Is buying ToT bags and opening them worthless ?

I think for the amount of junk that you get from thousands of ToT bags, I personally don't think it's worth it opening them. You get tons of toilet paper (useless), rotten eggs (useless), 1-use tonics (useless and unsellable). At best, you get candy corn which you can at least sell back to the trading post, and the skulls/fangs/whatever the other one is that you sell to merchants because they're also pretty much junk.

I hardly ever get any good drops from the ToT bags, and I've certainly never been fortunate enough to get a drop worth over 400g, despite opening 5-6k bags. I'd encourage people to just sell their bags because the drop rates on the good items are absolutely pathetic.

> @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> I've opened all the bags I've farmed but that's because this is my first Halloween in GW2 and I need the Candy Corn. I figure I must have opened 1500bags or so since Tuesday, as I don't spend more than an hour at a time running Lab, but of those bags, as well as the large bags from completing dailies, I've so far received:

>

> 1 x Gift of Spiders

> 1 x Gift of Souls

> 1x Pumpkin Smasher

> 1x Vassago

> 1x Mini Charles the the Hellfire Skeleton

> 3x Polysaturating Reverberating Infusion (Red)

>

> Given the bags sell for about 5-7 silver, just selling one of those Infusions is more of a profit than if I had sold all the bags farmed so far.

You were just extremely lucky. Just saying.

> @"Zaoda.1653" said:

> I think for the amount of junk that you get from thousands of ToT bags, I personally don't think it's worth it opening them. You get tons of toilet paper (useless), rotten eggs (useless), 1-use tonics (useless and unsellable). At best, you get candy corn which you can at least sell back to the trading post, and the skulls/fangs/whatever the other one is that you sell to merchants because they're also pretty much junk.

>

> I hardly ever get any good drops from the ToT bags, and I've certainly never been fortunate enough to get a drop worth over 400g, despite opening 5-6k bags. I'd encourage people to just sell their bags because the drop rates on the good items are absolutely pathetic.

I wouldn't say toilet paper is useless. I throw it at people and enemies at many events I go to. Nothing like a bit of tp to lighten a tedious event.

> @"Zaoda.1653" said:

> > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > I've opened all the bags I've farmed but that's because this is my first Halloween in GW2 and I need the Candy Corn. I figure I must have opened 1500bags or so since Tuesday, as I don't spend more than an hour at a time running Lab, but of those bags, as well as the large bags from completing dailies, I've so far received:

> >

> > 1 x Gift of Spiders

> > 1 x Gift of Souls

> > 1x Pumpkin Smasher

> > 1x Vassago

> > 1x Mini Charles the the Hellfire Skeleton

> > 3x Polysaturating Reverberating Infusion (Red)

> >

> > Given the bags sell for about 5-7 silver, just selling one of those Infusions is more of a profit than if I had sold all the bags farmed so far.

>

> You were just extremely lucky. Just saying.

Indeed.

@"Turkeyspit.3965" scroll up to see the data from over 75k bags:

Getting three from just 1.5k bags is on par to get 150 polysat infusions from 75k, whereas the combined data there shows only 7 polysats (divided among the three colors).

That's the thing about drop rates: with thousands or hundreds of thousands of people opening bags, _someone_ is going to be lucky. It just hardly ever is you (or me or anyone we know).

As always, a matter of personal criteria:

- Someone who needs the mats we get out of those bags should keep opening them.

- Someone who doesn't care about their contents should better sell them for gold.

- Someone who like RNG and at same time, has enough gold not to care about losing gold, should get fun at opening them all.

:)

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Zaoda.1653" said:

> > > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > > I've opened all the bags I've farmed but that's because this is my first Halloween in GW2 and I need the Candy Corn. I figure I must have opened 1500bags or so since Tuesday, as I don't spend more than an hour at a time running Lab, but of those bags, as well as the large bags from completing dailies, I've so far received:

> > >

> > > 1 x Gift of Spiders

> > > 1 x Gift of Souls

> > > 1x Pumpkin Smasher

> > > 1x Vassago

> > > 1x Mini Charles the the Hellfire Skeleton

> > > 3x Polysaturating Reverberating Infusion (Red)

> > >

> > > Given the bags sell for about 5-7 silver, just selling one of those Infusions is more of a profit than if I had sold all the bags farmed so far.

> >

> > You were just extremely lucky. Just saying.

>

> Indeed.

> @"Turkeyspit.3965" scroll up to see the data from over 75k bags:

> Getting three from just 1.5k bags is on par to get 150 polysat infusions from 75k, whereas the combined data there shows only 7 polysats (divided among the three colors).

>

> That's the thing about drop rates: with thousands or hundreds of thousands of people opening bags, _someone_ is going to be lucky. It just hardly ever is you (or me or anyone we know).

I'm not going to argue that point. My guild mates constantly tease me about my stupid-powerful luck. Did a 20 minute run this morning before walking the dog, netted 120 bags (roughly 8g) from which I got the exotic weapon The Cure, which is currently selling for 8g. Probably going to hold onto to it for a few months and see if it increases in value.

All that said though, if you never open the bags, there is no chance of you ever being "lucky". Personally I don't enjoy the Lab that much that I would farm it for bags to sell for gold. Even if you can make 10-20g per hour, I still wouldn't want to spend hours doing that.... The thrill of opening 500bags though? Different story.

As said above though, your mileage may vary.

> @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> I'm not going to argue that point.

You sort of do when you write:

> As said above though, your mileage may vary.

Mileage doesn't really vary in terms of luck: only a handful win jackpots. Where things differ the most is in terms of how much we enjoy the experience: collecting coin (from the TP) will be the most fun for some people, while anticipating a good drop might do it for others.

We can measure the most economically efficient options: we can account for time spent, effort expended, gold that could be earned one way, and gold earned another way. We can't, however, account for the frisson of excitement that one has just before the bags are opened, that moment when even the most rational humans can imagine what it might be like to get a good roll of the dice and walk away with the grand prize.