Scepter: Clunky & Unfun?

bart.3687

> @Esplen.3940 said:

> Really? Well, considering how finicky the abilities are (and how easy it is to cancel casts on them all), I can agree. But I also disagree because Staff has always had an identity crisis.

The skill flow on scepter just doesn't work for me.

The most reliable clone generation is on auto attack chain 3 which takes too long to get. Scepter 2 generates clone but only upon blocking. Scepter 3 has high damage but it is easiest thing to interrupt in the world.

All 3 skills on scepter are just super unreliable.

Staff at least have 3 very good skills. Phase retreat is good kiting skill combined with efficient clone generation. Phantasmal warlock has low CD and can potentially hit hard. Chaos storm is amazing group utility.

> @Exciton.8942 said:

> > @Esplen.3940 said:

> > Really? Well, considering how finicky the abilities are (and how easy it is to cancel casts on them all), I can agree. But I also disagree because Staff has always had an identity crisis.

>

> The skill flow on scepter just doesn't work for me.

>

> The most reliable clone generation is on auto attack chain 3 which takes too long to get. Scepter 2 generates clone but only upon blocking. Scepter 3 has high damage but it is easiest thing to interrupt in the world.

>

> All 3 skills on scepter are just super unreliable.

>

This is what I'm talking about. All of them are way too clunky. Maybe if the animations were actually good it would be easier to stand it... Although I would like them to kinda rework the way abilities function (especially Scepter #2 in PvE), not only change the visuals, but oh well...

Nothing's gonna happen, probably. :disappointed:

> @Pelto.9364 said:

> Somehow I survive much better with scepter/sword in WvW. I play both dire condi and assassin/zerk mesmers with scepter/sword. I often don't use the second weapon set. I would say this: if you have no skill to gank thief with gs, power scepter/sword is best weapon set. Just remember "blind on shatter" trait which is very good.

So what? It would be weird if it was harder to survive in PVP/WvW with 2 blocks (sc/sw) than without any means of defense (gs).

This doesn't change the fact how awful and visually-poor scepter is. (please stop those comments about scepter being viable in pvp/wvw, I've already said that I'm aware of that, but it doesn't change anything and those comments bring nothing to the table.)

I was just thinking how terrible Scepter Mirage is until I decided to re-trait to focus on Scepter and Torch cooldowns, so I took the Illusions trait line.

I couldn't believe the difference it made!

If you go Scepter Mirage, you have to try Illusions T3 Major - **Malicious Sorcery**. It increases the attack speed of the Ambush as well, which makes focusing on Ambush attacks with the scepter really strong and fun!

> @Serak.8394 said:

> If you go Scepter Mirage, you have to try Illusions T3 Major - **Malicious Sorcery**. It increases the attack speed of the Ambush as well, which makes focusing on Ambush attacks with the scepter really strong and fun!

Scepter without that trait doesn't exist, they might as well make it baseline at this point.

But congrats on discovering it.

> @Serak.8394 said:

> I was just thinking how terrible Scepter Mirage is until I decided to re-trait to focus on Scepter and Torch cooldowns, so I took the Illusions trait line.

> I couldn't believe the difference it made!

> If you go Scepter Mirage, you have to try Illusions T3 Major - **Malicious Sorcery**. It increases the attack speed of the Ambush as well, which makes focusing on Ambush attacks with the scepter really strong and fun!

It's called bad design when a weapon completely sucks without its trait.

I'm glad that you enjoy it, but I wouldn't say its ambush is strong to be honest. It's actually pretty disappointing to me. Scepter doesn't need a 2nd channeling skill. It is clunky enough with just one.