Obtaining mastery points is tedious.

My two cents on this issue, as a completionist. I'm currently sitting at 246MP. I have all done but the last level of Nuhoch and Itzel masteries, and the raid masteries. I don't raid (mostly because of the snottiness of raid PuGs). I've got all of Tyria and PoF unlocked. So I'm 24 points short in HoT and 8 in the raid masteries. The remaiing HoT mastery points are either repeating the chapters for the MPs and/or doing all the adventures at silver or gold level. Repeating the chapters is dead boring, doing the adventures at sliver and gold levels is beyond my ability (in any reasonable time frame).

So in the case of HoT, it's a combination of boredom and ridiculous skill levels needed for the adventures. The raid masteries are gated, and I don't raid so I'll never get them. This is not a general QQ session. To those who've gotten to 278MP, gratz. I'm just commenting on what the experience has been for me. YMMV.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"AnClar.1304" said:

> My two cents on this issue, as a completionist. I'm currently sitting at 246MP. I have all done but the last level of Nuhoch and Itzel masteries, and the raid masteries. I don't raid (mostly because of the snottiness of raid PuGs). I've got all of Tyria and PoF unlocked. So I'm 24 points short in HoT and 8 in the raid masteries. The remaiing HoT mastery points are either repeating the chapters for the MPs and/or doing all the adventures at silver or gold level. Repeating the chapters is dead boring, doing the adventures at sliver and gold levels is beyond my ability (in any reasonable time frame).

>

> So in the case of HoT, it's a combination of boredom and ridiculous skill levels needed for the adventures. The raid masteries are gated, and I don't raid so I'll never get them. This is not a general QQ session. To those who've gotten to 278MP, gratz. I'm just commenting on what the experience has been for me. YMMV.

I'm not a completionist and I'm sitting right about where you are regarding HoT masteries. Basically I can live without being able use Adrenal Mushrooms or the last tier of whatever the LS S3 mastery is. To grind HoT adventures until I get Gold for mastery points is just not how I want to spend my gaming time.

I'm not a completionist yet I have everything in HoT unlocked.

I have tried raids only one time, unsuccessfully, and only got gold on the easiest of the adventures, the pit one, and just a pair of silvers on other easy ones.

If you don't do raids or adventures, you still have 150 points to complete the 144 required to get all the masteries from HoT.

> @"TopBadge.3569" said:

> > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > > @"TopBadge.3569" said:

> > > > > @"DeanBB.4268" said:

> > > > > It's just a frame of mind. At first I had the same type of thoughts, before I realized that XP just doesn't matter. Heck, on my core-only accounts, the XP bar fills and then... nothing. It just restarts. So you have to change how you think about XP since this is not like other (dare I say old-school?) games/D&D.

> > > > >

> > > > > So think of XP after level 80 just as a way of advancing the masteries. If you get stuck for a while and the XP "goes to waste" -- eh, whatever, it just doesn't matter since it has no practical value anyway.

> > > > >

> > > > > Do make sure to max the masteries that are available while you wait for enough points to unlock whichever one is next. That way once you gather enough mastery points you can get rewarded instantly and then move on to the next.

> > > >

> > > > I don't have enough points to unlock anything because the only ones lefts are spoon collecting and replaying stories to get achievements.

> > >

> > > I have this same issue and I need another 15 points to unlock HoT legendary crafting..

> > >

> > > Only MPs I have left are collections like spoons n stuff..

> > >

> > > I regret maxing pact commander.

> >

> > Uh, how do you not have enough to unlock and master everything...I unlocked all of them with the exception of the Raid one...and still have points leftover for both Core and HoT, and now the same with PoF.

>

>

> The problem isn't that there isn't enough, the problem is that is the content required for the few remaining makes me want to cough up blood.

> I don't want to go on an RNG spoon collecting spree.

> I don't want to speed all my money on skins I don't want/need.

> I don't want to repeat poor story content I've already done because it prevents interaction with other players in this mmo.

>

> This content is an absolute core and I feel I am actively punished for not grinding through the monotony.

>

> These mastery points are not rewarded for any meaningful content. you didn't get one because you made it to the next frac tier or killed all the world bosses at least once no you got it because you bought all the culture amour. wow.

Idk, ppl nowadays want everything handed out so easily, without even use a bit the wiki to search.

[Mastery Points](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_point_unlocks "Mastery Points"). You said you want MP for completing fractals? There are 15 MPs in the Fractal tab. Some of them are very easy, like killing 8 chickens in underground fractal or just /bow to the colossus. You want to get MPs for killing world bosses? There are 5 MPs for the Triple Trouble, 2 for Tequatl, 5 for the legendaries in SW. ArenaNet already introduced 9 new Mastery Insight in Central Tyria (1-2 years ago), to don't let the people feel like they needed to buy LW2. I have 20 MP spare and I only recently completed the spoon (took months to find it in WvW) and I still need the fashion one (farming badges casually).

> @"Urud.4925" said:

> > @"TopBadge.3569" said:

> > > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > > > @"TopBadge.3569" said:

> > > > > > @"DeanBB.4268" said:

> > > > > > It's just a frame of mind. At first I had the same type of thoughts, before I realized that XP just doesn't matter. Heck, on my core-only accounts, the XP bar fills and then... nothing. It just restarts. So you have to change how you think about XP since this is not like other (dare I say old-school?) games/D&D.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > So think of XP after level 80 just as a way of advancing the masteries. If you get stuck for a while and the XP "goes to waste" -- eh, whatever, it just doesn't matter since it has no practical value anyway.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Do make sure to max the masteries that are available while you wait for enough points to unlock whichever one is next. That way once you gather enough mastery points you can get rewarded instantly and then move on to the next.

> > > > >

> > > > > I don't have enough points to unlock anything because the only ones lefts are spoon collecting and replaying stories to get achievements.

> > > >

> > > > I have this same issue and I need another 15 points to unlock HoT legendary crafting..

> > > >

> > > > Only MPs I have left are collections like spoons n stuff..

> > > >

> > > > I regret maxing pact commander.

> > >

> > > Uh, how do you not have enough to unlock and master everything...I unlocked all of them with the exception of the Raid one...and still have points leftover for both Core and HoT, and now the same with PoF.

> >

> >

> > The problem isn't that there isn't enough, the problem is that is the content required for the few remaining makes me want to cough up blood.

> > I don't want to go on an RNG spoon collecting spree.

> > I don't want to speed all my money on skins I don't want/need.

> > I don't want to repeat poor story content I've already done because it prevents interaction with other players in this mmo.

> >

> > This content is an absolute core and I feel I am actively punished for not grinding through the monotony.

> >

> > These mastery points are not rewarded for any meaningful content. you didn't get one because you made it to the next frac tier or killed all the world bosses at least once no you got it because you bought all the culture amour. wow.

>

> Idk, ppl nowadays want everything handed out so easily, without even use a bit the wiki to search.

> [Mastery Points](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_point_unlocks "Mastery Points"). You said you want MP for completing fractals? There are 15 MPs in the Fractal tab. Some of them are very easy, like killing 8 chickens in underground fractal or just /bow to the colossus. You want to get MPs for killing world bosses? There are 5 MPs for the Triple Trouble, 2 for Tequatl, 5 for the legendaries in SW. ArenaNet already introduced 9 new Mastery Insight in Central Tyria (1-2 years ago), to don't let the people feel like they needed to buy LW2. I have 20 MP spare and I only recently completed the spoon (took months to find it in WvW) and I still need the fashion one (farming badges casually).

I dont want it handed out to me, if its going to require an extensive amount of time doing something I dont enjoy then I won't do it and play PvP or another game I do enjoy...

Its fine by me to play this way, ill either get it done eventually or quit the game for another, which will probably be the case because I bought my family a "blueray online digital entertainment system" for xmas that just happens to play PS4 games... ?

I'm not saying that you must suffer to collect them, that wasn't my intention. But sentences like "_These mastery points are not rewarded for any meaningful content. you didn't get one because you made it to the next frac tier or killed all the world bosses at least once no you got it because you bought all the culture amour. wow._" are simply false.

You find MPs both doing easy/boring contents AND tough ones. If the OP finds the scavenger collections boring, he's not forced to do them. If you are a new player and don't have the gold to buy the cultural armor, you're not forced to do it. If the OP wants the challenges, THERE ARE MPs as rewards for challenging contents. And if someone doesn't want to do hard contents... well, in that case there are the boring scavenger collections, or the achievements for the story. ANET gave us the options to choose.

EDIT: also remember that you can bring a friend for the LW2 achievements. That helps a lot, for some of them.

> @"AnClar.1304" said:

> My two cents on this issue, as a completionist. I'm currently sitting at 246MP. I have all done but the last level of Nuhoch and Itzel masteries, and the raid masteries. I don't raid (mostly because of the snottiness of raid PuGs). I've got all of Tyria and PoF unlocked. So I'm 24 points short in HoT and 8 in the raid masteries. The remaiing HoT mastery points are either repeating the chapters for the MPs and/or doing all the adventures at silver or gold level. Repeating the chapters is dead boring, doing the adventures at sliver and gold levels is beyond my ability (in any reasonable time frame).

>

> So in the case of HoT, it's a combination of boredom and ridiculous skill levels needed for the adventures. The raid masteries are gated, and I don't raid so I'll never get them. This is not a general QQ session. To those who've gotten to 278MP, gratz. I'm just commenting on what the experience has been for me. YMMV.

Check achivments for LW3 maps, trust me I have only done easy games for silver( I hate those mini-games), got 2 gold from pit in VB and that race in TD, took me 2 attempts each. I was on the page you are now, then I checked LW3 MAP (not story) Mastery Points :)

Bare in mind HoT was and stays grindy content. But i found its more easy to tip a mesmer for 3 gold to take me to chalices of tears and I jumped that hand of Aba myself etc. When i stopped worrying about poits themselfs and just start to look for things to do for MPs in LW3 it starts to be somehow fun. I was worrying of achievements in Bloodstone Fen, surprisingly map is alive and people do more things there then in whole Desert region(excluding Istan). Same was with Draconic Mons. That is all thanks to Aurora I guess.

> @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > @"LadyRhonwyn.2501" said:

> > > @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > > I still need 4 more central tyria masteries to complete the legendary mastery line. And, honestly, I don't care at all about that. I just play content to have fun, XP and masteries are just collateral.

> >

> > I need 7. And yes, I play to have fun. But I cannot remove the XP floaters when I kill something or finish something. Yet that XP doesn't go to me. Because Anet wants me to play Fractals with complete strangers.

>

> But you don't *need* to play Fractals with *anybody* to max out the Central Tyria Mastery tracks. Look at the list I posted on page 1: none of those things involved running Fractals, and none of them involved endlessly repeating LS2 content to finish all the achievements.

Tripple Trouble and Tequatl show up at times I don't/can't play. And at the times I do play when they show up, there aren't any organized maps. That's at least 4 MP's that are next to impossible for me to get (the three heads and one for killing all three heads). That's simply one mechanic of the game I really don't like (and doesn't fit with my play style at all): world bosses at specified times with extreme long waiting times.

I finally manged to get the last MP last weekend as we had a few new guildies who were interested in Fractals and as they were new, we went and did some low level fractals (the daily ones, who happened to all have a MP I needed...)