The scourge abrasive grit change was not a nerf on might generation pre sanctuary rune

Steelpusher.1684

Context: If you trait for maximum shielding using traits and utilities (not runes), a scourge will provide barrier on:

Manifest sand shade

Sand cascade

Serpent siphon

Sand flare

(Ignoring portal, as this is an unreliable one for might generation)

On the previous rendition of the trait (2 might on barrier application, no icd), a total of 0.48 might per second per person could be generated from this trait, using a perfect rotation.

If you had alacrity, this might generation was 0.6 might per second per person.

The new rendition of the trait (3 might on barrier application, 5 second icd) allows you to supply 0.6 might per second, using perfect rotation.

Here's the good parts:

This is independant of alacrity! This means non alacrity groups gain same might as alacrity groups.

Additionally, the duration got buffed from 6s to 8s... this means you keep the same amount of might for a longer time.

In a group with alacrity, you can maintain the same quantity of might but be able to apply it with just your heal, manifest and sand cascade! (More free utility!)

The bad parts:

Can't see i.c.d. of barrier application, but mostly restricted by barrier skills anyway.

Cant ramp up might as fast, but this can be worked around with precasting!

You don't get it, why it was a nerf.

The icd makes scourges in PvP modes even more dependant on support than before.

Also, it was a straight up pve nerf.

In pve (high-end) you are most likely never taken as a necro, except for pug groups, or if completely new content is out.

But as a support scourge you don't take:

1. Sandflare - because you want the healing well for rezzing

2. Serpent siphon, as it's completely useless in any gamemode - no damage and the barrier only drops if you hit enemies. So to be effective, you have to hit 5 enemies, and you also have to have 5 allies walk through the barrier thingies

3. Sandflare - only very rare in PvP modes

So what do you want to do: cast F1, but the barrier you can get from this is a joke (it can barely block arena ticks in raids boss fights), so you almost all of the times have to cast f3 as well, which now won't cleanse a condition or give might.

For pvp: I admit, this is the only game mode I do not play, but it should just take some adapting to play

For pve: Well if you arent taking these, then you only produce barrier using F1 (if traited) and F2 - these are the main providers of the might using abrasive gift anyway, but if you only have these 2 barrier applications, then you have been BUFFED in might generation, as the ICD is so much smaller than the 15s and 10s cds of those 2 skills, but now provide 3 might per activation, for longer, instead of the 2 before.

So you either sacrifice everything for a perfect might rotation or you do your job and suck at your might rotation? You know I can maintain 25 might stack on my group easily with an elementalist by using fire fields and blast by sacrificing less damage/support than you do by restraining the scourge into a perfect rotation with this trait. I might even be able to do it with an engineer if I push myself.

PS.: It's F3 not F2, F2 convert one condition into a boon.