Obvious bug - TOO obvious?

Narrrz.7532

I'm sure the overwhelming majority of you have noticed that since the launch of PoF, most chests you find lying around, your character opens by repeatedly stubbing her toe against them.

I'd always just assumed this was a bug, and it seemed so blindingly obvious that i never reported it, assuming that myriad other people would have done so in my stead.

But now, it's gone on an awful long time. Not only have none of the previous 'kick' chests changed/been fixed, but more and more new content introduces more of them. I just noticed that the Mist-Touched Caches in Jahai are opened with this animation too.

Is this just some reference i'm missing? I know Link opens chests by kicking them fairly often in the legend of Zelda franchise, but the animation doesn't have much in common and lacking any other connection, the link (hoho) just feels too tenuous.

Is this actually a bug that everyone universally assumed that someone else would have reported, so it's never been brought to the devs attention?

Or is this just a minor bug that has propagated because everyone chronically delegated, and then forgot to address it when creating new objects for new content? (IK'd imagine it came about because the piles of sand were made before the lost/hidden chests &etc, then devs just kept copying that chest template without bothering to check what animation your character is flagged to use during the open interaction)

In the Zelda games there's a pretty consistent 'pattern' with the way Link opens chests. If it's a tiny, plain wooden one which is just going to contain a few rupees he flicks the catch open with his foot (the 'kick' animation) and then the item just appears overheard as you move away. If it's bigger and going to contain something moderately special like a key he'll crouch down and then lift his arms up displaying/celebrating the item before you regain control. Right up to very rare, special chests where there's a whole animation of the camera panning around as special music plays and he carefully opens it, light comes out, and then you get some info on the special item while Link displays it. (Note: I haven't played Breath of the Wild yet, but I assume this is similar to all the other 3D Zelda games.)

I always assumed it was pretty much the same implication in GW2. If your character just flicks the catch on a chest with their foot it's a message to you that they know it's not worth taking the time to bend down and open it carefully because there won't be anything special inside, so you also know not to expect anything amazing from it. This is a "cool, some free mats" chest, not an "OMG this could be my shot at a precursor!" chest.

> @"Narrrz.7532" said:

> I'm sure the overwhelming majority of you have noticed that since the launch of PoF, most chests you find lying around, your character opens by repeatedly stubbing her toe against them.

>

> I'd always just assumed this was a bug [...]

No bug. Everything that is presumably "covered by sand" uses that animation instead of the regular chest-opening one. I agree, though, that this looks weird most of the time. ;)

I agree on the oddness of the animation of kicking chests to open them, especially on chests that require a key to open them.

I've always felt that many of the interacting animations are quite disappointing and rather illogical and that many of them really need to be looked at and some effort put in to change them to possess a more fitting animation.

One such animation is that used while mining underwater where you hold your mining pick in your right hand and you 'mine' the rock with an open-palmed left hand - the pick isn't even used to mine it. I've always felt it looked like a generic, 5-seconds-of-work-to-make-it 'placeholder' animation that would be used during alpha/beta testing, but it persists to this day and has been a running joke in some communities because of how out of place it is for the action being performed.