The whisper notification sound, any plans to give it a seperate volume setting

Buckeye.9846

To have a noticeable whisper notification you need to turn up your [uI volume] and [Master volume] really high, but this increase the volume of all other UI sound which makes the game unbearable to play, like consuming luck, opening bags, using the condy corn gobbler and all the other UI.

A seperate volume setting with only the whisper notification would be very appreciated. Also different notifications to choose from would be nice, the sound from the notification can be mistaken for spells effects.

• ArenaNet Staff

Hi Buckeye, your question has kicked off a lively discussion in the audio hallway. I don't see us adding a slider dedicated to a specific sound, but you are shining a light on something that might need some attention in the mix. As the new guy here on the team, this is motivating me to do a deep dive on the UI audio levels. We can't promise anything, but you make a good case for the sound to reviewed and potentially adjusted.

> @"Jason Wolford II.4761" said:

> Hi Buckeye, your question has kicked off a lively discussion in the audio hallway.

I actually agree with the dude. I mean the many times I've probably ignored people when semi AFK just because there is no decent way to hear or know when you are being messaged. I would definitely be thankful for it, although I must admit, there are so many amazing ideas out there, small or large that do not get any attention, so I can understand if this is low on the list, too.

This has been issue since GW1 when trade requests had a very short and quiet ping, while people spammed screaming ghost boxes all around town that were perhaps the loudest thing in the entire game. A similar thing happens in GW2 where the use of Tomes (or something with the same effect) can be spammed with a very loud noise, even though there is no reason for it to appear on other clients at all. A review of whether sounds should play on other clients (taking into account the importance of other players being aware vs the potential for noise spam/trolling), and subsequently normalizing the volume of those sounds, would be very much appreciated.

> @"Leablo.2651" said:

> A similar thing happens in GW2 where the use of Tomes (or something with the same effect) can be spammed with a very loud noise, even though there is no reason for it to appear on other clients at all.

Ahh, the Tomes... I always have to move away from the bank, when someone starts to use their 70+ ToK, so annoying indeed. Not big issues in the end, but applause to the Jason's proactivity :)

> @"Leablo.2651" said:

> A similar thing happens in GW2 where the use of Tomes (or something with the same effect) can be spammed with a very loud noise, even though there is no reason for it to appear on other clients at all.

There are several items that does it and there is no reason to be heard to anyone else, coming to mind are recipes and finishers. The noise fest during halloween is real O.o

I can see a reason for Tomes being noisy, actually the sound is due leveling up, but no reason for recipes and finishers to warn anyone around.

P.S.: However, I didn't pay much attention but it seems the last (about finishers) has been changed, I haven't heard that noise so much on latest halloween, either it changed or people didn't care about unlocking them lol.

• ArenaNet Staff

Thanks all for your feedback and for shining a light on something that is not working as well as it could. This seems like a request that we will be able to address, I'm not sure when. But you've all made a really good case for doing something differently with the audio so the whisper notifications do not get lost in the mix. Thank you for helping us to make the game better.