe you'd need five or ten of something before you could get a statuette, that's for their marketing team to determine).

I agree with you with the Weapon unlock, I imagine there are just a handful of people who have maxed that one out.

The Armor unlock is (comparatively) a lot easier to max out, so I imagine most of the people with this issue will have with nothing left available on the Armor unlock.

The "600" items added exactly zero items to my Armor unlock, I think a lot of the skins added must have been commonly unlocked armor exotics from crafting , maybe temple skins etc.

Granted, it's not a huge issue warranting significant amounts of Dev time, which is why I suggest adding the options to an existing merchant mechanic (Statuette Vendor) which they already regularly update the contents of anyway.

I had created a different thread some time later asking for means to exchange any type of Unlock for something else. There are so many possible options to put this to work. How about exchanging 5 or 10 Unlocks for 1 BLC key?

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> The OP was fixed with the advent of the new 600 items added to the unlock (well, the fix of the bug of the 600 items added, actually).

Yes, ANet recently added quite a few new ones (like all the dungeon armor sets), but those I have unlocked by now as well (with all the Unlocks I had saved), so now I am in the exact same situation as before. ;)

• 2 months later...

ok, I'm in the same situation now: lots (= 24 ) of armor unlocks but nothing more to unlock.

Some ideas have already been mentioned in this thread:

* add exchange possibilities to the black lion statuettes vendor (for a small fee)

* prevent these unlocks (or other unlocks) from getting out of the Black Lion's chest at all, if there is nothing left to unlock

Anet, plz do something :/