“Guttural” sound effects

AllNightPlayer.1286

I have some questions about the **guttural sound effects/voiceovers** *(moaning, sighing, screaming etc.)*.

#creating guttural voiceovers

GW2 has a big database of in-house *(at least it seems so to me)* guttural voiceovers. Creating a database for guttural sounds appear to be a lot of hard work, therefore, they are mostly reused for many projects *(films, video games etc.)*. Example: I quite remember hearing those villagers screams, which I first heard in *Lionhead’s* **Black & White**, in different games, which were not even from *Lionhead* or *Microsoft*.

> How hard is/was it to produce such a big guttural sound pack? How long did it take and how many voice actors did you use?

I know, some voice actors did multiple characters: Male **Asura** and male **Humans** have the same actor and female **Asura** and female **Charr** have the same actress. But I also know, that you recycled the *Wilhelm scream* for dying **Grawl**. :kissing_wink:

#missing gutturals for female Sylvari

While you created such a big set of guttural sound effects, there is something I never did understand.

Many guttural sounds of the female **Sylvari** are *not* done by the original voice actress, which also did female **Centaurs**. Many sounds are being reused from the female **Humans**, which is quite noticeable, since the **Sylvari** voice actress has a very distinctive voice, while the actress for the female **Humans** has a higher pitch.

> Why is the guttural sound set of the female **Sylvari** incomplete? There were no recycled sounds for the other main races. Would it still be possible to “complete” the **Sylvari** guttural voiceovers?

Examples *(with **GW2 browser** (`numbers`)—under the folder “Sounds”)*:

There is only one unique *death scream* for female **Sylvari** (`31031`), the rest *(3 out of 4)* is filled up with female **Human** *death screams* (`31028, 31029, 31030`).

The following sound effects from female **Humans** have also been reused for female **Sylvari**:

* 2 “being crippled” screams (`31070, 31071`),

* 1 “being knocked down” scream (`31100`),

* all “being electrocuted” screams (`31170, 31171, 31173, 31174`),

* all “riffle jumps” (`31175, 31176, 31177`),

* and much more.

Maybe I am complaining about this, since I really like the work of both guttural voice actors, who did the male and female **Sylvari**—it seems, they really put much passion into it. But I am also complaining, since this “recycling” only happens on female **Sylvari** and not on the other races and the “discontinuity” is quite noticeable. :'(