Custom sounds for weapons

hugo.4705

I'm wondering, are you planning to add custom sound effects to gemstore weapons and maybe unique weapon skins like the cure?

~Arcane marksman rifle really need an energetic sound like a light saber or light beam.

~Sound of Injection for the cure?

Several weapons in that case, sword sound for belinda rapier and so on...

What about bl sets like mk II, desert king...?

^ Yes thanks for this question!

To name a few:

Arcane Marksman Rifle - Needs an individual sound and rescaling. My friend bought an AMR skin, but it turned out to be like a blunderbuss!

Holosmith's Sword/The Cutting Edge - The sounds are like of those normal swords when equipped by a Warrior, Thief, etc.

Inquest Mark II Sword and Dagger - Just like TCE, should be more of a laser sword/dagger. Please fix!

Dreamthistle Weapon Skins - I hope these skins do not have that metal clunky sound when I purchase one because it'll be a downer!

Also please add some individual sound effects to them when drawn, why are some weapons still sound like metal when drawn/stowed when they are not?

• ArenaNet Staff

There has been a lot of back-and-forth on custom sounds for non-Legendary weapons. We've received complaints in the past about gemstore weapons with custom sounds making Legendary weapons feel less significant, so we decided to not add custom sounds to gemstore weapons.

There are rare occasions where certain gemstore weapons really _need_ custom sounds, but that comes down to careful consideration and, at times, available bandwidth.

Conversations are still happening about this topic, so thank you for your requests. We'll make note of them for future consideration. :)

Thanks for the reply, @"Joseph Clark II.3425" ! :D, Imho, I don't think that adding sounds will decrease the value of a legendary, I have myself the predator, which I created only to get those footsteps and flame aura, I don't care of the pew pew sound. If I could apply the predator aura to my toon without crafting the legendary, I would have not crafted her. For 600 gems, the design is a great thing but the audio have a major role too, I'm very attentive to details even weapon description/lore texts on some of them. :)

> @"Joseph Clark II.3425" said:

> There has been a lot of back-and-forth on custom sounds for non-Legendary weapons. We've received complaints in the past about gemstore weapons with custom sounds making Legendary weapons feel less significant, so we decided to not add custom sounds to gemstore weapons.

>

> There are rare occasions where certain gemstore weapons really _need_ custom sounds, but that comes down to careful consideration and, at times, available bandwidth.

>

> Conversations are still happening about this topic, so thank you for your requests. We'll make note of them for future consideration. :)

How troublesome. I myself have Bolt, and I do enjoy the sound effects - but I really don't mind other weapons have sounds.

I think it must be difficult to handle that kind of dilemma, but I think if you set a criteria, like only a legendary can have sounds effects AND "high-tier flash" (full body auras, footfalls, the works). Whereas a gem store skin could have sound effects, and "low-tier flash" (glowing parts on the weapon, a trail effect like Venom Warblade). I think that would be fair criteria.

Thank you for your reply, just to take note that the same thing can be said to non-gemstore items such as Holosmith's Sword / The Cutting Edge.

I agree that the uniqueness of weapon sounds doesn't entirely bring down Legendary Weapons' overall value, whereas in these weapons they have unique footfalls and adjustable stats on-demand which separates them from normal and gemstore weapon sets.

The reason why we are pushing for this with ardor is because of the appropriateness of the sounds in relation to the weapon that they are representing. Hearing some Sylvari plant-based weapon do a metal sheathing sound when stowed or drawn doesn't add immersion and sounds less appealing. I hope your team understands.

> @"Isle of Stars.3049" said:

> Thank you for your reply, just to take note that the same thing can be said to non-gemstore items such as Holosmith's Sword / The Cutting Edge.

>

> I agree that the uniqueness of weapon sounds doesn't entirely bring down Legendary Weapons' overall value, whereas in these weapons they have unique footfalls and adjustable stats on-demand which separates them from normal and gemstore weapon sets.

>

> The reason why we are pushing for this with ardor is because of the appropriateness of the sounds in relation to the weapon that they are representing. Hearing some Sylvari plant-based weapon do a metal sheathing sound when stowed or drawn doesn't add immersion and sounds less appealing. I hope your team understands.

So much this (speaking of the last paragraph). I don't really see who will argue against sounds added for more realism, or for weapons they've paid for (gemstore) considering here real money and with gold.

Whoever said that the special sounds for other than legendary weapons are wrong, shouldn't be saying that, because the sounds should not determine the value and the cost, just how it fits to the item. For example the winter-related warhorn has this nice sound of jingle bells when you use a skill. That's great, and as far as the sound fits, don't mind those weird opinion, because they just keep you from being creative.

But if it's a decision that the whole team agrees with, then let it stay as it is. To me adding more flavours is amazing and make the experience in the game richer.