Why does animation cancelling/skill cancelling certain utilities drain energy?

Blue.1207

I just noticed this now by cancelling Icerazor's Ire before getting dunked on by Gorsevald's retaliation, why is this a thing?

Skills that currently still consume energy when stowed/cancelled without gaining any positive effects/buffs/stunbreaks (this largely excludes Jalis Elite & Mallyx Pain Suppression):

Mallyx - Heal.

Kalla - Heal, All Utilities, Ultimate (triggers energy use before pip regen is affected), Heroic Command (F1).

Jalis - Inspiring Reinforcement, Forced Engagement.

Maybe I'm overlooking something, but the traits mentioned above share the same characteristics, where all others do not use any energy/ are insta cast / do not consume energy when stowed/cancelled. They do these even with "blank" trait templates. Weapon skills do not behave in the same manner.

Pretty weird, and slightly annoying.

Not exactly sure why this is a thing. Does it work the same way with initiative for Thief? The only benefit from it that I have found is that you can precast skills before legend-swapping so you don't drain energy in the new legend. I do this a lot with Jalis elite and it is quite helpful. Unfortunately stowing as a strategy is a bit of a double-edged sword for Rev in comparison to other classes. At least we can stow with Jade Winds and Big Dragon. Kinda weird that Jade does function differently, actually.

I think it depends on the skill. Skills normally have a charging phase and active phase - I think once you enter the active phase energy will be drain and the skill is put on full CD - that's why Glint Elite and Jade Winds can be cancelled, because their CC/damage part happen at the very end, so when the entire cast time is charging phase. Jalis elite functions differently because it's a stun break, and so since the stun break part is at the beginning, its entire cast time is considered active phase and thus can't be cancelled and will always drain energy upon use.

@"Blue.1207" What exact skills are you referring to?

> @"idolin.2831" said:

> I think it depends on the skill. Skills normally have a charging phase and active phase - I think once you enter the active phase energy will be drain and the skill is put on full CD - that's why Glint Elite and Jade Winds can be cancelled, because their CC/damage part happen at the very end, so when the entire cast time is charging phase. Jalis elite functions differently because it's a stun break, and so since the stun break part is at the beginning, its entire cast time is considered active phase and thus can't be cancelled and will always drain energy upon use.

>

> @"Blue.1207" What exact skills are you referring to?

I just updated my original post.