Make clones a viable dps option

Hot Boy.7138

Phantasm builds are just a horrible design as is the anti-synergy between ambush and shatter attacks and phantasms and clones. This whole thing needs to be fixed. It's a train wreck!

In my opinion, phantasms should have a finite duration and should not count toward the 3 illusion limit (obviously, this would require a complete rework of phantasms and all skills/traits relating to them). Shatters should only destroy clones, but should provide some benefits in return (e.g. increasing duration on phantasms, a chance to re-spawn clones, buff to your next ambush, etc.). And ambush attacks just need to be more powerful. They're simply too weak considering the cost associated with burning endurance to deal damage and forced ramp-up time with clone generation for optimal damage.

The catch is that the mirage clone-ambush playstyle is one of the most enjoyable I've experienced in an MMO. I love the look and feel of axe mirage! So I hope if they can find a way to fix mesmer, they also find a way to maintain that feel.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree phantasm builds are bad design, its more so because so much of your DPS comes from passive play at that point once you have your phantasms out. If the shatter mechanic was reworked in some way such that shattering while you had phantasms out wasn't such a huge loss to sustained DPS, then they could potentially be more engaging.

> @Shiyo.3578 said:

> I want phantasms to NEVER be the best DPS spec for anything.

>

> I want shatter to ALWAYS be the top DPS spec.

I think that is also unreasonable.

In the current situation I see three distinct scenarios in which different builds can shine.

1. A single boss with lots of mechanics, so you can only directly attack less than 2/3 of the time -> 3 phantasm should be the best build

2. A main boss with possibly a few adds and high attack uptime -> 3 clone / ambush builds should be the best option

3. Any thing else, i.e. lots of mobs, burst phases, shorter living mobs -> shatter focused clone / phantasm hybrid should fare the best

There should never be one answer to everything.

On another note:

I love how this forums keeps revolving around these issues essentially for years.

Anet has either decided they don't care because "mesmer is fine" (mesmer have a presence in raids, why change a working solution) or they are fully aware of these issues, but chose not to rework the class because it's just too big of a hassle. It would take months of iterations until the shatter vs phantasm vs clone issue would be solved and in the end could end up leaving us in a worse state than now.

Just think of the time they decided to rework the leveling rewards and all they ended up is a system everybody hates because it spams players with worthless items.

> @Bod.8261 said:

> > @Shiyo.3578 said:

> > I want phantasms to NEVER be the best DPS spec for anything.

> >

> > I want shatter to ALWAYS be the top DPS spec.

>

> I think that is also unreasonable.

> In the current situation I see three distinct scenarios in which different builds can shine.

> 1. A single boss with lots of mechanics, so you can only directly attack less than 2/3 of the time -> 3 phantasm should be the best build

> 2. A main boss with possibly a few adds and high attack uptime -> 3 clone / ambush builds should be the best option

> 3. Any thing else, i.e. lots of mobs, burst phases, shorter living mobs -> shatter focused clone / phantasm hybrid should fare the best

>

> There should never be one answer to everything.

>

> On another note:

> I love how this forums keeps revolving around these issues essentially for years.

> Anet has either decided they don't care because "mesmer is fine" (mesmer have a presence in raids, why change a working solution) or they are fully aware of these issues, but chose not to rework the class because it's just too big of a hassle. It would take months of iterations until the shatter vs phantasm vs clone issue would be solved and in the end could end up leaving us in a worse state than now.

> Just think of the time they decided to rework the leveling rewards and all they ended up is a system everybody hates because it spams players with worthless items.

What I was trying to accomplish is a more active play. Phantasm builds leaves us using our phantasm summoning skills ONCE an entire fight and never using it again if things go well. And then we NEVER use our clone skills ever cause it will overwrite a phantasm. It's leaves half of our skills unused and creates a very boring inactive playstyle.

If we only needed 2 phantasms for max dps, and 1 clone, then even if we are only summoning our phantasms once, being able to use our clone skills without a dps loss will create a much more fun and active playstyle. Cause our clone skills is really where all the utility is. Blocks and swapping positions, etc. Anet is pigeon holing us into one or the other.

Well, just one, since they have effectively killed the clone mirage build. So many people seemed to enjoy that build. They could have tweaked the numbers. They could still tweak the numbers for clones to do decent condi damage and power damage that will amount to a reasonably high dps build for condi and power. But idk man, anet isn't really trying to do anything different with the mesmer class it seems.

But what i want is to be able to use all my skills as necessary without it being a huge DPS loss one way or the other. So being able to mix clones and phantasms seems like a solution that would solve that.