Returning Player Here: Wondering if I should boost to lvl80?

I used to play Guild Wars 2 throughout the years but I was always a massive altoholic. I have a few lvl50 characters and such, but I always like making new characters. I managed to get a lvl40 boost and I have around 40 Tomes of Knowledge so I can boost myself to lvl80 if I wanted to. I'm not so sure if I should though...

I find the game very easy; it's mostly about going to events and trying to get enough damage in to get XP because of the insane amounts of maxed players around. I've heard the game gets much harder after lvl80 so maybe I should give that a go? How do you get the the "new area"? Is there anything I should do or know beforehand?

Thanks!

> @"TwoSiders.6893" said:

> I used to play Guild Wars 2 throughout the years but I was always a massive altoholic. I have a few lvl50 characters and such, but I always like making new characters. I managed to get a lvl40 boost and I have around 40 Tomes of Knowledge so I can boost myself to lvl80 if I wanted to. I'm not so sure if I should though...

>

> I find the game very easy; it's mostly about going to events and trying to get enough damage in to get XP because of the insane amounts of maxed players around. I've heard the game gets much harder after lvl80 so maybe I should give that a go? How do you get the the "new area"? Is there anything I should do or know beforehand?

>

> Thanks!

Hi, that's a good question.

I would recommend enjoying the beginning levels (if you like early adventures/character building from scratch). I really enjoyed starting a Norn ranger character while taking a break from my level 80 mesmer a couple of years ago. It was a lot of fun. Well, my Norn is still only level 20, but it doesn't matter, when I want to I can return to her and continue the story in the Shiverpeaks.

HOWEVER - and here's the spin, lol.... IF you equally enjoy just jumping straight into the action and not bothering with slowly getting skills etc, then I would just go for the level 80 character. You can still play the storymode for your race, but the only difference will be you will be able to use all your skills/level 80 weapon sets giving you more options.

I've made a couple of characters recently: a femal human elementalist, and a male human guardian, and I decided to use my level 80 boosts on each of them, because for me personally, going through the entire plotline of storymode again is not for me, it's far too long. Nowadays I just play to enjoy the action and get the post level-80 masteries and abilities.

:)

> I find the game very easy; it's mostly about going to events and trying to get enough damage in to get XP because of the insane amounts of maxed players around. I've heard the game gets much harder after lvl80 so maybe I should give that a go? How do you get the the "new area"? Is there anything I should do or know beforehand?

>

> Thanks!

If you're thinking about using the level 80 booster, don't. Regardless if you're a new player or a returning player, skipping content is not a good way to learn/relearn the game. It's true that the vanilla game is easy, but once you start playing the expansions, that's where things get more challenging.

Simply starting the expansion stories in the story journal will direct you towards the new areas, if this is what you mean by getting to the new areas. And finally, if you're wondering about using exotic over ascended gear in PvE, that's completely fine. As long as it's in open world PvE and dungeons, exotic gear is perfectly fine.

Thank you for the replies guys.

I think what I might do is use a level 30 boost solely, and level the rest of the way. Anything under that level I've experienced multiple times already.

> Simply starting the expansion stories in the story journal will direct you towards the new areas, if this is what you mean by getting to the new areas. And finally, if you're wondering about using exotic over ascended gear in PvE, that's completely fine. As long as it's in open world PvE and dungeons, exotic gear is perfectly fine.

It's funny you say about the ascended gear. I already found a bunch of lvl80 ascended weapons yesterday in Gendarran fields, just by simply hitting new event bosses next to the dozens of max level characters. It's pretty comical honestly. Also gave me 2 instant level ups. Guess GW2 went down the fast vanilla leveling route, same as WoW has.

> It's funny you say about the ascended gear. I already found a bunch of lvl80 ascended weapons yesterday in Gendarran fields, just by simply hitting new event bosses next to the dozens of max level characters. It's pretty comical honestly. Also gave me 2 instant level ups. Guess GW2 went down the fast vanilla leveling route, same as WoW has.

I'm just going to assume you're joking because you can't get ascended armor or weapons from random drops. Maybe by completing the Tequatl the Sunless boss fight can give you some ascended gear by a small chance, but other than that, there's no other way to get ascended gear.

Also, 2 instant level ups? Unless you used 2 Tomes of Knowledge, there's no way to instantly level up twice? You probably got rare/exotic gear from the "Defeat the invading Awakened" event considering that it takes place in Gendarran Fields and you might have fought a champion that's followed up by a legendary bandit executioner for you to get that kind of gear.

If you were a new player, I'd say you should level. Experience with learning the environment or some such as reasoning. At least I feel that's what someone would want me to say... But, since you're a returning player, save yourself the boredom and wasted time and just boost right to level 80. Anything below level 80, you'll be scaled down to match anyway, and you won't have to deal with the tedium of having restricted skills and traits.