Monetizing WvW, without breaking it

Hesacon.8735

> @"Skotlex.7580" said:

> > @"Jura.2170" said:

> > > @"Hesacon.8735" said:

> > > I know most of us who frequent this forum wish that ArenaNet could dedicate more resources to wvw development, for example finishing the alliance system. Unlike other game modes, I can't imagine wvw is a big money maker and anet is a business.

> > >

> > > What else could be added that wouldn't fundamentally change wvw, but would allow a greater justification for more development?

> >

> > Well, even if we wvw'ers spent more money, how would we know our money goes back into wvw development?

> >

> > You already saw in the other thread, Arenanet's parent company NCSoft used a lot of money to make 2 new games that have been cancelled. Some of that money probably came from GW2 gem store sales and expansion sales. They could have reinvested the money back into GW2, but they instead put it into something else. If Arenanet starts getting more money from us, would NCSoft let Anet use it for wvw and other gw2 development?

> >

> > We would need some kind of promise from Arenanet that any extra money we spend would be kept by them and used for the game, not something else

>

> Uhm, I am pretty sure ANet is an independent subsidiary of NCsoft, which means the latter gets a part of the former's income, but ANet is free to do whatever they want with their share. Think of it as paying your taxes.

Or.. force layoffs? That's not independent. That's having another company tell anet what's up. That's EA to bioware/treyarch/maxis/bullfrog/pandenic

I think the debate kinda got put to bed yesterday.

> @"Straegen.2938" said:

> The WvW player pool is too small to effectively monetize it. They could collect $5 a month from core WvW players and it probably wouldn't even pay for a couple more devs.

Which is also the reason there are so few updates. They have the metrics on the player base and who spends $$. Yes some wvw spend $$, but their metrics say the money is in the pve pop

1. Tonics, the original skins in WvW

2. Structure skins for a claimed SMC, keep and tower instead of a small banner with guild icon.

3. WvW exclusive weapons and armor skins, usable only in WvW

4. Siege skins

5. Siege effects

6. Capes

7. Dolyak skins from claimed camps

8. Instead of an individual /dance, make it for an entire guild.

9. Ballista finishing move

Guild Swag and Skins, as noted by so many others.

It'd be a bit awkward putting guild skins in the store, though. Players would have to buy some unique guild currency that could then be used to buy the skins, but even that is indirect and may not catch on. Maybe if guilds could earn the currency in WvW then it wouldn't be as much of a stretch to have players donate it...like how Influence used to work.

Then again, maybe Influence was removed because it didn't generate revenue...?

> @"Leo.5829" said:

> Infinite basic siege weapons in the gemstore. Kinda like the gathering tools. 1000 gems for the different weapons (ram, catapult, treb ...) and then add fancy siege weapon skins for example catapults that shoots choya.

That's an idea I like, I'd actually buy those!

> @"Sviel.7493" said:

> Guild Swag and Skins, as noted by so many others.

>

> It'd be a bit awkward putting guild skins in the store, though. Players would have to buy some unique guild currency that could then be used to buy the skins, but even that is indirect and may not catch on. Maybe if guilds could earn the currency in WvW then it wouldn't be as much of a stretch to have players donate it...like how Influence used to work.

>

> Then again, maybe Influence was removed because it didn't generate revenue...?

The novelties function might have some cool uses here. Think the "learn to dance" or costume novelties, you could invite everyone in a zerg to wear some guild skin. Commanders might like it because it hides them in a crowd and cuts down pin sniping.